HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 5:12 PM

New Development Maps!

Dated today

http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset...ps-10.5.17.pdf

No new info. 55 Hudson is still listed as 95 storys

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 4:23 PM

The 8 or 9 towers as part of Homestead Assemblage and Central Avenue extension in Journal Square will see some action at the Planning Board on Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
  • Homestead Assemblage – a proposed mixed-use ground-up development on multiple sites located in Journal Square between Newark Ave and the new Journal Squared Building. The developer is proposing to deliver a pedestrian promenade starting from Newark Avenue and leading directly to the PATH entrance under the new Journal Squared Tower. The pedestrian promenade will be a cobble stone, pedestrian-only, street lined with restaurants and retail shops on the ground floor and a mix of other uses on the upper floors to include commercial, office, Residential, and a Hotel Development on the upper floors. There are a total of five buildings proposed in the Homestead Assemblage, with building heights ranging from 18 to 25 floors.
  • Central Avenue Extension – a proposed mixed-use ground-up development to be located on the corner of Newark Ave (626 Newark Ave) and the proposed Central Avenue Extension. Hudson County has been planning to extend Central Avenue for about 10 years to better help support the connection of the Heights Community to Journal Square Transportation Center. The developer is proposing to construct and deliver the Central Avenue extension street as designed by Hudson County and seen on the Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment Plan. The project is proposed to include 3 mixed-use towers with ground and second floor retail along with offices on the tower base floors and residential units on the upper floors. The buildings are proposed to range in height from 23 to 27 floors.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 4:38 PM

New events being held "Magnolia Landing." An area once was considered the backdoor of Journal Square.

https://www.chicpeajc.com/jersey-cit...-square-scene/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 6:08 PM

The Homestead Assemblage has been approved, along with the Central Avenue expansion. That's a minimum of 8 new buildings and thousands of units flying under the radar in Journal Square.

Rendering of the proposed Homestead pathway to the PATH station, with Journal Squared I in the background.

Excavation is underway for Journal Square II, but the minor design changes were not approved at this planning board meeting, next one is scheduled for later this month.

There is also a 40 story buildings on Marin near the PATH station that is getting ready to break ground. The parking lot has been closed and construction fencing has surrounded the site. It should break ground this year or early 2018.

I'm watching absorption of the new rental buildings and construction financing, as I believe that's where the bottleneck exists. There are lingering fears of an oversupply by banks and developers, which has since proved unsubstantiated by how quickly each new building leases up, at rents above those in the development pro forma. That should encourage banks to underwrite more construction loans at more favorable rates. It's reported that Jersey City has about 9,000 units currently under construction, with the more complex building taking about 24 months from start to completion. That's probably going to be our "speed limit" for adding new supply for the time being.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:33 PM

• The Planning Board vote on Homestead Assemblage amendments only rezoned the area so the project is allowed by-right. Approval was unanimous. Site plan approval would be separate. And then they have to get a loan to build... A project by the same guy on Newkirk was approved over 2 years ago and still hasn't broken ground. In general though it's good to have enough zoned capacity to account for future growth in demand, so it's a good thing for sure.

• Last night the Zoning Board denied the application to adaptively reuse the firehouse at 520 Palisade as 18 apartments plus retail. According to the Riverview Neighborhood Association, it was because "the application was denied based on opposition from the Neighbors, mainly over the rear of the building and lack of sufficient setbacks."

• I chatted with the owner of the smoke shop at 331 Marín. He says he's got another 2 or 3 months before they close down the shop and begin demo.

• The hole at Journal Squared II is getting big. But they're starting where the footprint of the *third* tower is supposed to go. A bit confused.

Last edited by Hamilton; Oct 17, 2017 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
  • The Planning Board vote was only to rezone the area to allow the project. Site plan approval would be separate. And then they have to get a loan to build... A project by the same guy on Newkirk was approved over 2 years ago and still hasn't broken ground. In general though it's good to have enough zoned capacity to account for future growth in demand, so it's a good thing for sure.

• Last night the Zoning Board denied the application to adaptively reuse the firehouse at 520 Palisade as 18 apartments plus retail. According to the Riverview Neighborhood Association, it was because "the application was denied based on opposition from the Neighbors, mainly over the rear of the building and lack of sufficient setbacks.

• I chatted with the owner of the smoke shop at 331 Marín. He says he's got another 2 or 3 months before they close down the shop and begin demo.

• The hole at Journal Squared II is getting big. But they're starting where the footprint of the *third* tower is supposed to go. A bit confused.
Thanks! I'm sure nearly half the projects in Journal Square that received planning approval aren't going to be developed by the original developer. They're just getting zoning in place so it can be flipped for a substantial profit.

That's okay in my books. It doesn't matter who builds the thing and as long as approvals are easy to come by, it should prevent any speculative bubble in land values from forming.

Curious about Journal Squared. I think the site for building 2 is still undergoing design\final approvals and just normal site work going on for building 3. It's suppose to be a temporary park until it gets developed.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:16 PM

Small update on the CH Martin site in Journal Square.

- Previously reported underground PATH connection with retail/restaurant uses on the ground floor and lower level.

- Offices on floors 2-5

- Rental apartments on floors 6-25

My guess is this goes before the planning board early in 2018. Construction late 2018/early 2019.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:19 AM

Thanks for the info, CIA! I'm surprised they're going with only 25 stories, since rumor was that they were negotiating with the city to get 42 stories like the HAP tower. I guess the mayor or planners didn't like their proposal. But the site is pretty narrow (and on stilts!), though, so I think fitting 42 stories on it would've been tough from an engineering point of view.

Speaking of which, the church on Kennedy and Tonnelle needs major repairs. However the congregation is in bad financial shape and can't pay for the repairs. Instead, they are hoping to build a apartment tower up to 25 stories on their site in order to defray their costs and fund their charity programs. The building would include affordable housing as well as community facilities. They would keep the façade of the historic church. They'll need a rezoning and they're negotiating on this with the city.

Also have heard that other sites along Kennedy are looking for extra floors and negotiating with the city, to see what sort of community givebacks and benefits they can provide in exchange for extra floors.

Finally, the mayor mentioned at a recent debate that he is working with Boggiano and the Hilltop Association to do some sort of downzoning in Journal Square, but he wasn't specific on what the plan is...

All in all, there's a flurry of amendments to the plan in the works.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:25 PM

Likewise Hamilton, thanks for the info!

I'm also surprised by the CH Martin site only going for 25 floors. An underground PATH connection would be very expensive. Allowing 42 floors, or higher, in exchange for the PATH connection seems very fair and would be in line with other concessions the city has asked for in the past.

There is only a handful of buildings in the Journal Square area where the city did not accommodate a request for rezoning or taller building. The couple that come to mind are the HAP Tower and that poor 6 -story building on Perrine Ave, both because of NIMBY opposition.

Boggiano is supportive of high density development that's west of Summit Avenue and is not opposed by his constituents.

If the CH Martin site is only going to 25, I'll assume its not because of a zoning restriction. It's just as tall as they're willing to invest. The mega projects cost so much more money and smaller developers may be worried about financing and not biting off something larger than they can chew.

I'm kinda sad to see the church go at Kennedy and Tonnelle. There's no room on the site for having both the church and the new tower to pay for needed renovation costs. Keeping the facade is a start. Some of the interior elements could make for interesting adaptive re-use space.

I have an idea - setting up a transportation fund for light-rail, or more likely a dedicated bus row, along Kennedy funded by density increases along the corridor. Traffic during the morning rush is unbearable and all the buses and jitneys are stuck in traffic. They should have priority lanes in private right of way due to the volume of people being moved. Between NJ Transit and the jitneys, there is a bus to/from Journal Square and New York arriving every 30 seconds. But what's the point of having that frequency if they're all stuck and delayed for half an hour.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:16 PM

-The Perrine Avenue building was even rejected at 5 stories, which was its by-right allowed height. The owners of the three homes that would be part of that development have already sued the city. A couple of years and hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars in legal fees from today, it will get built because it was completely allowed under the zoning. Fulop and Boggiano were doing political grandstanding at the expense of taxpayer money.

-The HAP case is currently before the NJ Supreme Court pending its final appeal, and there is at least a 90%
chance that the developer will win it. A decision on the city's petition for an appeal will probably come out in the next 30 days, and, if the court rules against them, the project will be fully cleared to proceed from a legal standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
The mega projects cost so much more money and smaller developers may be worried about financing and not biting off something larger than they can chew.
In the wake of the Perrine debacle, small-time builders also have to worry about the city breaking the law and arbitrarily rejecting as-of-right projects too. It's not as big a deal for the big-time developers who have staffs of lawyers and for whom legal costs are just a tiny part of the construction budget.

I agree that it's time to have better transit to get from one part of JC/Hudson to another part.

As far as the construction at Journal Squared, I'm not sure it's for the park. They are digging a very huge, very expensive hole, and I don't see how it would be useful for a park. Maybe they're putting in the foundations for phases II and III simultaneously?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:18 PM

One more comment--like you mentioned CIA, building the PATH connection will be expensive. I doubt CH Martin will be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. So I wonder what they'll be getting from the city in return for the passageway, if not a height bonus...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
-The Perrine Avenue building was even rejected at 5 stories, which was its by-right allowed height. The owners of the three homes that would be part of that development have already sued the city. A couple of years and hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars in legal fees from today, it will get built because it was completely allowed under the zoning. Fulop and Boggiano were doing political grandstanding at the expense of taxpayer money.

In the wake of the Perrine debacle, small-time builders also have to worry about the city breaking the law and arbitrarily rejecting as-of-right projects too. It's not as big a deal for the big-time developers who have staffs of lawyers and for whom legal costs are just a tiny part of the construction budget.
Agreed - I hope the city is severely punished by the courts for this arbitrary and capricious application of the planning rules here. The building was fully allowed under existing zoning and no variances were being sought. Under the law, if there is no reason to deny, the site plan must be approved. it was shameful what was done to Perrine site because it brings uncertainty and risk, which is bad for everyone!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:24 AM

A little info on 560 Marin from Hamilton Park NA

Quote:
On August 15, the Planning Board approved two mixed-use towers measuring 57 and 59 stories at the location of Mecca Trucking across from Home Depot, which the Mecca family applied for under the Newport RDP.

Since this abuts the Holland Tunnel, they engaged with the Port Authority for access to nearby PATH and HBLR stations, but no agreement was reached because of concerns about emergency access. The Port Authority also noted that traffic could be significantly increased. A consultant for the developer, however, assured them that any change should be minimal.

HPNA reiterated traffic concerns, and highlighted the lack of green space and mass transit. We also requested that City Planning conduct a traffic study for all new developments north of 12th St, including Emerson District. Matt Ward, an assistant city planner, indicated his department is already exploring some options for such a study.

No variances or deviations were requested, and both the Planning Board chairman and the developer confirmed no abatements have been decided. Six members voted in favor of the plan, while four voted against, and one abstained.
http://www.hpnajc.org/Developments/5334089#5334089

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:34 AM

New Harborside Terminal renderings here: http://harborsidejc.com/transformation

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:38 AM

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:48 AM

Two new mid-rise buildings going up in Jersey City Heights along Palisades avenue. I can just imagine the killer views of Hoboken and Manhattan these will provide since there isn't much height in the area now.

500 Palisade

Palisade
Source: https://www.thenextbk.com/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:15 PM

^^^3 Perrine Ave is topped out. The façade should go in soon.

The two renderings in your second post are the same project. The first rendering is outdated; the second rendering is the more updated version.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2016/12/dem...rsey-city.html

Speaking of midrises in the Heights, the Zoning Board approved variances for a 28-unit building with storefront retail at 3193 Kennedy Boulevard, just north of the Bergen Arches. The facade of the existing 2-story vacant industrial building will be preserved and restored. It's in an area that is zoned for 2-family Bayonne Boxes only, which makes no sense since the Boulevard has many mid-rise apartment buildings with retail along its whole length.

The planners asked neighbors nearby if they would prefer that the building have parking or retail, and they chose retail as more important, so no parking will be included. Which I think really speaks to the need to revise the zoning along the Boulevard to allow small mixed-use multifamily buildings as of right. It's ridiculous that residents without cars in that area should have to walk to Central Ave or the Square to buy necessities.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I hope 2018 will see Phase II of URL. Would be nice in Q2.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I hope 2018 will see Phase II of URL. Would be nice in Q2.

We'll have an update on Urby II & III within two weeks.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
We'll have an update on Urby II & III within two weeks.
That would be nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations