HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 2:22 PM
loafing in lotusland

And no bogus fees. Funny how WIND doesn't nickel and dime you by tacking on 911 fees and SAF.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 8:03 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Telus axed that off a lot of their plans finally. I think wind would be a lot more competitive if smart phones were cheaper. My options were them with a nexus one, or telus with a droid. The price difference was pretty tiny, so I went droid.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 8:16 PM

the store on west 4th - pic by me

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 8:45 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
I think wind would be a lot more competitive if smart phones were cheaper.
The thing is, since customers aren't locked in to their service, they can't sell phones at a lower price. It's not like the big three companies where they are guaranteed three years of monthly concessions. I mean, I would agree with you, but I can understand why they price their phones the way they do.

And believe me though, these phones are worth a lot more at a retail level than what Wind is selling them as.

My biggest problem with their network is their AWS frequency. I don't normally buy phones from operators, and there aren't many phones with HSDPA 1700.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 8:51 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I know that. But say that hypothetically the Nexus One came to the market at $300 USD like was speculated for a long time instead of $500 USD. It would make their service a lot cheaper. I don't doubt that there's a lot of room for price reductions in smart phones. Just look at the amount of hardware that goes into a netbook compared to an average smart phone. There should be more margin, and eventually there should be cheaper product on the market.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 1:29 PM
loafing in lotusland

Yeah... but don't forget that the big three charge extra for the retail price of their phones.

Fido sells phones for $250 which are only work $80. Practically all their phones are 3 years old. Trust me, the subsidy isn't much.

The new smart phones have a higher initial value which is why they try to lock you into an extremely high margin data plan... which has its own ECF, I might add.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion