HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 7:39 PM

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 8:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out. The block it's on is impressively built up now but a bit dull looking. If the little building on the corner were torn down and turned into a flatiron type tower it could be really interesting.

The Cogswell interchange gets a lot of attention for its perceived potential to reintegrate the North End and downtown, but I think this part of town is equally if not more important, and it has tons of immediate development potential. It's a bit disappointing that nothing has happened with the former church site at the corner of Brunswick and Cogswell.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out. The block it's on is impressively built up now but a bit dull looking. If the little building on the corner were torn down and turned into a flatiron type tower it could be really interesting.

The Cogswell interchange gets a lot of attention for its perceived potential to reintegrate the North End and downtown, but I think this part of town is equally if not more important, and it has tons of immediate development potential. It's a bit disappointing that nothing has happened with the former church site at the corner of Brunswick and Cogswell.
I think to that point having the new retail spaces along Brunswick occupied would do a lot to move that integration along. It baffles my brain that all that space was created and yet not a single one has been filled. I'd love to know why it is taking so long. Are the rents to high? Are businesses reluctant to set up on the street? There is a huge population base above them and its a busy pedestrian thoroughfare into the downtown too. I just don't get it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I think to that point having the new retail spaces along Brunswick occupied would do a lot to move that integration along. It baffles my brain that all that space was created and yet not a single one has been filled. I'd love to know why it is taking so long. Are the rents to high? Are businesses reluctant to set up on the street? There is a huge population base above them and its a busy pedestrian thoroughfare into the downtown too. I just don't get it.
Whenever I drive past I am also baffled by the absence of tenants. I can picture the space on the east side at the corner of Duke - quite attractive from the outside, with high ceilings, large expanses of glass, and even an outdoor plaza - as a sports or other type of bar packed after events at the Metro Center. I can see a few of the other spaces as steak houses or trendy modern eateries. Even a C-store would probably go over well with the residents along there. Very odd.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:36 AM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Whenever I drive past I am also baffled by the absence of tenants. I can picture the space on the east side at the corner of Duke - quite attractive from the outside, with high ceilings, large expanses of glass, and even an outdoor plaza - as a sports or other type of bar packed after events at the Metro Center. I can see a few of the other spaces as steak houses or trendy modern eateries. Even a C-store would probably go over well with the residents along there. Very odd.
I agree with you. Those storefronts are appealing and I am perplexed that none has been occupied. The unit at the corner of Duke has great potential for bar or eatery. Like many Mooseheads season ticket holder (yeah, pity me this season) I'm in the market for food and beverage before or after virtually every visit to the Scotiabank Centre. If anyone has a contrary perspective I'd love to hear it. I find it hard to imagine why these spaces have been so hard to market.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I find it hard to imagine why these spaces have been so hard to market.
It is hard to imagine, sufficiently so that I wonder if A: They're charging ridiculous rents, well above what a retailer could rent a space for elsewhere downtown, or B: The storefronts are intentionally being left vacant for the time being, for some reason.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:03 PM

I am also puzzled as to why those spaces remain empty.

Are the rents too high?

Is it just too "far" from other shopping / dining? (Seems a silly question - it's. right. there. But maybe some psychological barrier with Scotia Square and the Scotiabank Centre looming between this area and the other shopping / dining?)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:53 PM

http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/1920...k_Brochure.pdf

According to this brochure, they projected to charge $10.08/sf for storefront rentals. Whether that is or isn't out of whack with other downtown spaces, I'll leave to more informed minds.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/1920...k_Brochure.pdf

According to this brochure, they projected to charge $10.08/sf for storefront rentals. Whether that is or isn't out of whack with other downtown spaces, I'll leave to more informed minds.
Weird. I feel like that must somehow be incorrect. According to this, it's 70 bucks a square foot over on Spring Garden, and $25-$55 elsehwre downtown. So $10 would be quite the deal. Even downtown Dartmouth is cited there as $14 to $20.

And that article is a few years old now.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Weird. I feel like that must somehow be incorrect. According to this, it's 70 bucks a square foot over on Spring Garden, and $25-$55 elsehwre downtown. So $10 would be quite the deal. Even downtown Dartmouth is cited there as $14 to $20.

And that article is a few years old now.
That is weird. It could have been a misprint, they may have wanted $100.80/sf which would turn plenty of people off I'm sure. Maybe a phone call inquiry is in order here.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 5:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
If they are $10/square foot then it's even more puzzling that they're still vacant. Maybe they're trying to find certain kinds of tenants?

My understanding is that retail lease rates are incredibly "spiky". You might pay a really high price on a primary retail street and then a small fraction just a block or two away. So I wouldn't be surprised if this space were available for 1/3 or 1/4 of the Barrington prices as an example. Brunswick could become a major commercial street (maybe connecting up with Gottingen) but it doesn't seem to be there yet.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Is there a view plane over the Police station towards the old bridge? Just wondering, if the station ever does get relocated, this would be prime real estate!
Interesting that you asked that. Apparently the popo are hoping for new digs:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ants-1.3414557

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Maybe if some think Gavin Rainnie has been wronged and needs modern recognition they could throw his name in the hat for the new ferry.

It appears someone did just that:

http://www.halifax.ca/surveys

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:

The street sign at Brunswick remains as 'Rainnie Drive' .

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Can't say if I was the first but I did put his name in awhile ago.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Can't say if I was the first but I did put his name in awhile ago.
I did as well... after my rant that we should be acknowledging our history of the oldest saltwater ferry service by calling it Halifax IV. But I know that is wasted words at this point.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 10:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks like this is visible from Gottingen, something I never really thought about:

Source

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Looks like this is visible from Gottingen, something I never really thought about:

Source
Yeah, due to its height and the fact that it sits fairly high on the downtown incline, it's starting to pop up from a few unexpected vantage points.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 12:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Yeah, due to its height and the fact that it sits fairly high on the downtown incline, it's starting to pop up from a few unexpected vantage points.
I've often thought that, in Halifax, the buildings do a particularly poor job of taking advantage of the interesting street layout and topography. A lot of the unique triangular sites or spots that could terminate important views are just open space. The viewplanes also encourage a tabletop rather than a stepped look and discourage ornamentation or unique shapes (you have to give up a big part of a restricted potential building envelope), so much of downtown just looks like a blob from afar. Meanwhile the "meaty" parts of downtown are just on a regular grid that's a little boring. The parts that had some weight and an interesting street layout were mostly where the Cogswell Interchange is now (three or four Morse's Teas equivalents were torn down).

There are a few exceptions like George Street (somewhat diminished by the loss of the building next to the Dennis and the old customs house), Bedford Row, and the Historic Properties. Fenwick is an exception too; it doesn't shy away from the topography. Of course lots of people complain about it for sticking out. Duke Street would have great Citadel views but it has a horrible brown pedway. Dresden Row and Agricola do still have the views. Hopefully the number of interesting spots like this will increase in the future.

Another thing the new construction makes me notice is just how sparse much of the city is. Streets like Spring Garden Road and Gottingen used to have almost a small town feeling since they were surrounded by parking lots instead of buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth