HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One MiMA Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 3:45 PM

it would look okay if it wasn't red brick!! lol i always hate red brick. way too BPC-ish

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 4:39 PM

Sorry if there is a page for it but

is this really going to be 450 w. 42

from ssp/wiredny

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 4:42 PM

It would've been much better if the tower was clad in the same way as the low-rise wing is. The way the tower is now is bleh - an okay filler, nothing spectacular but could've been worse. I'll take it, but aside from it being a skyline filler, I won't get too excited about this one.

Either way though, I'll take the watered-down Aqua ripoff over that brick banality any day.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 4:54 PM
World Machine

What a slap in the face that is. As if there wasn't enough brick in the area. Plots such as these act as chances to bring out new architecture and new materials, not repeat the current trend.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:14 PM
low-riding

as ny girl stated, this was the last proposal for the site

but this i think was when it was entirely a residential tower. are we positive that these renders shown on the previous page are the most current? if so, gross. i hate it when such a major location is squandered with bland crap

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:29 PM

I actually like the amount of red brick used. The overall effect, along with the clean lines of the design, reminds me of a Dutch city.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:47 PM

looks more like

to me

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 8:05 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

looks taller than 200m in that render:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Aqua 2.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Project description and images taken from (http://www.twiningproperties.com/)

Similar somewhat to the last version, but they don't give you the full view to take it all in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1
__
That was one of the cooler versions. But who knows what the final project will be.

Quote:
Now the final blueprints fit what the community had been seeking: A mixed space that allows for a 58-story high-rise and restores two theaters to the site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 12:34 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...11&newsLang=en

KSW, Inc. Awarded a $32 Million Contract for Related Properties
KSW’s Fourth Project for Related Brings Backlog to $138 Million

June 30, 3008

LONG ISLAND CITY, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--KSW, Inc. (NASDAQ: KSW), a leader in the heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) business through its subsidiary KSW Mechanical Services, Inc., today announced a contract on a new Related Properties project valued at $32 million. This contract brings KSW’s backlog as of June 30, 2008 to $138 million.

The 42nd Street Westside project in Manhattan consists of a hotel as well as 58-stories of condominium and rental units. This is the fourth collaboration between KSW and Related Properties, and construction has already begun under the management of Plaza Construction Corporation. KSW anticipates its role in the project to begin in the third quarter of 2008 and will realize revenues on a monthly basis once it has commenced work.

KSW Chairman Floyd Warkol said, “We are very pleased to have been awarded this prestigious contract from our friends at Related. This is the fourth and largest project which we will be working on concurrently with Related Properties. For the past 6 months, we have worked with Plaza Construction, Related Properties, and their design professionals throughout the design development, to suggest value engineering and energy saving alternatives. Related will incorporate energy conservation features in order to obtain Leeds Silver status, a certification of a building’s energy efficiency.”

KSW’s other work with Related Properties includes the following luxury condominium projects: The Brompton, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan; The Harrison, an Upper West side condo; and Superior Ink in Chelsea.

This project brings the total value of projects awarded to KSW this year to approximately $70 million. KSW continues to provide value engineering and budgeting services on a number of other projects, which the Company hopes will result in the award of new contracts.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:32 PM
low-riding

KSW? so it looks like the bland version is the one that got picked.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 8:56 PM
I love boxes.

Looks more than 55 floors...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:25 AM
Dubai goes Crazy

yes, i would estimate 70 or so

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
yes, i would estimate 70 or so
Look closer at the scale:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...-theater-bonus

Encore! Related Tries Again for Theater Bonus
Community dissed Cirque du Soleil in ’06

by Eliot Brown
July 15, 2008

Stephen Ross apparently is rather intent on getting a development bonus for a new far West Side tower.

Mr. Ross, chairman of development giant the Related Companies, is seeking, once again, to fill the base of a planned 58-story, 1.2 million-square-foot hotel and residential building on 42nd Street and 10th Avenue with a theater, thereby taking advantage of a zoning code bonus that allows for a bigger tower overhead.

Related, which met opposition in 2005 when it tried to bring Cirque du Soleil to the tower, is now in advanced talks with the Signature Theater Company to be the main theatrical tenant in the tower, according to people familiar with discussions.

While the theater has not yet agreed to take space in the building, according to those people, Signature has been searching for a new home since last year, when cost concerns led to its leaving the planned Performing Arts Center at the World Trade Center. The city has $9.5 million in its budget over the next two years to assist Signature with fit-out expenses of a new theater space, according to a spokeswoman for the Department of Cultural Affairs.

Should Related secure Signature as its main tenant and work out zoning issues with the city, it would represent the end of a colorful saga at the site, all relating to a development bonus installed to encourage a thriving theater district along 42nd Street by 10th Avenue. Created in 2005, the bonus allows landowners to add density to new developments if they include a legitimate theatrical use.

Related initially sought to bring a classical music center to the site, but then switched to an attempt to create a 1,800-seat home for Cirque du Soleil. The community cried foul, saying the acrobatic show did not fit the bonus’ small-theater intent, and the city in 2006 ruled against awarding the bonus.

Earlier this year, the city began a public review process to modify the zoning bonus for the area so that it applied only to theaters of up to 299 seats. But as talks go on between Related and Signature, the city recently delayed approval of the modification as it negotiates with Related over specifics, according to people familiar with discussions.

City Planning spokeswoman Rachaele Raynoff said via e-mail that based on concerns raised during the approval process, the department “decided that the portion of the proposed Hudson Yards text amendment dealing with the theater bonus merits further study and review.”

Should the Signature deal mature, Related seems poised to receive community support for its plan, thereby making its approval far more likely. (The bonus must be approved by the City Planning Commission and the City Council.)

“If Signature Theater, which is a very good group, got that spot, it would be terrific,” said Marisa Redanty, an actor who lives across the street and opposed the project when Cirque du Soleil was the proposed tenant.

Representatives for Signature and Related declined to comment.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:54 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Yet, more good news for the West Side boom.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:49 PM

That's wonderful news, for both the West Side and Signature. GREAT theatre company. My roommate January did Two Trains Running there last year. Classy operation.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 6:25 PM
low-riding

9/5/08

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:03 AM

For what it's worth, new permits were approved May 1 and May 5 for a "new building," construction equipment, and a fence. In April a permit was approved for scaffolding.

There is now a backhoe on the site as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive