HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 2:14 PM

Shoreline Walk Advice

I'm in Vancouver for a few days next week and this is my first time coming there, so I'm looking for some advice. What would you recommend as the best shore line walk in Vancouver? I want to see the water and the skyline while enjoying a nice walk. I'm staying in downtown Vancouver and I don't have plans to rent a car.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 3:35 PM

Best place for that is along the seawall at Stanley Park

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 3:41 PM
Closed account

My favourite from Downtown has to be Stanley Park. Go down to the New Convention Centre where you can see the Olympic Flame and walk west along the new Seawall past Coal Harbour.

This will take you to the Rowing Club and Stanley Park. Follow the Seawall all the way around past Siwash Rock and head back towards the city along English Bay.

Great view of the city and the West side as you come around Ferguson Point after third beach on your way to the aquatic centre. From there grab a water bus across to Granville Island for a keek at the "Granville Island Market" and a java before the last leg around to Vanier Park and Kits Beach.

From Kits you can catch the Number 22 bus back across Burrard Bridge into Downtown.

It's a full day trip but well worth it. About 12 Km from Convention centre to Aquatic Center and another 3 km to Kits beach maybe. And if you are still not happy, you can continue along Jericho and Locarno Beaches all the way to Spanish Banks and the University of British Columbia. The Number 4 will take you back Downtown.

An alternative is to take the Number 250 Horseshoe Bay from Georgia Street Downtown all the way to Lighthouse Park on the North Shore. Ask the driver to tell you when to get off.

The park is smaller than Stanley Park but the views of the City may be more stunning. Walk around the park and head East towards West Vancouver. You can catch the 250 anywhere on Marine Drive and head back into Downtown or change at Park Royal for Lonsdale Quay and catch the Seabus to Downtown.

Map of Stanley Park
http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stan..._printable.pdf

Map of Lighthouse Park
http://westvancouver.ca/uploadedFile..._Trail_Map.pdf

More walks and hikes around Vancouver can be found at:

http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=14373
http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/SightsA.../Vancouver.htm
http://www.bcpassport.com/vancouver-...vancouver.aspx

Enjoy the walks and the city.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:10 PM

Vancouver might be mild, but it could be wet/humid (duh) and windy. The effect of these two conditions are amplified when at the shoreline. Damp cold can make it feel much colder than it is.

Bring layers that you can put on/take off depending on the sun, wind, and temperature.

Bring something that is wind and water resistant.

Bring a hat and/or gloves.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:11 PM
victory in near

if you can get to spanish banks, walk west to wreck beach and then up into UBC.

amazing walk and amazing beaches

i do not think bus access to spanish banks is great. you may have to walk from jericho beach. but that is a really nice walk as well. bus access from UBC is very good. it might be a good idea to check the tide level.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 6:59 PM
Reason and Freedom

You cannot go wrong following any of the above suggestions. My favourite walk is along the beachside path which takes you from Jericho Beach to Lacarno Beach to Spanish Banks and back again. The simultaneous view of the sea, skyline, and North Shore Mountains is stunning. If one of the concession stands is open, I highly recommend the fish and chips.

If the weather is nice, you will never want to leave Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 7:04 PM

Yeah, generally you can not go wrong, but do bring a jacket.

Temps directly at the shore can be up to 7 degrees cooler than those only a km inland.

For example, tomorrow's forecast is for sun (good day to hit the shore) with temps as high as 17 inland (generally anywhere a km or two away from the shore) but only 11 at the water's edge.

The sea breeze is what makes it feel cool. Of course this breeze changes in intensity depending what area of the shore you are at, and what time of day it is.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 2:03 PM

Great responses, thanks everyone! I'm excited as this is my first time being in Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 3:59 PM
loafing in lotusland

Another HIGHLY recommended trip is not walking. If you can rollerblade, the trip from Stanley park to Yaletown is incredible. Rollerblades can be rented near on Denman near Georgia.

The whole 13km (?) is amazing and smooth. If the athlete's village is open by then, you could also do that.

Being a pair of light shoes and you can walk off the path.

You can also do this on rented bicycle.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 5:03 AM

the seawall!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 6:47 AM

Jericho beach is nice too and during the lowest tide, you can walk out to so far, you look like you're walking on water. and then you can also see the entire scope of the downtown peninsula from there.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 7:13 AM

Looking at that made me feel lazy. I once attempted to walk around Stanley Park, started at Denman St., and by the time I got to the outdoor pool (past second beach) I called a taxi to take me home.

So, in other words I didn't even really make it IN to Stanley Park.

One day I'll do it!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 9:16 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Jericho beach is nice too and during the lowest tide, you can walk out to so far, you look like you're walking on water. and then you can also see the entire scope of the downtown peninsula from there.
You are thinking of Spanish Banks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Looking at that made me feel lazy. I once attempted to walk around Stanley Park, started at Denman St., and by the time I got to the outdoor pool (past second beach) I called a taxi to take me home.

So, in other words I didn't even really make it IN to Stanley Park.

One day I'll do it!
Ouch.

I haven't done it in a long time. But I have walked it at least 2-3 times and cycled it a few times as well. Of course that was years ago when I was a kid and more fit than I am now

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
You are thinking of Spanish Banks.
i am. thanks. even though they are next to one another.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 6:23 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
i am. thanks. even though they are next to one another.
Well, not quite. Don't forget about Lacarno Beach, which sits between Jericho Beach and Spanish Banks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Well, not quite. Don't forget about Lacarno Beach, which sits between Jericho Beach and Spanish Banks.
omg, it gets so complicated.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Ouch.

I haven't done it in a long time. But I have walked it at least 2-3 times and cycled it a few times as well. Of course that was years ago when I was a kid and more fit than I am now
Well, in fairness it was like 34 degrees, and I had just hit up that really good hotdog stand on the beach near Denman St.

One of the finer in the city!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 10:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Locarno, as in the Swiss city on the Lago Maggiore. Does Anybody know why the beach was so named?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Locarno Beach
West of Trimble to Tolmie Street on Northwest Marine Drive

The majority of the property that now comprises Locarno Beach came to the Park Board from the Provincial Government in 1929, a banner year for the Board with respect to obtaining waterfront land for Vancouver's residents. But it was not until a decade after the war that the Point Grey Foreshore beaches would be developed for public bathing areas. It is not clear where the name "Locarno" came from though it was a place name made famous by the signing of a European peace treaty in Switzerland in 1925. This is a lovely sandy beach with stands of tall evergreen trees located nearby to cool users on the sunniest days. Locarno has been designated a quiet beach for the pleasure of those seeking only the sounds of nature.
http://vancouver.ca/parks/rec/beaches/locarno.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion