HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/mag...ax_harbour.asp

clicking on the map of Halifax shows the projected sea level rise and strom surge.
Looks like whomever named Upper and Lower Water Street was quite the prophesier.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Looks like whomever named Upper and Lower Water Street was quite the prophesier.

that's not scientifically accurate, it's done with bull shit Pseudoscience mathematics, yes global warming is a real thing but it's not remotely possible for the sea levels to rise 1.3 meters in 50 years even if the ice was melting at 10 times the rate. The sea levels are rising by [2.8 to 3.6] mm per year and thats the peek numbers, it's been between 0.8 mm 1.8 mm/yr for the past 10 years. Do the math yourself how long that takes to equal a mater and how asinine it is to say it can jump to 1.3 meters in 50 years. Sea leave rise would have to start jumping at 20 mm a year 10 years ago to meat that projection

the real projected sea level rise by 2100 is (30–120 cm).

And some land massive aren't going to experience much of a sea level rise because the the ice caps are weighing down the tectonic plates and as they melt that pressure is being relieved and the landmass is going to rise, places like Ice land wont see a sea level rise ever.

That graphvpisses me off so much because it was made by a fucking idiot that's out of their depth no pun intended on what they are talking about

Last edited by hokus83; Jul 15, 2015 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:49 PM

Note that it's the "projected risk of flooding for 2100" and then a "50-year" scenario on top of that (it's unclear whether they mean 2150 or 50 years from now though). If we're talking 2150 then the numbers check out a bit better because the rate of sea level rise is probably not linear. Still not a great graphic though, and generally Halifax is relatively invulnerable to sea level rise compared to many other places in Atlantic Canada as well as Montreal (surprisingly) and Vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
I didn't include the text of your quote as I don't want your choice of language to be part of my post.

Did you actually read the article posted by JET that the diagram was taken from?

Sounds like they are basing their theories on scientific evidence to me...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I

Sounds like they are basing their theories on scientific evidence to me...
well that's your problem then because it's not real science in the slightest

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Note that it's the "projected risk of flooding for 2100" and then a "50-year" scenario on top of that (it's unclear whether they mean 2150 or 50 years from now though). If we're talking 2150 then the numbers check out a bit better because the rate of sea level rise is probably not linear. Still not a great graphic though, and generally Halifax is relatively invulnerable to sea level rise compared to many other places in Atlantic Canada as well as Montreal (surprisingly) and Vancouver.
even if sea level rise jumped to 4 times the rate it would still take a 100 years to reach a meter by that mark, we're not at that point yet

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Nobody will care about climate change by 2150. The Great Robot Rebellion of 2075 and subsequent 50 year Robot War for the survival of the human race, will change everything.

We will dream of a little flooding and water logged parking as we live underground to avoid drone sentinels who establish air dominance by 2090.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think the 10/50 year numbers are for rare storms that might happen on average once every 10 or 50 years. Hurricane Juan is a good example.

The map demonstrates why this isn't a huge problem for downtown Halifax. Leaving all low-lying waterfront land fallow because it may flood in 2100 is a huge overreaction. Many of the condos going up today probably won't even make it to 2100.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:21 PM
armchairitect

the water streets are the original coastline of the harbour. everything beyond is fill. the Robertson store at the maritime museum is built on the old sea bed, and has tidal water in the basement.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Feel free to provide your source of information to benefit those of us on the board who are being misguided by this non-real science.

Any solid information that you can provide will benefit the discussion whereas simply discrediting what was posted without any information to back your argument is just a hollow statement and can't be taken seriously.

Looking forward to your informative post.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Nobody will care about climate change by 2150. The Great Robot Rebellion of 2075 and subsequent 50 year Robot War for the survival of the human race, will change everything.

We will dream of a little flooding and water logged parking as we live underground to avoid drone sentinels who establish air dominance by 2090.
Then we have to survive the killer asteroid strike of 2106!

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/We..._2106_999.html

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
the water streets are the original coastline of the harbour. everything beyond is fill. the Robertson store at the maritime museum is built on the old sea bed, and has tidal water in the basement.
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall hearing that somewhere. Interesting...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think the 10/50 year numbers are for rare storms that might happen on average once every 10 or 50 years. Hurricane Juan is a good example.

The map demonstrates why this isn't a huge problem for downtown Halifax. Leaving all low-lying waterfront land fallow because it may flood in 2100 is a huge overreaction. Many of the condos going up today probably won't even make it to 2100.
That's pretty much it. It has to do with the percentage probability of a storm happening of a particular level:

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...cs142p2_020752

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah Mark, it's just science, not REAL science; glad he cleared that up for me. Sheesh!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Then we have to survive the killer asteroid strike of 2106!

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/We..._2106_999.html

The ash and dust kicked up into the atmosphere after the impact of the asteroid will block out solar rays, starving the Robot Armies of sunlight and solar power that they use to power themselves since oil and other fossil fuels were expended in 2080.

The dinosaurs were likely forced into extinction this way, perhaps the robots too?

If we can just maintain the human resistance until the asteroid strikes, The Great Asteroid Winter that follows may turn the tide of the war in our favour...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
This is why I love this Forum. Little nuggets of brilliant insights like this. Had no idea.

Thanks Zio.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I tith regards to this development... Climate change is certainly real and poses a major threat to coastal areas. That being said, I'm not sure what the modelling looks like for Halifax... pre-existing developments will likely be impacted in a major way. From what I've read, we've passed the point of no return on the sea level rising. Maybe a Dutch barrier solution is the only way.
A barrier won't be much use if you look at the worst case scenario.
HRM should look at coastline development and establish " no build " zones.
Think global, act local - with emphasis on the word 'act'.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
A barrier won't be much use if you look at the worst case scenario.
HRM should look at coastline development and establish " no build " zones.
Think global, act local - with emphasis on the word 'act'.
So, is climate change the next innovative argument for the NIMBYs?

I'm sure any "no build zone" will, not surprisingly, cover all of the peninsula.

I mean, they already argue Wind, Traffic, Shadows, to oppose development. They may as well add Biblical floods to the mix.

"THIS DEVELOPMENT IS OUT OF CHARACTER WITH THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITY. AND TOO TALL. AND IMPINGES ON A VIEWPLANE FROM 1851. AND UHM.... AHHH... IT ALSO WILL BE COMPLETELY UNDER WATER BY... AH... 2150."

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:00 PM

Strangely, HRM did not adopt my suggestion of several years ago. That was: instead of electronics recycling that sees us sending all our old TVS, computers, etc to China, shred it and compress it into bales for use as a dyke/seawall system. An opportunity missed.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
So, is climate change the next innovative argument for the NIMBYs?

I'm sure any "no build zone" will, not surprisingly, cover all of the peninsula.

I mean, they already argue Wind, Traffic, Shadows, to oppose development. They may as well add Biblical floods to the mix.

"THIS DEVELOPMENT IS OUT OF CHARACTER WITH THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITY. AND TOO TALL. AND IMPINGES ON A VIEWPLANE FROM 1851. AND UHM.... AHHH... IT ALSO WILL BE COMPLETELY UNDER WATER BY... AH... 2150."
Of course, in 100 years the drought-stricken western settlements may have mastered the art of cost-effective desalination of sea water and will be causing the sea level to drop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth