HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:23 PM

I just sent mine get writing lads

Hello Councillors

I'd like to start by wishing everyone a happy New Year and I hope you all enjoyed the holidays.
I wanted to make some comments with regards to development in the Downtown of the city. Firstly I applaud you for how many good decisions you have made when it comes to properties such as the star of the sea site, the MIX, Marconi, Mirador site as well as the Marriott extension.

As you are all aware, our city is now an energy city and there are great pressures to balance our amazing heritage which makes us who we are and very unique, with progress and attracting companies which will helps us grow into the future and not only provide us the jobs for future generations to stay home but to attract people from away. We have come a long way as a city in a short period of time and that will not slow (take a look at the population growth in other energy cities such as Calgary and Dubai both of which were our size or smaller at some point). Our city will need to grow and though extensive conversations with many many people including friends and family, many people believe the key to grasping our potential while preserving our past is to take a European approach to it and create a height exempt area in the West end of Downtown. Such buildings that will take us into the future as 351 water street, Fortis Place as well as the deacon building. You should consider making this area all height exempt (except the few buildings such as the Newman Wine Vaults), this area should have some policies that try to attract these developments to this area so that it relieves pressure on the east end downtown. There could even be a height minimum which will help in getting more creative proposals and getting the most use out of the area.

In order to attract and retain young people to our capital city we need to become more urban and in becoming more urban there is greater job opportunities and people want to live home and they want to live in such a unique place.

We are an Island, however only in the literal sense. There are other cities close enough to our offshore for companies to set up in if they do not see a clear way to set up here. I hope you take this into consideration as I know the municipal plan is not finalized as of yet. We have a very bright future however we need to stop just battling (pro development vs pro heritage) and live and function side by side because it BOTH has a place in this great city and it both is essential to our growth and existence.

Thank you for your time,

[Jeddy]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's