HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:50 AM

Metro Vancouver Elections 2014

I didn't want to really ask this in a thread meant solely for Vancouver, so here goes:

How did the rest of the region fare during the elections?
Are there any other interesting municipal stories coming out from tonight?

I'm most interested in the North Shore, where there always appears to be a fierce clash between pro-dev vs anti-dev groups... but feel free to discuss about any local city here.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 8:05 AM

In New Westminster, Jonathan Cote ended the 12 year reign of Mayor Wayne Wright. I looked at Cote's platform to learn a little more about him and I came across this tidbit.

"Explore opportunities with the provincial and federal government to develop a goods movement tunnel connecting Highway 1 and the Queensborough Bridge"

http://www.votecote.ca/transportation

Perhaps we could see a little more movement on the North Fraser Perimeter Road in these next 4 years.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 9:32 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
I'm most interested in the North Shore, where there always appears to be a fierce clash between pro-dev vs anti-dev groups... but feel free to discuss about any local city here.
You could say pro-development won in the City of North Van since Mayor Mussatto was re-elected (barely) and Holly Back should vote with him. The very, very, very vocal NIMBY minority remains a minority. It's a shame they can't find something better to do in their retirement.

Mussatto didn't comment after his win. I think it was a lot closer than he expected. In the past he won easily or was unopposed. I'm a fan of his so it's disappointing to see.

I don't know the district well but it sounds like doing something about traffic was priority No. 1 for most people. One of the new guys is a engineer who specializes in traffic planning.

Notorious anti-development incumbents Bookham, Clark and Muri all won but there weren't many (any?) choices for pro-density types, besides Back.

West Van is status quo, of course.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I don't know the district well but it sounds like doing something about traffic was priority No. 1 for most people.
Traffic and the pace of development was by far the biggest issue in the district. As for who was elected Muri and Mackay-Dunn definitely prefer to slow down the pace of development, but l think Hicks, Hanson, Bond, and Bassam lean more in favour of development (along transit lines) and trying to improve infrastructure.

Edit: Also all of the elected district councillors favour amalgamation with the city

Last edited by Henbo; Nov 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:51 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbo View Post
In New Westminster, Jonathan Cote ended the 12 year reign of Mayor Wayne Wright. I looked at Cote's platform to learn a little more about him and I came across this tidbit.

"Explore opportunities with the provincial and federal government to develop a goods movement tunnel connecting Highway 1 and the Queensborough Bridge"

http://www.votecote.ca/transportation

Perhaps we could see a little more movement on the North Fraser Perimeter Road in these next 4 years.
From Cote's site, I copied a few more items below.
I like his thinking!

Interesting that he doesn't mention support or opposition to the replacement of the Pattulo...

Quote:

Transportation

Local Strategies

-Ensure that the majority of growth in the city is done in areas that are within walking distance of frequent transit service.

-Prioritize and encourage the development of dense mixed use neighbourhoods in close proximity to rapid transit.

-Support the partial deconstruction of the Front Street Parkade.

Regional Advocacy

-Work with Translink to implement digital "next bus" signs at high volume transit stops and eliminate transit fares for children 12 and under if accompanied by a paid adult.

-Work with Translink to create a high frequency shuttle service connecting the Downtown and Uptown neighbourhoods.

-Support the expansion of rapid transit in Surrey and Vancouver.

-Work with Translink to install an elevator at the Sapperton SkyTrain Station to Braid Industrial area.

-Partner with Translink to improve the elevator at the Columbia SkyTrain Station.

Economics

Building the Future

-Prioritize the development of commercial office space in Urban Centres (Uptown & Downtown) and other locations near rapid transit.

-Develop an incentive program to encourage more office and employment generating development. These incentives could include bonus density, reduced development fees, and a streamlined development process.

http://www.votecote.ca/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 5:12 PM

Definitely a positive change in New West, I think it reflects the rapidly changing demographic in the downtown area.

Now, about Burnaby...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 6:17 PM

Derek Corrigan and the BCA control all the seats, yet again.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 6:18 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Its pretty obvious in the Vancouver Election thread that I'm very pleased with its results. But the other city that I was following very carefully was Surrey, and that too I am very pleased.

I'm glad that ugly little troll that is Doug McCallum didn't have a chance to win! That guy is a menace, is why Surrey was the butt of jokes, and is instrumental as to why the region's transportation system was f*cked up until Gregor and Watts voted for the gas tax increase. Linda Hepner will do fine and I believe she will continue Dianne Watts' legacy, which is what is best for the city.

Coquitlam's election was a bit of a snoozer with the results determined pretty early. I'm glad Lou Sekora is out of municipal politics. I can't stand that guy and he has been such a nuance in council. I also noticed that Coquitlam lost two left wing crap councillors, but Zarillo remains, which is annoying. Oh well, she's only one seat in the council...

New West has already been commented on so I'll leave it at that. Burnaby will be Corrigan forever, or at least until he retires. Oh well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerx View Post

A sad situation in Burnaby -- absolute control is a terrible situation in any political jurisdiction. Corrigan gets his "Licence to Bully" -- this time for four years.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:45 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
A sad situation in Burnaby -- absolute control is a terrible situation in any political jurisdiction. Corrigan gets his "Licence to Bully" -- this time for four years.
Its been like that since 2002 but the region and Province is pretty much used to it. Just ignore him...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 8:48 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbo View Post
Edit: Also all of the elected district councillors favour amalgamation with the city
As they should. It's the City that stands to gain nothing from it.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 9:13 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerx View Post
All hail our glorious leader...I mean... Mayor Corrigan...

Hey, at the end of the day the guy gets job done and protects the interest of Burnaby very well...Yes, he is not a consensus builder, but at the end of the day it's not his fault that we decided to have 20+ cities /municipalities...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 9:37 PM

All and all I'm satisfied with the results of the election.

Glad to see Corrigan win Burnaby and Gregor win Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 9:38 PM

Coquitlam was the bright spot of the night for me.

A bit of background: During by-elections last year, the NDP/CUPE machine leveraged low-turnout to propel their two candidates easily on to Council (including a total no-name who had moved to Coquitlam only two years prior). It was a stomp. That same night, Thomas Mulcair was in town for a big NDP fundraiser/pow-pow. When the byelection results were announced, the room erupted in cheering. A key organizer gave a speech announcing intent to build a formal machine in Coquitlam to "turn it into the next Burnaby" - the thinking being that since the party faltered provincially, they could channel more resources into the municipal realm.

Fast-forward a few months, and the Coquitlam Citizens Association is formed. A couple months before the election, they announce the creation of the "Protect Coquitlam" slate (as if it's a city under siege ). The quality of candidates they chose to run speaks to their arrogance that their machine could overpower all: The two byelection victors, the weakest incumbent councillor, the guy that came last in the 2008 election, and another total no-name. The # of candidates tells the same story: exactly enough for a majority on the 9-member Council.

Why they choose to run in an explicit slate is beyond me. They could still have gained all the benefits of a campaign machine - NDP lists, volunteers, campaign material, an office - without bringing too much attention to the fact by creating a public brand and elector organization. Coquitlam isn't used to slates: all candidates have always prided and advertised themselves as running as "independents", and the only recent slate - the centre-right Coquitlam First in 2005 - crashed and burned. Sure enough, the fact that a formal party was running candidates became the main election issue. Turnout increased, and instead of making the sweeping gains NDP insiders were so confident of (and desperately needed, given their provincial and federal malaise), the weak incumbent Neal Nicholson was actually booted-off.

Both new Councillors, Teri Towner and Dennis Marsden, are sharp, articulate, pro-development urbanists unbeholden to local public sector unions.

And as Queetz mentioned, Lou Sekora is a disaster. He's always been an antagonistic slimeball that literally makes up numbers and stories as he goes along, but now at an age of 84, he sometimes would forget the topic of the motion being debated mid-speech. In every election after his 1983-1997 Mayorship, he's endorsed the challenger to the incumbent Mayor. Why? So he doesn't lose his record as longest serving Mayor of Coquitlam. I'm not kidding. This time around, when he saw that no one was going to challenge Richard Stewart (and for good reason, he's one of the most respected civic leaders in the region), he decided to run himself. Sekora would have easily been re-eleted to Council, so this turned out to be a blessing. As the cherry on top, Stewart decided to take the challenge seriously and crushed him with 70% of the vote.

Last edited by BodomReaper; Nov 17, 2014 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 10:21 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post

A bit of background: During by-elections last year, the NDP/CUPE machine leveraged low-turnout to propel their two candidates easily on to Council (including a total no-name who had moved to Coquitlam only two years prior). It was a stomp. That same night, Thomas Mulcair was in town for a big NDP fundraiser/pow-pow. When the byelection results were announced, the room erupted in cheering. A key organizer gave a speech announcing intent to build a formal machine in Coquitlam to "turn it into the next Burnaby" - the thinking being that since the party faltered provincially, they could channel more resources into the municipal realm.
This is funny to me since the CNV uses turning into Burnaby/Metrotown as a worst case nightmare scenario. Lots of "Here comes Metrotown North" moaning as Mussatto was re-elected.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
This is funny to me since the CNV uses turning into Burnaby/Metrotown as a worst case nightmare scenario. Lots of "Here comes Metrotown North" moaning as Mussatto was re-elected.
Haha yeah, with all those fiendishly high 2.5 FSRs in the core parts of the Lonsdale corridor

What the NDP folks meant by "next Burnaby" is having every elected official in the city belonging to their organization.

But for the record, I would also love to see the "Metrotownification" of many other parts of the region.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I've heard that from a few people (knowing very little about Coquitlam politics myself - thanks for the summary).

Teri Towner was elected to Coquitlam council, and her platform seems great: "The more residents we have living and working close to our up-and-coming high-quality rapid transit, the better"

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Haha yeah, with all those fiendishly high 2.5 FSRs in the core parts of the Lonsdale corridor

What the NDP folks meant by "next Burnaby" is having every elected official in the city belonging to their organization.

But for the record, I would also love to see the "Metrotownification" of many other parts of the region.
I think that's underway, Brentwood being the first example. Also North Surrey, Coquitlam, and to a lesser extent the Oakridge project in Vancouver, UBC Village, Lougheed Town Centre
(funny; it seems to have slowed down), New Westminster ......

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 1:29 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I think that's underway, Brentwood being the first example. Also North Surrey, Coquitlam, and to a lesser extent the Oakridge project in Vancouver, UBC Village, Lougheed Town Centre
(funny; it seems to have slowed down), New Westminster ......
Nope, you are wrong. Condos are not built in Vancouver, especially not near skytrain lines.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:51 PM

Overall pleased with the election myself. I didn't actually vote for Hepner because I didn't really like what she was saying, it seemed far too general and when it comes to crime I hate when politicians say "HIRE MORE COPS" when they isn't the answer 99.99% of the time. I knew Surrey First would do well (though I didn't expect a clean sweep of EVERYTHING honestly) though and I had a feeling the troll wouldn't win anything. People still remember the crap he put Surrey through.

"Surrey had no tax increases under me and no debt!"
"Yes and falling to pieces infrastructure, no recreation facilities, and a failing support system for the city because you wouldn't spend 10 cents on needed upgrades!"
"Uh.... look an Eagle *points*"

That said, I am AOK with Surrey First regardless and think while they haven't been hugely fiscally prudent and I don't want to see LRT down Fraser Highway, overall they've been a spark of hope and forward movement for Surrey after decades of stifling mediocrity and the majority of their decisions have hugely benefited the city. Hepner has some big shoes to fill though.

As for Vancouver and Burnaby, nothing really changed if you think about it. Gregor has a bit lesser of a majority which means he will hopefully ease off on some controversial policies over the next 4 years to make sure he gets re-elected then, but outside of that from a development standpoint he has been good for Vancouver.

Burnaby is Burnaby. As much as I don't like the mayor as an outsider and someone who supports regional cooperation, you can't argue his track record IN-Burnaby and if you want a Mayor that works hard for your own city which every city ultimately wants, Corrigan is indisputable in that capacity as a Mayor.

New Westminster has me the most excited. That city has been a bane for regional development on all sides for the past 6 years give or take. Against a lot of transit stuff, against new and smart road infrastructure, against anything that helps the region. This new Mayor seems to be the complete opposite and being elected tells me that the majority of those who voted in New West are seeing the light.

That light being that they are a city whose infrastructure is stuck in the 1900s sitting squarely between the second largest and third largest cities in the region with arguably the 3 largest industrial areas around them (Burnaby, Delta, Surrey). I know it sucks but they are in the middle and shit has to move through their city so its time to work with the region to allow that traffic to move through the city smartly which includes getting it off their main downtown roads by providing through flow like the NFPR and additional bridge capacity across the river.

And support for the translink referendum and regional plan is huge too. He says straight that he supports expanded transit in Vancouver and Surrey because that referendum also supports increased capacity in all the other cities like New West, North Van, Coquitlam, etc.

New West = to me at this stage. Let's hope it turns out to be a reality.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics