Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:27 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Beautiful.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:20 AM
Show me the blueprints

Now that's an erection!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:32 AM
West End & Riverside

Has an RCA Victor meets American Radiator and decides to take over the planet vibe!

And frankly I love that Juniors will forever be its promise ring to the Borough, wouldn't have it any other way, really.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:47 PM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloper View Post
...I love that Juniors will forever be its promise ring to the Borough...
If Juniors insists on staying put, they could at least get rid of the tacky billboard on top of their building.

A retro-themed sign (think lightbulbs spelling out 'Juniors') would perfectly accent that corner. Something tells me this is a pipe-dream, though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Has an RCA Victor meets American Radiator and decides to take over the planet vibe!

And frankly I love that Juniors will forever be its promise ring to the Borough, wouldn't have it any other way, really.
Why? It's a crumby (sorry) building that even Junior's owner wanted to get rid of and relocate Juniors to the ground floor of the new tower and only decided the current Juniors was a "landmark" until after the deal fell through. As per Wiki:

Quote:
In February 2014 the third generation owner Alan Rosen put the building on the market for development as an apartment tower with the hope of striking a deal with a developer to allow Junior's to return as a ground floor tenant. Rosen received offers up to $45M, but that offer wouldn't accommodate Junior's on the ground floor. In September 2014 Rosen took the building off the market after deciding the existing building is Junior's identity.
Here's what I think is gonna happen. I think a number of years after 9 Dekalb is completed the Juniors owners and a real estate developer will team up to raze the current building and put up a 20-30 floor tower with a new showcase Juniors on the two floors of the base. This notion that the current building itself is Juniors identity is just silly.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:45 PM
West End & Riverside

Lol, I sure raised some cockles. No, I'm not in love with the building Junior's is in, per-se. But what I do like is that 9 DeKalb didn't gobble up the entire block, and then stick Junior's in a faux nostalgia sanitized tourist ready venue. I like that it's a little dirty, a little seedy, very Brooklyn. And I won't cry if it's replaced some day, but I doubt that will be for a very long time. As it stands it's a landmark for the black community downtown, and Jewish community to a certain extent, and these are disappearing rapidly in the gentrification. So what if 9 DeKalb didn't get the whole block? Imho it's more Brooklyn this way. I remember when this area was a warren of small, oddly shaped parcels and buildings, and I would hate to see that puzzle entirely erased.

My $.02

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:38 PM
Show me the blueprints

The root of my critique is my opinion that 9 DeKalb would have been an even more fantastic design had Juniors land been acquired. Right now the tower is pencil thin all the way to the base. The Juniors site would have created the opportunity to flare out the base with a midrise, say 15-25 floors, that tapered or wedding-caked into the highrise. It would have had a better street presence and in my opinion that would have made 9's design go from 10 to 11.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:01 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The root of my critique is my opinion that 9 DeKalb would have been an even more fantastic design had Juniors land been acquired. Right now the tower is pencil thin all the way to the base. The Juniors site would have created the opportunity to flare out the base with a midrise, say 15-25 floors, that tapered or wedding-caked into the highrise. It would have had a better street presence and in my opinion that would have made 9's design go from 10 to 11.
I won't argue that you don't have a valid point. But it's also possible that adding the Juniors parcel would've somehow been a detriment to the design, we'll never know. I've always found that having to creatively overcome obstacles elevates design, rather than just being handed a perfectly clean slate. And I wouldn't want to live in a society where eminent domain takes precedent over individual rights everywhere and always, not that that exactly applies here. I'm sure you understand my general points. Very excited to see this thing rise!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Here's what I think is gonna happen. I think a number of years after 9 Dekalb is completed the Juniors owners and a real estate developer will team up to raze the current building and put up a 20-30 floor tower with a new showcase Juniors on the two floors of the base. This notion that the current building itself is Juniors identity is just silly.
They'll do something eventually.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:24 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
I won't argue that you don't have a valid point. But it's also possible that adding the Juniors parcel would've somehow been a detriment to the design, we'll never know. I've always found that having to creatively overcome obstacles elevates design, rather than just being handed a perfectly clean slate. And I wouldn't want to live in a society where eminent domain takes precedent over individual rights everywhere and always, not that that exactly applies here. I'm sure you understand my general points. Very excited to see this thing rise!!!
totally agree. we can guess although we can't know what a juniors-less tower would look like --- unless maybe there is an early render or something?

also, as a non resident pedestrian you still have juniors rather than walking around a busy block made unfriendly.

what would really be funny is if juniors eventually sold and someone put up a needle-thin supertall there.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:17 PM
New Yorker for life

The Junior's is fine, it just needs to be built up to the level of the bank building to create some parity.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:15 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: baronson

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Michael Young

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:28 PM

Foundation Work Making Steady Progress - New York Yimby

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:32 AM

9 Dekalb (340 Flatbush Avenue) Wikipedia

Nice background info on this project via Wikipedia. They list the completion date of 9 Dekalb as 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_DeKalb_Avenue

Last edited by peteybrooklyn1959; Feb 12, 2019 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Changed post

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 12:39 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...at-needy-areas

New York, Florida Developer Taps a Tax Break Aimed at Needy Areas

By Jonathan Levin
February 28, 2019

Quote:
New York developer Michael Stern is joining in the frenzy over the latest U.S. real estate tax break, with four projects in “opportunity zones” on the East Coast.

Stern, whose JDS Development Group is also building ultra-luxury condos on Manhattan’s Billionaires’ Row, said he is investing with family offices in eligible sites in New York’s Brooklyn and Queens, and the Allapattah and Opa-Locka areas of Miami-Dade County, Florida.

...In Brooklyn, Stern is bringing opportunity zone financing into an ongoing project at 9 DeKalb Ave., where the borough’s tallest residential tower is set to rise on the former Dime Savings Bank site.
Quote:
For his $725 million Brooklyn tower, Stern said the program created a new way to raise equity financing, which he hopes to close on in a few weeks. He said he also owns four or five other projects that happen to fall in opportunity zones, and he is analyzing how the new rules would affect those investments.

The idea that the funds could help communities could be “a sweetener for some investors,” Stern said. In Opa-Locka, where he plans improvements to a group of warehouses, about half of the population of about 15,000 lives below the poverty level, and the violent-crime rate is among the highest in the nation.

And opportunity zones could help replace EB-5, a controversial visas-for-investment program that’s fading as a fundraising tool for the real estate industry, he said.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 5:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Silverstien is also jumping on the opportunity zones bandwagon. Such zones are occurring in other cities, like Miami. Should lead to some nice developments in time.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 11:01 PM
BANNED

JDS’ ‘Gram page is on fire today! Check it out! Entire story is on the birth of 9 DeKalb.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 5:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ interesting -- thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Silverstien is also jumping on the opportunity zones bandwagon. Such zones are occurring in other cities, like Miami. Should lead to some nice developments in time.

yup, in cleveland they are getting a long planned development downtown built, albeit in modified form, in part due to opportunity zoning. so its helping to get things off the ground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture