Bank of America Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 11:37 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't understand why this spire isn't lit. I guess maybe I'm going to have to write somebody to complain...The Empire State is looking great though.

edenpictures

I completely agree NYGUY! We should start a petition to do so! With that aside, the lighting scheme that is implimented so far is looking pretty damn good!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 11:58 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
I completely agree NYGUY! We should start a petition to do so! With that aside, the lighting scheme that is implimented so far is looking pretty damn good!
The current lighting scheme seems to be taking itself a little too seriously for the playful post-modern building it adorns... I'd prefer if they got rid of it and just lit the spire.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 1:00 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
The current lighting scheme seems to be taking itself a little too seriously for the playful post-modern building it adorns... I'd prefer if they got rid of it and just lit the spire.
I personally think that the lighting scheme compliments the building and adds a great element to the building let alone to the skyline. It is a very distinctive lighting scheme that helps a very distinctive building stand out even more. I also figure that both the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building both have prominent lighting schemes, so should the Bank of America. I do agree wholeheartedly that the spire should be lit up on this one as well, especially considering how big, thick and noticable it is almost like the mast/spire of the Empire State Building. Well I would consider it to be in about in between both the Empire State Building's and Chrysler Building's spires in density taking into account that one could climb up it to roughly 1,150 feet if they wanted to, not to mention containing wires and other elements necessary for the flood lighting. If the spire were lit, it would really compliment the lighting scheme that is already set in place on the building IMHO.

The last big thing I am waiting for is for them to tweak the remainder of the bugs out of the lighting scheme and get that final bar lit up... That will make a huge difference!

This building really does kind of remind me of the Bank of China building in Hong Kong due to specific similarities, that building has a lighting scheme that is very distinctive as well but occurs during the light show amongst Hong Kong's skyscrapers every evening.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Jan 10, 2010 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 5:33 PM

Great post CHAPINM1! The lighting definitely adds a lot to the Tower and the city's skyline, it was a bold move and I really respect it. But yeah, I can't wait for them to fix the problem with that one row. As far as lighting the spire goes..I'm not to sure about that..I don't know if it would be appropriate on that type of spire. If anything, I think that if they had some sort of spotlights on the roof that were positioned on the spire it might work out. Not sure if you can understand the picture I'm trying to paint..I think I explained it in a weird way...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 10:31 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadate View Post
Great post CHAPINM1! The lighting definitely adds a lot to the Tower and the city's skyline, it was a bold move and I really respect it. But yeah, I can't wait for them to fix the problem with that one row. As far as lighting the spire goes..I'm not to sure about that..I don't know if it would be appropriate on that type of spire. If anything, I think that if they had some sort of spotlights on the roof that were positioned on the spire it might work out. Not sure if you can understand the picture I'm trying to paint..I think I explained it in a weird way...
Thanks for the kind words! I know what your getting at though, it would look kind of weird if the spire itself were lit, however if there were spotlights shining up directly toward the spire or more specifically, if there was a singls spotlight at the bottom of the spire facing up lighting up the spire, I think lighting the spire in that regard would look the best as well. Anyway, once they finish working the bugs out of the lighting scheme, and odds are this will be the entire contribution of the lighting scheme that we will see from this building, I will be satisfied.

At night if one is coming in from JFK on the air tram they will be able to say, hey there's the Empire State Building, hey there's another building which must be brand new I don't yet know the name of (BOA), and there's the Chrysler!

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Jan 10, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 6:37 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
I've never really liked the design for this building, but that's a great photo!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 2:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I personally think that the lighting scheme compliments the building and adds a great element to the building let alone to the skyline. It is a very distinctive lighting scheme that helps a very distinctive building stand out even more.
It's hard to believe that they would design a spire so large, only to have it disappear into the night. Especially when you consider the lighting scheme the tower has now. Maybe it's just a matter of time, but it should not be hidden on the skyline at night.

Sabrina.Pierantozzi

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 3:48 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
It's hard to believe that they would design a spire so large, only to have it disappear into the night. Especially when you consider the lighting scheme the tower has now. Maybe it's just a matter of time, but it should not be hidden on the skyline at night.
I completely agree that a spire this big should be lit, and by the way fantastic picture! Like everything else with this tower, I believe that it will be a matter of time before they do something that involves lighing scheme with the spire. This tower so far has taken a while to construct and has always been throwing us quite welcomed suprises with the exception of not going foward with the wind turbine, well at least to this point anyways...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 5:24 AM
Astorian

Then again look at its neighbor next door, the Conde Nast Tower... its huge antenna isn't lit either, yes it wasn't designed originally on the tower but its there and they haven't lit it.

Also like the New York Times Tower, which crown and spire should be lit and is not! That is crazy, it has a prominent crown and its not lit.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 7:18 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
Then again look at its neighbor next door, the Conde Nast Tower... its huge antenna isn't lit either, yes it wasn't designed originally on the tower but its there and they haven't lit it.

Also like the New York Times Tower, which crown and spire should be lit and is not! That is crazy, it has a prominent crown and its not lit.
The Conde Nast Tower, NYTT and I'll even be daring to say Chysler have toothpicks for antennas/spires. Sure they are spires, but they don't have the bulk, mass and importance that the BOA's and the Empire State Building's mast/spire do, if that makes sense.

I would place BOA's spire well above Chrysler’s, the NYTT's and the Conde Nast Tower's antenna in terms of intended importance and impact on the skyline, but not quite what the Empire State Building's spire possesses. At minimum, I'd say that the BOA's spire deserves a lighting scheme for sure, IMHO.

Also, regarding the Conde Nast Tower, I really like the lighting scheme that is currently set in place with the roof and base of the antenna (the square) being lit up!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 2:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Also, regarding the Conde Nast Tower, I really like the lighting scheme that is currently set in place with the roof and base of the antenna (the square) being lit up!
The huge antenna on top of the Conde Nast was put there after 9/11 for obvious reasons (the original antenna was much shorter). It's not considered an architectural element of the tower, but the spire on the BofA was designed as one.

More images...

happyarm

__

A Captured Image

mendalorianiron

Dreamer7112

Older days...

B. Coleman

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 2:27 AM
JoeCooper

Yup, I knew that the Conde Nast Tower's antenna is not part of the building. The square on the top of the building that is lit up is cool though!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 3:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yup, I knew that the Conde Nast Tower's antenna is not part of the building. The square on the top of the building that is lit up is cool though!
Those billboards on top on the Conde were supposed to be animated, and on occasion there's something up there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 9:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 8:42 AM
JoeCooper

Definetely an angle in which I have never seen it before! The picture does a great job expressing just how massive the spire/mast really is!!! It also does a good job showing it stading literally right along with the Empire State Building in showing who is the biggest and baddest in NYC. A rank that will for sure drop drastically in the next decade.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 2:43 PM
New Yorker for life

^ It also shows just how "fat" this tower is, which sometimes doesn't sit as well with me. I know they needed the space. If not for the sharp angles and the peak of the tower, the girth probably wouldn't be as noticeable.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 2:16 AM

Quote:
^ It also shows just how "fat" this tower is, which sometimes doesn't sit as well with me. I know they needed the space. If not for the sharp angles and the peak of the tower, the girth probably wouldn't be as noticeable.
Dude, this tower is phat!

I think what is around it makes it look stubbier. If it was standing all alone like Houston's Williams Tower, it would undoubtedly look less fat.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 2:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskyline View Post
Dude, this tower is phat!

I think what is around it makes it look stubbier. If it was standing all alone like Houston's Williams Tower, it would undoubtedly look less fat.
It would be just as fat anywhere, the size won't change. There's a reason it's as "phat' as it is (the space obviously). Consider that both the Bank of America Tower and the Goldman Sachs Tower are a little smaller, but roughtly the same size (commercial space-wise) as the planned towers 2 and 3 at the World Trade Center. Ironically, both towers were also built with the benefit of the Liberty Bonds.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:46 AM
World Machine

This building was built to house the global headquarters of Bank of America Capital Markets; hence the size.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:25 AM
New Yorker for life

A glimpse inside...

uglyagnes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture