HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 1:11 AM
Reason and Freedom

I found it amusing how the Left was able to forget all its slogans about "ending occupations" during this whole thing.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 6:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I just saw it on the news. I find it funny how when the cameras are down there to report on the overdose death the people of Occupy Vancouver were all like "don't film us, this is private". But today today they are all jumping infront of the camera all like "look at me!".
Are you for real? How would you like it if one of your friends died and the media was all over the place. People who are morning deserve some privacy. How about just a bit of common decency please.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 6:54 AM

Erm. Yeah. Maybe if it happened in their private home and not during a very public attempt at being attention whores on public lands they were illegally occupying...

And they were more than likely afraid of how the media would spin it, to protect whatever was left of their image, rather than actually mourning.

Unfortunately you can't have it both ways. Either you want everyone to notice you, or you don't.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Probably because nobody else cares anymore but you keep bumping the thread.
Sorry, I know it must hurt those with a man-crush on Gregor to keep being reminded of his many failings.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Are you for real? How would you like it if one of your friends died and the media was all over the place. People who are morning deserve some privacy. How about just a bit of common decency please.
Uh, yeah. Maybe those "friends" should have checked on her instead of letting her lay dead in a tent for up to 12 hours.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Well, first of all, if they were real friends they would have actually tried to stop her from mixing two volatile and dangerous drugs (heroin and cocaine). What's offense to me is that they let her die, and at a young age too. Furthermore, it's common sense to actually be in safe place under the supervision of friends when you do drugs, let alone mix two hardcore drugs at once. I'm the one who is pissed, nevermind them. They should feel shame and guilt for their disregard of their friend's safety. I mean, she died alone in her tent and her body was there for many hours before someone noticed.

Second of all: If you make your bed, you sleep on it. You can't build up a huge event like Occupy under the pretense that everything you do there should be broadcast to Canadians all over - then do a 180 on that position when something like a death happens under supervision of Occupy organizers and participators. Like any other public event, everything that happens there is the responsibility of everyone who built it up. If the protesters want to liken their squat to a community of equality and compassion, expect the Canadian public to see and judge how the community treats their own based on events like two overdoses (one fatal), biting of several firemen and the assault of bystanders then come to the conclusion of "If they can't handle policing the bad elements of their group or protecting the health, safety of their community of a hundred, imagine if their policies are put to actual practice for the rest of Canadians."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCsMdCAeAIM

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b84_1320583072

If you produce a public spectacle on public lands in the centre of a large city, expect to be filmed at all times and under every circumstance.

Absolutely shameful behaviour.

I participated in the protests within the first week of it's inception but I quickly got over the honeymooning phase once I started to talk to more and more of the assholes that reside in the squat.

At first I was annoyed with how they would storm into the nearby TD bank chanting YOU GOT BAILED OUT, WE GOT SOLD OUT despite their collective ignorance to the inconvenient fact that none of Canada's banks were bailed out at all. When I tried to point this out to some of them, I was shouted down for being a fascist and capitalist crony. However, what ended my support for the group was them letting people die under their watch.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 10:28 PM

Pics by me today - 2:00 pm (i.e. time they are supposed to clear out by):

They picked up a big tent and walked into and eastwards on Georgia Street with it blocking traffic
- don't know where they ended up with it (out of sight).
You can also see a caterpillar picking up all the garbage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:17 PM

Lol oh i thought they said they would clean up the site looks like most of it will be done by city workers instead why arent the police making the squaters do all the cleaning oh right our mayor is a spineless idiot what a surprise.

Another obvious question is umm why are the police letting them move that huge ass tent down Georgia. What's wrong with these peoPle

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:29 PM

The funniest thing is all the hate on the police, walked past the site today and laughed at all the "Fucking Pigs" and "Fuck the Police" posters set up.

I would hate to be a police officer, hated on by so many, abused by so many, yelled at, taunted, shot at, etc... yet once a police officer does one thing out of line it becomes the end of the world.

I am not saying that the police are perfect and do no wrong, but sometimes i feel they are not the boogeymen they are made out to be here in Canada. And many of the people here with "fuck the police" signs should maybe look at their own actions once in a while.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:38 PM

Many of these "protesters" are so hypocritical it's funny. Those people yelling and spitting at the cops deserve to get their asses kicked.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 12:40 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The funniest thing is all the hate on the police, walked past the site today and laughed at all the "Fucking Pigs" and "Fuck the Police" posters set up.

I would hate to be a police officer, hated on by so many, abused by so many, yelled at, taunted, shot at, etc... yet once a police officer does one thing out of line it becomes the end of the world.

I am not saying that the police are perfect and do no wrong, but sometimes i feel they are not the boogeymen they are made out to be here in Canada. And many of the people here with "fuck the police" signs should maybe look at their own actions once in a while.
I agree one hundred percent. The anti-cop thing just sickens me. Yes, they're not all angels but you can't paint the whole force as brutal thugs because of a couple of assholes.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:07 AM

Apparently they all set up camp at the provincial court off robson. They said they will stay indefinitely. This is just getting stupid. The mayor said this morning he doesn't support tents anywhere so I'm sure he'll have the police remove them lol.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:11 AM

Does anybody really consider this an occupy protest anymore? These are destitute, desperate, and confused people looking for some kind of acknowledgement which they won't get. These people are nothing more than an eyesore to most of us.

And if any of you tent city people must be homeless, or overdose on heroin, please do so in the DTES. This is how we prefer it. We really don't deserve to be exposed to such ugliness.

In any event, it will all be over soon enough. The squatters will be herded back to their own territory and it will be business as usual in the DTES, Vancouver's version of an insane asylum.

Maybe we'll get to light that Christmas tree after all.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:32 AM

Well let's all hope so

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:11 AM

Quote:

As much as I hate being stereotyped for being young, pulled over for doing nothing wrong, followed for absolutely no reason at night anywhere in Metro Vancouver; it's situations like today that still make me have nothing but respect for police officers and what they go through. The odd one may cross the line, but they are just doing their jobs, what they are being paid to do.
What really bugs me about this was Robertson did nothing about it, until the general public started to complain. Now they move to the Law Courts and it's the Province's problem now. What? Was he scared to take action like they did in a bunch of US cities? It wouldn't ruin his public image one bit; no one cares about occupy anymore other than the travesty it has become.
I drove through Downtown last friday night from West Van then down Georgia. Haven't done that since I've owned a car. The skyline and view was beautiful, made me remember what I love about Vancouver after the riots and all that. When I got to the protest, it looked like a f***ing garbage dump on the side of a road...
I agree with Occupy's general message, but it's over now. Accomplished nothing... Go squat where no one can see you, since no one cares anymore, anyways!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:29 AM

I see a few Occutards shut down Georgia and Howe during the evening commute.

I was talking to someone on the weekend with Translink and apparently Occupy Vancouver has cost them (and by extemsion us) big bucks with all the traffic disruption.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:07 PM
BANNED

As an infrequent visitor to this site and a police officer, just wanted to say thx for the kind words. Refreshing to say the least.

Cheers!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 7:33 PM

No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
I agree one hundred percent. The anti-cop thing just sickens me. Yes, they're not all angels but you can't paint the whole force as brutal thugs because of a couple of assholes.
Exactly, it would be the same as painting all doctors as quacks because of the few who perform malpractice.

I have dealt with a couple asshole police officers before, but I have dealt with far more reasonable, friendly and helpful police officers. The same way I have had a few bad teachers, but many more good ones.

The funny thing is I have had far more negative run ins with the Occupy Vancouver types (the fringe element that sadly overtook and has smeared what is actually a very serious issue).

Most of the people who dislike the police in Canada are those who are often doing illegal things, such as vandalism or driving like a complete asshole.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:34 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is I have had far more negative run ins with the Occupy Vancouver types (the fringe element that sadly overtook and has smeared what is actually a very serious issue).

Most of the people who dislike the police in Canada are those who are often doing illegal things, such as vandalism or driving like a complete asshole.
Quoted these two points as I agree 110%.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Apparently they all set up camp at the provincial court off robson. They said they will stay indefinitely. This is just getting stupid. The mayor said this morning he doesn't support tents anywhere so I'm sure he'll have the police remove them lol.
Hopefully they won't stick tent pegs between the paving stones and breach the new membrane that BC Buildings just spent millions of dollars replacing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics