HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Problem is that the city never does any forward thinking. When both sides of the B-G bridge were replaced it went from 2 lanes on each side to 3 lanes WB and 2 lanes EB. Why they didn't make it 3 lanes each way is beyond me. Idiots.
Because it wasn't warranted. And in my opinion still isn't. It's not the bridge, its the traffic lights. Bishop Grandin would be just fine as a 4 lane freeway.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:59 PM

On the budget, ya Emergency services take up half the budget because of unions. Winnipeg in general has less money than most Cities. But construction costs more I guess. So there's that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

What would it cost, maybe a few million max? How much do you think you're going to get for that kind of money... enough for a few hundred metres of fresh asphalt dumped on top of Pembina or Portage?
i was taking a shot at people who say its going to cost too much

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Because it wasn't warranted. And in my opinion still isn't. It's not the bridge, its the traffic lights. Bishop Grandin would be just fine as a 4 lane freeway.
So true. Any money that would be spent adding a third lane should be spent on grade separations instead! 3rd lane would just result in 3 lanes of traffic stuck at each and every light ...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:11 AM

Winnipeg roads

If the provincial and city governments had any vision or could prioritize roads properly in need of flyovers , if from say 1985 they picked 1 to do say every 2 or 3 years , perimeter and bishop would be free flowing with only minor upkeep needed ! The longer they wait the more it is costing and thus the city / prov will use money for something else and it won't be done till 2050 when metro Winnipeg will be well over a million and traffic problems will be way worse

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
The question then becomes WHY does the city not have the money for such projects? Every other city in the western world can find a way to fund and build proper roadway infrastructure. Seems that only Winnipeg cannot.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Bishop Grandin should be a higher priority, but adding an extra lane to Fermor from Dunkirk to Lagimodiere is a much more achievable goal than turning Bishop into a freeway. Break into three phases - Dunkirk-St. Anne's, St. Anne's - Lakewood, Lakewood-Lagimodiere and do it over the course of 15 years.
Impossible going to 6 lanes between Dunkirk and St Mary’s. You have a bottle neck with the old St Vital Library that’s right to the street now and Glenlawn that’s right to the street. The cluster fuck is st Mary’s and st Anne’s that kills fermor. At rush hour all three roads are bumper to bumper. I know. I live in this area. It’s a mess amd it will only get worse with more commuters.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:

What would it cost, maybe a few million max? How much do you think you're going to get for that kind of money... enough for a few hundred metres of fresh asphalt dumped on top of Pembina or Portage?
A few million ? Bowman has wasted that already. Cost was projected at $11 to $13 million for opening PnM. That right there would have been enough to finish the canceled bike path over bishop and Pembina that was axed.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
On the budget, ya Emergency services take up half the budget because of unions. Winnipeg in general has less money than most Cities. But construction costs more I guess. So there's that.
This city has been terribly managed for the past thirty years and terrible contract negotiations and contracts have painted this city into a corner where payroll eats up just about all of the yearly budget.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 6:01 AM
Back from the dead

Oh, they could have done it nevertheless. The problem, it seems to me, is that the city can neither stick with a plan nor follow through with the one they've got. There are undoubtedly cities where infrastructure is far more expensive to build and whose stagnation has kept development from spreading as far out as Winnipeg's. They still manage to do it...we just don't.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
This city has been terribly managed for the past thirty years and terrible contract negotiations and contracts have painted this city into a corner where payroll eats up just about all of the yearly budget.
Don't look at my union! Wages for bus operators haven't kept up with inflation over the last 25 years and are the lowest in Canada. I'd estimate we're 10% down taking inflation into account. Starting wage is too low to attract employees who will make it a career, actually too low to attract enough new operators at all, even with relaxed hiring standards. Wages for mechanics are still far below that of the private sector meaning very low retention. All of this actually drives up costs.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I agree. I tend to use Fermor instead of Bishop Grandin because it's less of a cluster f**k. Make Bishop Grandin a freeway proper from Waverley to Lagimodiere, or even to Fermor, and it's will take a lot of traffic off of Fermor.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Don't look at my union! Wages for bus operators haven't kept up with inflation over the last 25 years and are the lowest in Canada. I'd estimate we're 10% down taking inflation into account. Starting wage is too low to attract employees who will make it a career, actually too low to attract enough new operators at all, even with relaxed hiring standards. Wages for mechanics are still far below that of the private sector meaning very low retention. All of this actually drives up costs.
Both CUPE and ATU seem to be the ones getting hit the hardest to pay for Fire and Police. Service levels have taken a huge nose dive in Public Works and PP&D over the past few years. A close friend works in one of those departments, and there is a LOT of deferred maintenance that is going to be a problem over the next few years. Essentially all new property tax revenue from new suburbs goes towards paying for police and fire pay increases and nothing else.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Agree, at one time (less than 25 years ago) transit drivers salaries were on par with firefighters but somehow, someone decided that the WFPS and WPS employee's needed just about all the cities budget!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Agree, at one time (less than 25 years ago) transit drivers salaries were on par with firefighters but somehow, someone decided that the WFPS and WPS employee's needed just about all the cities budget!
Essential services and binding arbitration are to blame. If Transit had been declared an essential service then our wages would be in line with those in Edmonton and Calgary. A bus operator in Edmonton has a starting wage higher that WT's top rate, and their top rate is 30% higher.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:14 PM

Do bus drivers really need to get paid that much?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:18 PM

What are driver's paid? As I recall its not bad at all.

I thought the bigger issue in recruiting (or retaining) drivers was the split shift work and nasty supervisors?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:01 PM

The challenge is the skill set between driving a transit bus and driving a semi is very similar so the pay needs to be very similar. Currently long haul drivers get paid some serious cash. It is a similar issues for the mechanics.

That said the relatively slow move to fully autonomous semis, especially for long haul highway use, should see the wage rates for commercial drivers come crashing down. The downside is the fully autonomous semis is likely to cause a significant spike in demand and wages for mechanics.

As their is big money on the table in terms of long haul operation costs fully autonomous highway routes are likely one of the first that will receive public approval.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The challenge is the skill set between driving a transit bus and driving a semi is very similar so the pay needs to be very similar. Currently long haul drivers get paid some serious cash. It is a similar issues for the mechanics.
That's a good point... sort of makes you wonder how Transit can even compete with trucking companies.

As a driver, being a trucker must certainly be preferable... just, you, the satellite radio, piss bottles and the open road. No dealing with split shifts or volatile passengers required.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
What are driver's paid? As I recall its not bad at all.

I thought the bigger issue in recruiting (or retaining) drivers was the split shift work and nasty supervisors?
From the transit web site

Employee Benefits

Fully paid six week training program
3 weeks paid vacation after one year
Pension plan
Dental and vision care
Free uniforms
Working independently
Free transit service while employed as an Operator
Working with a valued and diverse workforce
Opportunities for advancement

Transit Operator Pay Rate
Rates Effective March 11, 2018
Time Frame Hourly Rate Bi-Weekly Rate Annual Salary
In Training $16.14 $1,210.69 Training
1st 12 Months $20.18 $1,513.37 $39,347.62
2nd 12 Months $21.81 $1,635.68 $42,527.68
3rd 12 Months $23.47 $1,759.95 $45,758.70
4th 12 Months $25.38 $1,903.80 $49,498.80
After 48 months $27.41 $2,055.80 $53,450.80

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan