HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:08 PM

That's the Chapman Park Hotel in the background, to the left of the Derby.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:34 PM

Union Square /Hoover Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
So we know the area was called 'Union Square' as late as 1918.
__
The latest reference I could find was October 1921, except that the Union Theater was listed as the "Union Square Theater" in 1929.

The "Union Square" label is on the 1910 and 1914 Baist maps, but not on the 1921 version. I'm not sure why it was dropped. The robbery of the Union Square branch of the Hellman Bank, at 2412 W Hoover, occurred in late 1919 and the fallout was much in the Herald into 1921. Maybe that tainted the name.

There were businesses on the actually triangle back then, "Union Square" referred to the big intersection where the three streets meet.

Maybe P.E. wasn't using this for a hub anymore and the name faded.

A few local businesses used the "Union Square" name. Union Square Investment Company, Union Square Realty, Union Square Wet Wash Company, Union Square Garage, Union Square Electric, Union Square Painting and Decorating, Union Square Dye Works, etc.

Last edited by tovangar2; May 18, 2017 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:00 PM

re: 'mystery' fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
The big photo shows the Robert Louis Stevenson Jr. High School building ("abandoned because of weakened foundations")
being burned in a test by the LA Fire Department on May 17, 1959.9
Thanks for the information and links FW.

I especially liked this pic (from your lafd link)

http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS028...i-ELA_1500.jpg

And two more from the 1959 Popular Science article.

https://books.google.com/books?id=sC...20fire&f=false

inside the school

https://books.google.com/books?id=sC...20fire&f=false
---

While 'thumbing' through the magazine a couple tobacco ads caught my eye.

Why are tomatoes featured in this ad for Pall Mall cigarettes?

Popular Science 1959

"You can light either end." -say what!?

Here's the second ad.

Popular Science 1959

A SQUARE cigar?? I had no idea such a thing ever existed.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:00 PM

Today's Julius Shulman post is an unusual one. It's a mystery location, despite having the address on the building. This is "Job 3695: Flewelling and Moody, Centinela Valley Union High School District Offices, 1964".

Getty Research Institute

There doesn't seem to be a 365 Hawthorne Way any more, and I can't find the building at the several addresses I've tried around Hawthorne. Does anyone know where it is/was?

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:

While 'thumbing' through the magazine a couple tobacco ads caught my eye.

Popular Science 1959
ToMacco?

Video Link

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:09 PM

LOL

"Vintage Photo LOS ANGELES POLICE MOTOR SQUAD MACHINE GUN INVENTION 1931"

ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REAL...kAAOSwLEtYh97a

Lieutenant Jack Lyons machine gun invention, 1931.

reverse

I'm not entirely sure how this pistol machine gun was suppose to work. -why the large triangular brace?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 18, 2017 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
re: 'mystery' fire

Popular Science 1959

__
Tomatoes? There were growing rumors back in the day that smoking was possibly dangerous to your health. Tomatoes are healthy, so therefore maybe they wanted to link healthy things with cigarettes. Who knows.

As we know, smoking was once considered seductive and even romantic. Doctors recommended smoking for weight reduction. Lovely idea.
Many Hollywood movies usually
featured a romantic smoking scene back in the 1940s.

Walt Disney was a heavy smoker and died as a result from it. Besides that, he had a secret side to his personal life that few knew about. He was
definitely a noir character in Hollywood. Two people who knew were actor Fess Parker and Walt's drinking buddy director George Cukor.

LIFE

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 19, 2017 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
LOL

"Vintage Photo LOS ANGELES POLICE MOTOR SQUAD MACHINE GUN INVENTION 1931"

ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REAL...kAAOSwLEtYh97a

Lieutenant Jack Lyons machine gun invention, 1931.

reverse

I'm not entirely sure how this pistol machine gun was suppose to work. -why the large triangular brace?

__
That's a "skeleton stock" used to convert a handgun into something you can steady with your shoulder like a rifle. Looks like an increased capacity magazine to go with it. I highly doubt the combination was full automatic, the usual definition of a "machine gun."

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Today's Julius Shulman post is an unusual one. It's a mystery location, despite having the address on the building. This is "Job 3695: Flewelling and Moody, Centinela Valley Union High School District Offices, 1964".

Getty Research Institute

There doesn't seem to be a 365 Hawthorne Way any more, and I can't find the building at the several addresses I've tried around Hawthorne. Does anyone know where it is/was?

The building has been remodeled into an Islamic School, and Hawthorne Way certainly seems to have been renumbered
(it's now the 12200 block). The old Centinela Valley Union High School District building is to the left of the green dot:

GoogleMap

This is how it looked in 2004:

Historic Aerials

Here it is in Dec 2016, looking south at the two-story addition in the front, which went in about 2012.
The brick on the one-story north wall matches the vintage photo:

GSV

The brick on the one-story south wall matches as well, and I think the edge of the roofline is the same, too:

Dec 2016 GSV

The best match might be the concrete panels to the right of the entrance. Below and in the vintage photo,
starting at the top we see three full panels, with the fourth at the bottom partially buried:

Dec 2016 GSV

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

Dec 2016 GSV
Maybe they renumbered the street so the addresses aligned with the other N/S streets on either side? And might be nothing, but if you look at the 2nd row of concrete panels (from the top, left side), it looks like there is some discoloration that seems to coincide with the placement of the signage in the Shulman photo. Also still has the narrow planting bed along the wall.

Actually, if you look close in the Google Maps photo, you can still see the bottom row of signage with the address still there (looks like the street number was updated and it was shifted to the right).

Last edited by DViator; May 18, 2017 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 10:54 PM

Good find FW. I looked for it & wasn't able to find it.

I don't believe we have discussed compass trees on NLA, right?

"Last of the Four Compass Trees in Burbank." [1956?-1965?]

http://digital-library.csun.edu/cdm/...n/SFVH/id/4117

"These sycamore trees marked the gateway to the San Fernando Valley and served as a guide for travelers, as well as the padres who traveled from mission to mission. The trees also provided shade, wood to cook with, and water because they were located near fresh water springs. The trees were planted in a "V" formation and each tree pointed to a direction on the compass. The padres chose to plant the sycamores because they were used for this purpose in Europe. In Europe they were called the "plane tree" because they were one of the easiest trees to recognize and they stood out from the rest. The spot were these four trees were planted in Burbank was used as a camp and resting place. Don Juan Bautista de Anza, Frontier Captain and Military Governor of Sonora, was one among many who made camp here."

"This particular tree was planted around 1817 and was located at 715 South Lake Street. Many of the trees branches were cut because they were deteriating and endangering the residents. Mrs. Pierina E. Lo Piccolo, founder of the Burbank Historical Museum, rescued the tree and paid for its removal after the owners of the property, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Lurtsema, graciously donated the tree to the museum. The tree is now located on West Magnolia Boulevard in Burbank."

So was this information written back when the photograph was taken (1950s/60s), or written recently (if recently, it implies the compass tree is still standing somewhere on W. Magnolia)

I have to say, if that's what the tree looked like 50 years ago, I can't image what it looks like today. (a stump?)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 18, 2017 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:38 AM

Speaking of Triangles (Hoover), this is the Melrose Triangle area where Melrose Ave,, Doheny Dr. and
Santa Monica Blvd. come together, looking northwest, on the border of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood. I do
not believe we've seen this photo before, though the location has been covered.

Anyone have an approximate idea of the date the photo may have been taken? I came across this photo on Pinterest.
A Google photo search doesn't up come with any other places this photo appears online. (Google photo search also
guesses this photo might be a snow scene. )

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:54 AM

Interesting photograph Martin. My old neck of the woods.

I took Doheny from WeHo nearly everyday when I worked in Culver City.
__

"Sunset Blvd. near it's terminus with PCH, Pacific Palisades."

paul delameter, flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/12210945@N02/

I tried to find this same curve today (using the google-mobile) but I couldn't find it.

Just for fun:

Famous race scene on the curves of Sunset.

'Against All Odds' [1982]
Video Link

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 19, 2017 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:43 AM

2500 W 7th Street

I was very put out a few days back about the plans for 2500 W 7th St and the catastrophic effect this would have on McManus & Morgan (75 years at this address) and Aardvark Letterpress, and also the integrity of this intact, architecturally significant block.

After being in communication with the architecture firm (they're based in Madrid) involved in the project (I'm sure I'm not the only one who wrote with concerns), one of the principals wrote back to say, that after consulting with the new owner of the building, both McManus & Morgan and Aardvark Letterpress will be allowed to stay after all. He met with the business owners yesterday to give them the good news. The rest of the block will also be taken into consideration as they move forward with their design.

If the firm does as good a job with No. 2500 as Ragnar Qvale did with the 1958 update to the Morgan, Walls and Morgan (Stiles O. Clements, not yet a partner, was probably supervising architect) at No. 2515-2525 W 7th, I'll be very pleased. Here's hoping.

Right now I'm feeling nothing but relief. Three cheers for Gary and Cary and their continuing tenancy at 2500 W 7th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
McManus and Morgan's shop front:

blogspot

Aardvark Letterpress' corner space:

yelp

Last edited by tovangar2; May 19, 2017 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:58 AM

Sunset Blvd. photo

Quote:

I tried to find this same curve today (using the google-mobile) but I couldn't find it.

_
That's a Charles Cushman photo, taken Feb 27, 1952.

I think the location is above the Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine, about there.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:59 AM

Oh, snap FW. LOL

Quote:

Lot more trees and no foreshortening, but I think the two cars are in about the same place:

gsv

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Lot more trees and no foreshortening, but I think the two cars are in about the same place:

gsv
if you back up a little to 17063 the hills in the distance look to be the same.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Speaking of Triangles (Hoover), this is the Melrose Triangle area where Melrose Ave,, Doheny Dr. and
Santa Monica Blvd. come together, looking northwest, on the border of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood. I do
not believe we've seen this photo before, though the location has been covered.

Great find Martin. Much history and happy memories (for me anyway) there.
That's the Doheny Fountain across the way in Beverly Gardens:

fobgp

The building on the extreme upper-right margin is still there (NE corner Doheny and SM Blvd), stripped of ornament, but painted a satisfying shade of barn red. The gas station on the right has given way to surface parking. The point emerging from the center-left margin, then hosting tracks, is now much reconfigured.

Out of shot to the left is a PetCo now. In the late 70s it was Carl's Market, scene of a notoriously gruesome shootout involving machine guns, all for control of the Beverly Hills drug trade.

Behind the photographer is the former site of the much-missed Writers' Guild Theater. I spent hundreds of rapt hours there in the theater's Old Hollywood embrace.

google maps

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:59 AM

Do you mean the Academy Awards Theatre not the WGA?

I initially pooh-poohed the fact that google image search thought the period photo was a snow scene, but it certainly looks from the car tracks on the road they are tracking something around. Could it be sand or? Could it be snow? 1949? I don't know a lot about Pinterest, but it seems there isn't any way to contact a person who's posted something. They only had the location info, but no date.

Anyway, I had not heard about the late 70's shootout at the Carl's Market. (?) Sometime last week I veered onto a website that had some news film of a fire that demolished the market in 1959. (Same year as the recent fire pictures.) I thought I saved the link, but I've tried to find it in my history all day and can't, nor on any search engine. Why, I don't know. The fire, though, was pretty devastating, they must've rebuilt. The film footage had a crowd of people watching from across the street at the Beverly Terrace, still there.

(This website with film shorts/clips had many sundry clips of all sorts of things, sort of like the Producer's Guild Library does. Strange I can't locate it in my history.)

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Do you mean the Academy Awards Theatre not the WGA?
Both. The theater belonged to AMPAS 1940-1949 (the 1949 Academy Awards ceremony was held there). The WGA took it over after AMPAS left (there were still two ginormous Oscar statuettes flanking the screen) and stayed until 1978 when their conditional use permit was revoked.

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=21494
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=37331

Video Link

Last edited by tovangar2; May 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM. Reason: add video clip

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos