The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:58 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I know it's not Lincoln Park but 3685 N Lake Shore Drive looks good to put something tall. Also at Montrose Park in Uptown there's a teardown opportunity for something big to go up.
Yeah, that huge "park" which I presume is land owned by the New York Condo Tower at Inner LSD between Waveland and the 3600 N. Inner LSD Condo Tower would be perfect for a pretty tall tower. I know little to nothing about who really owns the property, but I'll pay closer attention to any signage I see when I walk by it pretty much any given day, since it's about 2 blocks from where I live.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:31 PM

It looks as though the W tower is going to have N and S elevations per the first design that was published, with the concrete clad in opaque glass and the inset balconies:

http://loopchicago.com/blog/88-story...lakeshore-east

I can't imagine it will like like the most recent rendering--with the uninterrupted curtain wall all the way up--with those expanses of concrete punched with voids. Perhaps the elevations will end up being a hybrid of the first and second versions.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 3:39 AM

01/19/18

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 6:37 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
It looks as though the W tower is going to have N and S elevations per the first design that was published, with the concrete clad in opaque glass and the inset balconies:

-and-residence-planned-for-lakeshore-east[/URL]

I can't imagine it will like like the most recent rendering--with the uninterrupted curtain wall all the way up--with those expanses of concrete punched with voids. Perhaps the elevations will end up being a hybrid of the first and second versions.
There is, in my opinion, 0% chance that the design of this tower deviates, in any way, from the current rendering.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:55 PM

Bvic your third shot mindfucked me for a quick second. I thought I was looking at the first large panels of glass then realized I'm an idiot and I was just looking through the building at a cloudy sky. Whoops haha, great shots.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:59 PM

Stopped by the site on Saturday AM...before this gross thaw ruined the wintery look. Something I've started to notice about this building is how the stepped columns and sloped walls throw off my sense of what's 'straight' in a photo..especially when zoomed in with few true vertical reference points to go off.

Love how the elevator doors need to reach out further on each floor to meet the hoist:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:13 PM

Bravo as always nick for the details. Thank you sir.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:36 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Stopped by the site on Saturday AM...before this gross thaw ruined the wintery look. Something I've started to notice about this building is how the stepped columns and sloped walls throw off my sense of what's 'straight' in a photo..especially when zoomed in with few true vertical reference points to go off.

Love how the elevator doors need to reach out further on each floor to meet the hoist:
Leave it to an Italian to make photos look so artistic. Great shots, sir.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:46 PM
Ex Houstonian

This tower is a beast

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This will be quite visible down Fulton Market from the West Loop:

As of this morning, the top of the western Vista crane can be seen from Fulton. Probably at least a month or two before any actual concrete starts to peep over.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:36 PM

Definitely have a frusturm transition.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
There is, in my opinion, 0% chance that the design of this tower deviates, in any way, from the current rendering.
Then what do you propose is their plan for the expanses of concrete that are in plane with where the curtain wall is going?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Then what do you propose is their plan for the expanses of concrete that are in plane with where the curtain wall is going?
There is no need to guess at what they are doing with the openings in the shear walls. The floor plans are readily available on the vista website.

For example here's a 3 bedroom floor plan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 10:12 PM

OBP going for 15 mil. What the heck are the top two floors going for here? Overseas money.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
There is no need to guess at what they are doing with the openings in the shear walls. The floor plans are readily available on the vista website.
Exactly my point. It seems to illustrate that there are terraces in the voids of the wall, meaning that they're not covered in glass; i.e., that the design for those sections of facade should end up looking more like the first design than the most recent illustration.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post

For example here's a 3 bedroom floor plan
Quote:
Exactly my point. It seems to illustrate that there are terraces in the voids of the wall, meaning that they're not covered in glass; i.e., that the design for those sections of facade should end up looking more like the first design than the most recent illustration.
I can see it both ways. In the two middle bedrooms, it almost looks like the dashed line would represent some sort of sliding door. However, I think those dashed lines represent where thicker concrete would be if you peeled off the floor above.

In the third bedroom to the right, despite the dashed line, it looks like there is some sort of daybed in the alcove which leads me to believe nothing in the space is on the exterior.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:

The facade panels are clearly indicated and they extend over the holes in the shear wall. Those holes also share the same flooring pattern as the rest of the interior space.

Now notice the terrace in the bottom left corner. The floor pattern is different and the facade panels do not cover the space and a door is clearly indicated.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
I can see it both ways. In the two middle bedrooms, it almost looks like the dashed line would represent some sort of sliding door. However, I think those dashed lines represent where thicker concrete would be if you peeled off the floor above.

In the third bedroom to the right, despite the dashed line, it looks like there is some sort of daybed in the alcove which leads me to believe nothing in the space is on the exterior.

My guess is that the dashed lines, including in the hallways, indicate a change in the ceiling ht. The bedroom ceiling is X except in the alcove, where it is less. This would match up with what can be seen in the concrete wall used on the exterior.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:25 AM

I think the point is that the sheer walls aren't just going to disappear because you put facade panels over them. Either you will see them through the glass which would raise the problem of dirt accumulating in the space between the glass and concrete. Or they will have opaque glass like the first rendering. Or the glass will be so reflective that you will never see it. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:15 PM

It'll be spandral glass with the same reflective properties as the window glass. that way during the daytime it will look uniform just slight changes in tone. Just like the current renderings. Not sure where people are getting balconies from those locations. The dotted lines in the plan represent the sofit or header above.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture