HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 12:34 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
The Aura is okay and continues the arcade pattern.
I nosed my way around there the other day. The arcade space feels great and I'm sure will be even better once the retail is occupied. I was glad to see that those retail spaces have roll up doors that open up to the arcade. That space could be really bumping with the right tenants.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
A couple perspectives of Sideyard, which has just gone in for permit:

I remember thinking this felt familiar.

because:

http://inspirerendedesign.blogspot.c...z-austria.html

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 8:51 AM
A before E

As they say in architecture, no idea is original. At least it plays off a great piece of architecture, and could potentially be a great piece of architecture in itself.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:39 PM

I can't wait for this to get built. As long as it has all the promised windows (/s) it should provide a weighty contrast to the flimsy whimsy of the Dumbbell. As an added bonus, it might even make the beige balconies on the Yard look less desperate, thanks to the brick color.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:45 PM

It actually echoes the two cubes + connector form of the Dumbbell. Don't know if that was conscious but it's pretty cool.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:54 PM

Thoughts on time it will take for the first car to slam through that corner retail space? Better get some bollards placed.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 12:05 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
As they say in architecture, no idea is original. At least it plays off a great piece of architecture, and could potentially be a great piece of architecture in itself.
If they did borrow inspiration from the other building noted above, they sure improved on it. This could be fantastic.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:44 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Thoughts on time it will take for the first car to slam through that corner retail space? Better get some bollards placed.
Guessing that would be a rare thing since there hasn't been any accidents there that I know of because that curve has been there for a while.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:04 PM

203 NE Grand | 151'-7" | 15 floors | Proposed

Design Advice has been requested by Ankrom Moisan Architects for a project at 203 NE Grand:

Quote:
New 15-story mixed use building. Apartments on levels 2-15. Ground floor retail. Amenities include a lounge, fitness, leasing, bike storage and bike lounge, pet area and wash. Ground floor will be retail and active use. Proposed stormwater disposal will connect to public sewer. See PC 17-274410.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 2:29 AM

So great to see development pressure in the central city finally make blocks like this buildable. 15 stories, no less. Added bonus: the giant billboard that will come down. Fingers crossed that we see shovels before the next economic contraction strikes.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:50 AM
A before E

I think that area needs a legitimate neighborhood name with all these buildings getting built. I seriously never thought I would ever get to see that area get built up with towers like we are seeing.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:00 AM

Quote:
I think that area needs a legitimate neighborhood name with all these buildings getting built. I seriously never thought I would ever get to see that area get built up with towers like we are seeing.
"Bridgehead"?

Would be really nice to see IH (IZ) in this area.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:36 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Historically it was East Portland, a separate city with Grand Avenue serving as a main street, but east Portland today refers to a huge area of the city. Maybe the newly named district should be "Grand", related to the East Portland/Grand Avenue Historic District.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:17 PM

Drawings [64 MB] and Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval, for 820 SE Alder St.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:21 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [64 MB] and Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval, for 820 SE Alder St.
Pale yellow? ...that's their accent color? The building itself is fine. ...but... pale yellow accents? Pale yellow is a color for people who think vanilla is too bold of a flavor or that bottled water tastes too spicy.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:30 PM

We have a West End, so perhaps "East End", or "East Bank"?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:48 PM

^Or in following with the precious gems theme (i.e. Pearl and Jade Districts) perhaps this could be the Amethyst or Garnet or Topaz or Fuchsite District.

I personally miss the 4 letter district names. Anyone remember when they were going to call this area LoBu (Lower Burnside) to go with SoWa, NoPo and NoLo (North of Lovejoy)? In that vein I like GoHo for Goose Hollow and PiHi for Pill Hill...but I digress...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:13 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

This whole district is going to keep expanding east and south over time, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^Or in following with the precious gems theme (i.e. Pearl and Jade Districts) perhaps this could be the Amethyst or Garnet or Topaz or Fuchsite District.

I personally miss the 4 letter district names. Anyone remember when they were going to call this area LoBu (Lower Burnside) to go with SoWa, NoPo and NoLo (North of Lovejoy)? In that vein I like GoHo for Goose Hollow and PiHi for Pill Hill...but I digress...
GoHo FTW!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Pale yellow? ...that's their accent color? The building itself is fine. ...but... pale yellow accents? Pale yellow is a color for people who think vanilla is too bold of a flavor or that bottled water tastes too spicy.
Someone needs to tell them that the de riguer accent color is that weird mustardy lime color that is impossible to unsee.

What's with the "applied stereographic image" in the courtyard (C38, C39)?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:27 AM

I really appreciate the building. It's appropriately broken down the box without being too busy. I guess as far as the accent color goes, to each their own. I find it rather pleasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I appreciate bold flavors, I'm "married" to a very spicy Latino. I also drink Portland tap water.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland