HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:33 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

The south side of the theater, however, is an unadorned painted wall, which may as well be covered. I would be fine with this building wall-to-wall abutting it.

But yeah, the entrance needs a setback to allow it to stand out, and this apartment building almost NEEDS to be a plain box, or at least massed as a singular entity, to allow the theater to define the scale and ornamentation.

Architect is just failing all around here on this one...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...,77.24,,0,8.92

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:36 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
I can confirm that this is under construction. Just drove past it on my way back to the office.
Thank God.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:16 PM

The Hollywood building that has been proposed probably looks the way it does due to budget, which is the sad unfortunate reality that we are dealing with as new buildings get built... the developer probably has a strict budget that they must work with.... dammit!

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 7:40 PM

The building is not that bad....in another location. Its not a budget issue its a site issue. Its just lazy architecture. Pull out pre-created designs for the normal pdx square blocks. No one is asking them to clad the building in gold, just respect the site and deviate a bit from the friggen box.

This reminds me of a project picked up by another PDX firm for a development in China. I was pumped to see what they could do with the money and adventures architecture going on in asia. Guess what they proposed...I giant slab tower. No respect at all for a culture more responsive to architecture that jives with natural surrounds. Just a giant slab that could have been built in the Pearl. It was just Sad. I think the industry has convinced themselves that this cheap "clean lines" "jewel box" form is the only quality architecture. They probably have panic attacks if they they have to deviate from a right angle. Its all about dominating a site and building images that look good in isolation.

US Architecture needs a revolution. The leaders of the architecture industry have been twisting the public's yearning for quality architecture so they don't have to change. They think the public wants to go back to the older forms when what we want is for architects to get over the crap they've been peddling and come up with better forms. This rework is a perfect example they made changes by making the building look older, that wasn't the point, they basically used a straw man.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 7:16 AM

94-unit apartment building planned on Northwest Lovejoy
by Angela Webber
Published: May 26th, 2011

Developer C.E. John Co. is planning a 94-unit mixed-use apartment building at 2234 N.W. Lovejoy St. The long-vacant property has been owned by the family since 2004, and “the time is right” to start developing it, said Tom Dichera, vice president of development with the company.

“We’re working on a number of mixed-use projects in an effort to diversify our portfolio of properties,” Dichera said.

C.E. John has historically been a developer of large retail properties and shopping centers, such as Cedar Hills Crossing in Beaverton. Dichera said the company plans to build into a strong demand for rental housing with new investment in neighborhood locations. The buildings will still have retail, but also include multifamily housing.

Dichera said the Lovejoy property is one of a “handful” of multifamily projects the firm is working on. He could not discuss others publicly, but said the Lovejoy property will be among the largest, at six stories and 110,000 square feet. On-site parking for 67 vehicles is also planned.
C.E. John Co. and SERA Architects have a pre-application conference on the project planned for next week, on May 31.

Complete URL: http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/05/26...hwest-lovejoy/

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 9:49 PM

Does anyone know who the architects are that designed the Jeld-Wen Field stadium additions? I love the new canopy. I rarely venture on to this forum. So, messaging me is better. Thanks.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:34 AM

Update for 20th and Pettygrove:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 7:35 PM

I put up an article in #1245 (above) about a new 6-story apt building proposed for NW Lovejoy between 22nd and 23rd. Development services has a new design advice review document with rudimentary drawings.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 2:27 AM

Update from today, June 18th, 2011:

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:32 PM

The latest issue of the NW Examiner has an article which, in typical NIMBY style, distorts the news of some planned NW Portland developments.

At issue are the apartment buildings planned by CE John. From what I've seen of city documents, there are two developments, consisting of three buildings: #1, on Lovejoy between 23rd and 22nd, and #2 at 23rd and Savier (two buildings on opposite sides of Savier: one on the Conway parking lot where the farmer's market used to be, the other on the parking lot behind McMenamin's).

Supposedly, a lot of buildings - Besaw's, the Lompoc, the futon store - will be torn down, but I can't find any evidence online that this is actually the case. Does anyone have any info on this?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:40 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Supposedly, a lot of buildings - Besaw's, the Lompoc, the futon store - will be torn down, but I can't find any evidence online that this is actually the case. Does anyone have any info on this?
YIKES!!! Not the New Old Lompoc!!! That's one of my favorite pubs in the entire city! I sure hope that's not true.

That article didn't read like a NIMY article at all, actually. It wasn't saying construction is bad for 23rd. It was about how the owner CE John lied to Bamboo Sushi, telling them they could move into a larger space as all three tenants in that space wanted out of their leases, even though it was a blatant lie. One of those three tenants, Tribute's, found out from a CUSTOMER that they were being pushed out of their space. That's just cruel.

Last edited by 2oh1; Jul 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 1:38 AM

I agree that what they did with that property was pretty sleazy.

To elaborate, the design review document from BDS clearly shows that the property that will be redeveloped is confined to the Conway parking lot (and the parking lot behind McMenamin's). The Lompoc and futon store aren't a part of it, unless there's something else I'm not aware of. Furthermore, if you look up the Besaw's property on portlandmaps.com, there's no record of any sort of sale, demolition permit or new construction permit. Finally - this is why I think it smacks of NIMBYism - he makes exactly zero mention of the parking lots that will be redeveloped. The Lovejoy property? There's "taking out a house", no mention of the vacant lot that will disappear.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 12:05 AM

OK... maybe there was something to the NW Examiner's article: an entirely new development is proposed for the two lots containing the Lompoc and the futon store. The development on the Conway parking lot is being designed by SERA; this new one is designed by GBD. The new one is 4 stories with underground parking.

So to recap, there are four new developments proposed for NW. Development A includes 4 stories on the Conway parking lot at 23rd and Savier and 4 stories across Savier on the parking lot behind McMenamin's. Next door, Development B: 4 stories on the current site of the Lompoc/futon store. Development C: 4 stories on the current site of Besaw's (claimed by NW Examiner, no city of Portland documents to substantiate it), and Development D: 6 stories on the current site of a vacant lot on the N side of Lovejoy between 23rd and 22nd (also replaces a house on part of that lot).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 5:16 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Awe, that's such bad news. I'm all for new development, but I hate to see the Lompoc torn down. Hopefully they'll stay in the neighborhood because their beer is superb, but even if they do relocate nearby, it won't be the same. That place has such a worn-in charm to it, not to mention their patio.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:02 AM

Two more new 6-story buildings proposed for NW, on opposite corners of 19th and Johnson. One will replace a parking lot, the other the old 2-story medical office building.

So the current tally of proposed/uc buildings in NW/Pearl is:
* NW 12th and Everett - 6 stories - UC?
* NW 22nd(?) and Flanders - 4 stories - proposed
* NW Lovejoy between 22nd and 23rd - 6 stories - proposed
* NW 23rd and Savier - two 6-story buildings, one 4-story building and one more of undetermined size - proposed
* NW 20th and Pettygrove 5? stories - UC
* NW 19th and Johnson - 2 6-story buildings - proposed

Pretty amazing that so much is going on.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:08 AM

Also, in Gateway, two 4-story buildings are proposed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 10:56 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Two more new 6-story buildings proposed for NW, on opposite corners of 19th and Johnson. One will replace a parking lot, the other the old 2-story medical office building.

So the current tally of proposed/uc buildings in NW/Pearl is:
* NW 12th and Everett - 6 stories - UC?
* NW 22nd(?) and Flanders - 4 stories - proposed
* NW Lovejoy between 22nd and 23rd - 6 stories - proposed
* NW 23rd and Savier - two 6-story buildings, one 4-story building and one more of undetermined size - proposed
* NW 20th and Pettygrove 5? stories - UC
* NW 19th and Johnson - 2 6-story buildings - proposed

Pretty amazing that so much is going on.
Not really, considering that Portland has the lowest apartment vacancy rate in the US (3.4%), and rent is increasing ~10% per year. There has been practically no house or apartment construction since 2008. And Portland is still gaining population despite the recession. [source]

What I'm surprised at is that close-in SE & NE Portland aren't seeing any new construction, besides a few new houses in Buckman and off Division.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 8:25 AM

Quote:
What I'm surprised at is that close-in SE & NE Portland aren't seeing any new construction, besides a few new houses in Buckman and off Division.
I don't know, there's some activity of note in N/NE: Miracles Club was just completed; the Killingsworth and Interstate building, which I think actually looks good (yellow in Portland, who would have thought?); the Albert on Williams; numerous houses.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 10:14 PM

20th and Pettygrove from Aug 20th, 2011:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 9:55 PM

New two-story infill on NE 20th and Alberta. Notice here.

Hard to tell from the drawings but could be ok. Some neighborhood people apparently felt that the building that houses Barista/Aviary/Umpqua was way too "modern", so I'm curious to see whether any attempts are made to make this building "fit in".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland