HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:30 PM

1,250 ft. Herzog & de Meuron building? !!!!! What? When?

*faints*

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post

©tectonic
nice contrast between these two buildings.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:42 PM
New Yorker for life

^ That's always the best view of the tower as far as I'm concerned...they all seem to rise in harmony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
1,250 ft. Herzog & de Meuron building? !!!!! What? When?

*faints*

Very close...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191095

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ Nice photos.

Guys, knock it off with the piers.

http://www.commercialobserver.com/20...-gary-barnett/

“We’re Like The Avis Guys:” An Afternoon With Gary Barnett

By Matt Chaban 5/08/12
This guy sounds just like Trump. Yes, it is an awesome building. Why does he need to try to sell it so hard? It sells itself...

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo1 View Post
This guy sounds just like Trump. Yes, it is an awesome building. Why does he need to try to sell it so hard? It sells itself...
It's what he's in the business of doing. I don't care how fabulous my building was, I'd sell it too. More buzz never hurts, and can spill over into other projects he has yet to get going. Trump did make a name for himself, or the Trump "brand".

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:04 PM

Looks great!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:36 PM
World Machine

Those four make a great cluster, only to be joined by a fifth soon enough.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:25 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2012/05/gary...d-57th-street/

Gary Barnett on How He Chooses His Designers and the 1,250-Foot Starchitect Tower Planned for Broadway and 57th

The new skyline, come 2020? 432 Park is at left, One57 is just right of One Bryant Park, and 225 West 57th Street is just to the right of that,
then 15 Penn Plaza and, on the farthest right, Hudson Yards. (sbarn/Skyscraper Page)

By Matt Chaban 5/10

Quote:

When Gary Barnett builds, he wants everything to be “the best,” as the Extell exec made clear in our recent profile. Bigger is not always better, but it certainly does not hurt, especially in Manhattan. That is part of the appeal of Mr. Barnett’s One57—not only will the views be dead-center on Central Park, a fact Mr. Barnett keenly brags about, but there are also the bragging rights of having the tallest residential tower in the Western Hemisphere. At 1,005 feet, it beats Frank Gehry’s 8 Spruce Street by more than 100 feet.

But this is New York, and the record will never hold for long, as competitors like the MoMA tower and 432 Park start to rise. But Mr. Barnett has an ace up his sleeve just down the block, a large development site on Broadway running between 57th and 58th streets. The lot, site of the former B.F. Goodrich Building is nearly twice as large as One57′s, and more importantly the tower could be many hundred feet taller, as well, as Mr. Barnett continues to assemble air rights and properties, one of his favorite parts of the business. For this stratospheric project he also turned to several top-shelf designers, none of whom Extell has ever worked with before. As reported in our profile, Swiss starchitects Herzog & de Meuron won an invited competition to design a tower that could rise to 1,250 feet or more....

As Mr. Barnett made clear, any of this could change, but it shows a continued commitment to high-end design at the very least. When asked about how he chooses his designers—without making mention of this project in particular—Mr. Barnett gave some insight into how this little competition might have been put together. “We like to work with the firms we know, we know they can do the work,” Mr. Barnett said walking down 57th Street between the One57 site and the showroom just across Fifth Avenue. “But sometimes we want to give somebody else a chance, we’ve seen their work and we figure, why not give them a shot.”

Mr. Barnett said that quality design “probably pays for itself” but sometimes he does wonder if it is worth it. “I sometimes question our commitment to design,” he said. “These architects, the good ones, they can be difficult sometimes, but the product is definitely better. I look at the guys putting up just total crap, and I wonder if they don’t make the same return.” Still, Mr. Barnett stressed that since he prefers the creative aspect of development above, or at least in equal measure to, the money, that probably helps explain his continued interest in what his buildings look like. “It’s just more interesting this way, and it certainly helps with the marketing,” he said.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:56 AM

Man, we need more Gary Barnetts and less pigs like Durst.

I can't wait to see the new 57th Street in a few years!

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Man, we need more Gary Barnetts and less pigs like Durst.

I can't wait to see the new 57th Street in a few years!
Residential is a different game from commercial, but yeah it seems like Durst is a shark.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:31 PM
Astorian

May 11th, 2012

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 10:53 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:00 PM
JACKinBeantown

Yowza! Nice pictures, guys. I believe we have a new king of Central Park. May the king be quickly dethroned!

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
New Orleanian for Life

GREAT picture! Comparatively speaking, it appears to be about the same height as Time Warner Center. If so, it still has 255 feet to go!

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Yowza! Nice pictures, guys. I believe we have a new king of Central Park. May the king be quickly dethroned!
Who was the king, Time Warner? I'm partial to the Sherry Netherland Hotel.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 9:25 AM

cool photo. I always thought the AXA center and the tallest XYZ building were the exact same height but it doesn't look like it here

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
don't *meddle*...

Great shots as usual, NYCLuver! This one is getting really tall now.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Not everyone is aware of everything. A nice way to inform someone of something is by being nice. I lived in NYC close to 18 years and didn't know about that. But I'm happy to hear it.
Very true my friend. Always remember ad hominem, and you did it with class. You are right. We all do not know everything. Eitherway, even if you did know, you were simply expressing your opinion in that you think it look horrible or ugly against a beauty backdrop. You are right. But also remember, sometimes ugly things have a way of being beautiful in their own way, and just as we found out what they really are for - for the birds to rest and look for food, for example - gives it it's own beauty.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 1:14 AM

I love reading about this gary barnett. Such an interesting guy, the type that changes the NY skyline for the better. You can really tell he loves what he does by just how competitive and hard working he is. Hopefully he stays and continues to work on projects in NY, and inspires people to be like him.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
I love reading about this gary barnett. Such an interesting guy, the type that changes the NY skyline for the better. You can really tell he loves what he does by just how competitive and hard working he is. Hopefully he stays and continues to work on projects in NY, and inspires people to be like him.
Barnett is amazing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive