HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 3:43 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Why WASTE $ for an almost total rebuild
Isn't it being designed for a relatively easy conversion to LRT? It doesn,t really matter what you say though, because there's no question that BRT is an improvement over what we have.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Lots of people = 70

I would have expected 3 or 4 or 5 times that many.

But I guess the citizens of Winnipeg have become so apathetic because WT has lost the vision for Transit here.

Time to replace WT with another organization that is maybe provincially-run that has some semblance of a REAL vision for REAL rapid transit in Winnipeg, not for some el cheapo bus highway.

Peace.
I was there right when it opened and the room was full when i left about half hour later. I can't say how many people came afterwords but i will trust you on that. It is too bad there weren't more, i guess this shows how interested Winnipeggers are with this ho-hum proposal. That and the fact that it doesn't really effect anyone directly or go through anyone's back yard.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 5:30 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Isn't it being designed for a relatively easy conversion to LRT? It doesn,t really matter what you say though, because there's no question that BRT is an improvement over what we have.
Has Ottawa converted its Transitway to an LRT yet? They were talking abut it 3 years ago, but nothing has come of it yet. It's all just talk.

Are you John Bonsall, or someone who works for the busway industry?

People, don't let this 'jmt18325' deceive you. Read the experience of OCTranspo on busways. They're a complete FAILURE.

http://www.lightrailnow.org/myths/m_otw001.htm

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 6:03 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:

People, don't let this 'jmt18325' deceive you. Read the experience of OCTranspo on busways. They're a complete FAILURE.

[/URL]
Rubbish.
The Transitway in Ottawa has only one major flaw : It's TOO SUCCESSFUL. So successful is it in fact that now solutions must be found to mitigate the impact of its over-use.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 6:22 PM

You have to take a look at when the article was written. At that time I think the information and the conclusion they try to sustain holds true. However many conditions have helped play into its success in recent years. $1.43L gas last summer was probably a good driving force.

I think the better question to ask is how well would this system be performing if it was LRT from the start and how would the costs have compared to building it and running it over the course of that time period. Then finally you need to look at what the cost to upconvert the current system will be. How much of that past infrustructure will now be wasted.

If Winnipeg can skip the BRT and go straight to LRT will this be a better solution? Will ridership increase faster then what BRT would? will lifecycle costs be lower in the long run? Will TOD be greater thus generating more taxes to offset construction costs?

These are the questions I would like to see the city address. If LRT isn't the solution then let me know why it isn't. Validate the responses and give the people the information they desire.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 9:42 PM

Another contract is out for tender, this time to relocate a bunch of tracks at Fort Rouge Yards where the BRT tunnel crosses under.

Last edited by metonymy; May 26, 2009 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 1:07 AM
I am a typical

Only 70 people? An open house about where sewers are going on our waterfront drew 300 a couple weeks ago.

Quote:
Has Ottawa converted its Transitway to an LRT yet? They were talking abut it 3 years ago, but nothing has come of it yet. It's all just talk.
That's more likely because the local government in Ottawa is (compared to other large Canadian cities) pretty corrupt and ineffective.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
yes its very difficult. Though I think we should just go with a series of gondolas, and keep the city flooded year round. All these frequent floods really make life difficult.
I live in Elm Park. Them's fightin' words.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 10:19 PM
pedal power

Quote:
Lots of people = 70

I would have expected 3 or 4 or 5 times that many.

But I guess the citizens of Winnipeg have become so apathetic because WT has lost the vision for Transit here.

Time to replace WT with another organization that is maybe provincially-run that has some semblance of a REAL vision for REAL rapid transit in Winnipeg, not for some el cheapo bus highway
I can assure that more than 70 people attended the open houses. In fact, significantly more people attended each of them for a grand total approaching the mid hundreds. That is a fact.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 7:49 PM
imagined city

All pessimism asside, honest and true facts show that the city of Winnipeg perpetually thinks about addressing civic and urban issues with a "what is the least we can do" approach. More vision is needed.

I know it costs a lot more but why not LRT instead of a (as you put it) bus highway?

Some serious changes need to be made in the way our "hell bent on sprawl", "vision is a luxury" polititians govern our city.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 12:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

problem is though we don't have enuff people at city hall to look after the city when it comes to proper planning the ones we already have are overwelmed as it is

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 1:52 AM
Youth of a Nation

Southwest Rapid Transit Corridor – Stage 1 Project
http://myride.winnipegtransit.com/en...age-1-project/
Southwest Rapid Transit Corridor Context Map

http://myride.winnipegtransit.com/as...ontext_Map.pdf

Southwest Transitway – Stage 1: Project Plan

http://myride.winnipegtransit.com/as...oject_Plan.pdf

Stations
Osborne Station

http://myride.winnipegtransit.com/as...ne_Station.pdf

Harkness Station

http://myride.winnipegtransit.com/as...ss_Station.pdf

Project Timeline

Construction Phasing

http://myride.winnipegtransit.com/as...on_Phasing.pdf

all images and content copyright city of winnipeg www.winnipeg.ca

Last edited by JayM; Jun 10, 2009 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 2:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wonder if we could move the train museum over to the old vulcan iron works building on southerland and run a spur to it again and making it so that place could become a hub of train restoration its got the overhead cranes... and thus freeing up space at union station for our future lrt

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 4:50 AM

A big smile sweeps across my face when I say, 'Osborne Station'. I'm really, really looking forward to this, perhaps more so than any other project currently underway in the city or province.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 4:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so is this brt station adition going to mess with clearance under the osborn st underpass?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 5:11 AM

Seems like a good plan. I'm actually excited to take the bus in 2011.

Noticed that the site of the current masonic temple is labelled "future development." Maybe the city is hoping they'll sell so something better can go there?

The two proposed Fort Rouge station locations sure seem hard to get to. They aren't really near anything...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 5:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

probly for park and ride (fort rouge sites)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 6:14 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Seems like a good plan. I'm actually excited to take the bus in 2011.

Noticed that the site of the current masonic temple is labelled "future development." Maybe the city is hoping they'll sell so something better can go there?

The two proposed Fort Rouge station locations sure seem hard to get to. They aren't really near anything...
Generally the stations serve as transfer hubs rather than 'stops' if you understand my meaning. They'll be busy despite their location simply because so many routes will feed into them. That's how it's supposed to work anyway.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 12:00 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Deal struck on transit corridor
Land swap eyed between city, car dealership

By: Bartley Kives | Winnipeg Free Press - 11/06/2009 1:00 AM

Winnipeg plans to buy land from one Pembina Highway auto dealership and hand it to another as part of a $5.75-million plan to remove the biggest obstacle in the path of the southwest rapid-transit corridor.

Since November, city hall has been in talks to acquire portions of 11 private properties between The Forks and Jubilee Avenue to make way for the 3.6-kilometre, $138-million first phase of a bus corridor to be constructed over the next three years.

While most of the land in question amounts to narrow edges or tiny corners of private properties, three of the parcels facing expropriation are significant: part of a parking lot behind Corydon Avenue's Masonic Memorial Temple, a former Warsaw Avenue frat house that serves as office space for Canada One Vacations, and a large segment of Pembina Chrysler's parking lot.

City council has set aside $12.7 million to acquire the properties in question, ideally through negotiations as opposed to expropriation. But the acquisition of the Pembina Chrysler parking lot proved difficult because the dealership's franchise may be revoked if it cedes too much land to the city.

After months of negotiations, city real-estate managers negotiated a novel solution: The city will buy Pembina Highway land now serving as the home of used-car dealership Autotown and hand the property to Pembina Chrysler as compensation for the loss of part of its parking lot.

On Wednesday morning, city council's executive policy committee approved the purchase of the Autotown land at 222 Pembina for $5.75 million, a sum that will cover both the cost of the property and compensation for loss of business while the used-car dealership moves to a new location.

"The price we're paying is based on the value of the land as well as the costs associated with the business disruption," city real-estate division manager Ray Klassen said. "All parties are in agreement with the proposal... (which) provides everyone with the property they need to resolve the acquisition of the land involved with the southwest bus corridor."

The city's purchase of the Autotown property will proceed after city council approves the deal on June 24. The 10-year-old dealership and garage, which has spent four years at the Pembina location, has an opportunity to expand its business at a new location, according to a real-estate division report.

Autotown co-owner Chris Dyck declined to comment on the deal before council makes its final decision. His business employs 22 people, he said.

Pembina Chrysler owner Bernie Clement, whose business supports 70 families, said he too is looking forward to the formal resolution of the deal.

The city remains in negotiations with the Masonic Memorial Temple and Canada One Travel, Klassen said.

Construction on the southwest rapid-transit corridor is slated to begin in earnest in July.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 6:53 PM

I'm looking at the overhead view of osborne station and can't seem to find the CNR tracks (main line). Where will the railway bridge be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan