HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:22 PM

There is no way to resign Stastny with all the contracts coming up in the next 2 years. Laine will cost a lot of money and Connor won't be cheap either. We can only hope the cap keeps jumping like it is expected to next year. Roslovic is the key for next year. He needs to take the 3rd/2nd line centre roll and run with it.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:56 PM

Laine will be signed this summer, but the contract won't take effect until after next season with his entry level expires. So we'll know what he'll cost pretty soon. I think Connor also has another year on entry level. So may be in same boat as Laine.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:00 PM

Here's the Jets cap hits from: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets
AAV and actual cost are also available on the website.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Laine will be signed this summer, but the contract won't take effect until after next season with his entry level expires. So we'll know what he'll cost pretty soon. I think Connor also has another year on entry level. So may be in same boat as Laine.
They won't take effect for another year but it is still a cost that will affect how we sign players who's contracts take effect next season. Stastny will look for more then a 1 year deal and we can't afford him past next season. I say we start with Roslovic at 3rd line centre. If either him or Little aren't carrying their weight by the deadline you try and trade for a another centre and move one of the two to the wing.

Our only saving grace is Myers and Mason aren't signed past next season which will open up 9.5 mil in cap space.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:19 PM

The salary cap is only increasing $3–8 million, doesn't really make room for additional contracts, just allows the basic natural increase/inflation in new signings, which we will have a lot of.

It seems like the league – both players, agents, and teams alike – are realizing these mega-contracts are a big hindrance to success. If you want to play for a winning team, you need to sign a reasonable contract. Chevy so far is the king of signing longer deals (5-6 years) for lower salaries. Chicago is absolutely screwed until they get rid of Kane or Toews ($13.8m/yr each) which is 38% of their cap space – impossible to keep a good team around them. The other teams with mega contracts were also bad this year like Weber in Montreal, Kopitar in LA, Benn in Dallas.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:40 PM

If the Jets trade Perreault this offseason and give his roster spot to Roslovic that should free up enough salary dollars to make a Stastny deal workable.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If the Jets trade Perreault this offseason and give his roster spot to Roslovic that should free up enough salary dollars to make a Stastny deal workable.
I would rather keep Perrault. Roslovic could be a good centre for us. Our team did just fine before Stastny joined the team and we will do just fine without him.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
They won't take effect for another year but it is still a cost that will affect how we sign players who's contracts take effect next season. Stastny will look for more then a 1 year deal and we can't afford him past next season. I say we start with Roslovic at 3rd line centre. If either him or Little aren't carrying their weight by the deadline you try and trade for a another centre and move one of the two to the wing.

Our only saving grace is Myers and Mason aren't signed past next season which will open up 9.5 mil in cap space.
If we sign Trouba to a long term contract, similar to Scheifele, there is virtually no chance we keep three RHD around, all paid over $5,000,000. The Jets would move Poolman up to 3rd pairing D-man, and trade Myers.

I doubt the Jets sign Stastny long term, but if they do, there will be no room for Little, so the Jets have to decide who to keep around. My gut feeling is we will let Stastny walk.

It may be a good idea to keep Mason around, as he would be virtually untradeable, with his injuries, but would come in handy as a backup. Mason only has one year left on his contract anyhow. Hutch has been pretty vocal about being unhappy with his role with the Jets, and Comrie may never make it to the NHL except for the odd cup of tea.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
We may need to trade Perreault or Little due to cap space restraints. Roslovic is a Centre, who has been playing the role of winger. Once he improves his defensive play, the Jets will use him as a bottom 6 centre accordingly. So in terms of depth, we have:

1) Connor (RFA 2019) / Scheifele / Wheeler (UFA 2019)
2) Ehlers / Stastny* (UFA 2018) / Laine (RFA 2019)
3) Perreault / Little / Tanev (RFA 2018)
4) Copp (RFA 2019) / Lowry (RFA 2018) / Armia (RFA 2018)

Others:

Roslovic (C)
Dano (C/LW)
Matthias (LW)
Petan (LW)
Hendricks (C)

Defense:

1) Morrissey (RFA 2018) / Trouba (RFA 2018)
2) Enstrom* (UFA 2018) / Byfuglien
3) Kulikov (UFA 2020) / Myers* (UFA 2019)
extra: CHiarot (UFA 2019)

Others:

Chiarot (LHD)
Poolman (RHD)
Niku (LHD)
Morrow (LHD)

Goalies:

1) Hellebuyck (RFA 2018)
2) Mason* (UFA 2019)
3) Hutchinson (UFA 2018)
4) Comrie (RFA 2018)

Chevy obviously has his work cut out for him He will need to give big raises to or resign:

Laine
Connor
Morrissey
Trouba
Hellebuyck
Wheeler

Jets likely to be gone through trades/buyout/unsigned/etc:

Matthias
Hendricks
Dano (likely will be in Europe next year)
Perreault (if Vesalainen comes over from Europe)
Stastny (if the Jets cannot trade Little)
Myers (no cap room)
Enstrom (will almost certainly not be signed and return to Sweden, likely replaced by Niku)
Kulikov* (could be bought out or placed on the LTIR if back injury is career threatening)
Hutchinson (unhappy with role in Jets organization)

My prediction for 2018-19:

Connor - Scheifele -Wheeler
Ehlers - Little or Stastny - Laine
Vesalainen - Lowry - Tanev
Copp - Roslovic - Armia
-----------------------------
Morrissey - Trouba
Chiarot - Byfuglien
Niku - Poolman
extra: ?

Goalies:

1) Hellebuyck
2) Mason
3) Comrie

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 16, 2018 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:03 PM

^Veaslainen may make a push for a roster spot. He's lit up the finnish league this season. I also think they'll re-sign Enstrom. Otherwise you're spot on. minimal changes required.

Maybe Chevy makes a deal for another good D??

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:05 PM

Any predictions for tonight's game? I'm expecting another Winnipeg road victory. I have more confidence with them on the road lately, than at home.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^Veaslainen may make a push for a roster spot. He's lit up the finnish league this season. I also think they'll re-sign Enstrom. Otherwise you're spot on. minimal changes required.

Maybe Chevy makes a deal for another good D??
If Vesalainen takes a roster spot, we can trade either Perreault or Little, due to cap restraints. That would be an ideal situation.

No chance the Jets resign Enstrom. They don't have the cap space, he is going to be 34, and most importantly, there are strong indications that Enstrom will want to play in Sweden, as his wife was diagnosed with cancer, and Enstrom missed games to travel back to Sweden to see her after the diagnosis.

If Chevy makes a deal for a D-man, I hope it is a prospect or two. We can use future depth on the blueline, especially if Stanley does not pan out.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
My prediction for 2018-19:

Connor - Scheifele -Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Perreault - Lowry - Tanev
Copp - Roslovic - Armia
-----------------------------
Morrissey - Trouba
Chiarot - Byfuglien
Niku - Poolman
extra: ?

Goalies:

1) Hellebuyck
2) Mason
3) Comrie

I think:

Connor - Sheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Perrault - Roslovic - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrisey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Niku - Myers

Hellebuyck
Mason

I don't think you can put Roslovic on the fourth line. He is too skilled to be down there.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Any predictions for tonight's game? I'm expecting another Winnipeg road victory. I have more confidence with them on the road lately, than at home.
I hope I am wrong, but my heart says the Jets, but my mind says Vegas. I think it will take us another game to solve the Knights, and rattle Fleury, and Vegas will be fired up in front of their home crowd.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Jets win after a loss. Hellebuyck plays lights out. We win 5-2. The test is can we win 2 in a row.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:38 AM

Just came home along Portage and Main and saw that the Richardson Bldg has a big moving Jets logo projected on the building. I guess it was not cloudy enough for them do to it in the sky like the "Bat Signal"

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:00 AM

The Enstrom army isn’t going to like it but he was singled out by the panel after the second period for his poor play. In particular, they highlighted his bad decisions on changes which have led to goals. Enstrom will not be back next year unless he takes a big pay cut and is okay with being a seventh defenceman. But my prediction is he is gone. Okay Enstrom army, unleash your wrath.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 12:47 PM
Ignore these four words.

Well, I agree with you. I was never an Enstrom fan.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Wow, the turnovers last night just killed us. Sheifele coughing it up instead of getting it deep for the first, Laine not getting an easy puck out of the zone contributing to the second and Helleybuck giving it away then slipping on the banana peel for the third. It seems to me the Jets are trying to over complicate things. A lot of times they are in a scoring position and seem to do everything possible to take themselves out of a scoring chance and end up with nothing.

Shoot, damn-it....but hit the fucking net. I think mostly the thing that is hurting the Jets is right now we are a one line team. Scheifele and Wheeler are everything right now for the Jets. We really need some secondary scoring from someone.

I understand there are two teams playing and Fleury is playing amazing and the Nights speed is really challenging our team, but in the end...if we clean up a few things, I still think we will win.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:06 PM

^ The TV guys are really doing their best to sell Fleury as unbeatable but for whatever reason the Jets have looked kind of sluggish and simply haven't been able to mount a sustained attack to put pressure on him. It feels like it's always a haphazard rush, shot from way outside, VGK picks up the rebound and then back the other way again.

I don't know how you slow the other team down and maintain better possession in the offensive zone, but I'm convinced that even a marginal improvement on that front - say, one more legit chance per period - would have led to a wildly different outcome. Vegas is clearly a great team but they have shown that they're vulnerable, otherwise this series would be 3-0 now.

Anyway, I remain confident that the Jets can bounce back tomorrow. Hopefully Ehlers will be back in the lineup and come in with some rested legs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan