HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I like the skyline they made for Hamilton

FlySwoop
https://twitter.com/FlySwoop
I like this one too haha

FlySwoop
[url]https://twitter.com/FlySwoop

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 3:11 AM

Swoop plans US expansion with flights starting in October.
They have submitted an application to the US Department of Transportation for a foreign air permit.

It states that they plan on beginning these flights around October 11.

Rumoured destinations include Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Phoenix and Vegas.

Application:
https://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf102/101.pdf

By the looks of it, looks like westjet will end Orlando and Vegas flights this winter and Swoop will likely take them over with increased frequencies.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 3:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

^ From the pdf

Proposed Services
Swoop’s initial transborder operations will begin in October of this year and will include services between points in Canada and Las Vegas, Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, and Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:26 PM

Swoop has told YHM that they plan on having 10 planes in service by this time next year. They are planning on doing 2 Florida destinations all year. And on all of their legal documents, they show Hamilton as their main base.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:27 PM

The first 2 Swoop planes are scheduled to land in Hamilton today at 2:40 pm.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:03 AM

Getting ready for Swoop’s first day at Hamilton International Airport (YHM)

20180618_153211 by R L, on Flickr

20180618_183457 by R L, on Flickr

20180618_183552 by R L, on Flickr

20180618_183556 by R L, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:12 AM
Ham-burgher

That hot pink... it still wows me.

With the other services, may it lead to some "Swooping" expansions at YHM. Provided the market responds with passengers.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:59 AM

I have never seen the airport so full. Every counter is spoken for, every office space is being used.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:30 PM

Winter Ops?

With all counters being in use, (3 Swoop, 3 Westjet, 1 Flair, 1 Air Canada) where will seasonal carriers go (Air Transat, Sunwing)?. Does Westjet really need 3 desks for 2-3 flights a day?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:05 PM

WestJet’s low-cost carrier Swoop to take flight as battle for price-sensitive passengers heats up

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...-heats-up.html

MONTREAL—Competition is heating up for Canada’s most price-sensitive travellers as WestJet Airlines gears up to launch the country’s second ultralow cost airline Wednesday.

Swoop, an offshoot of WestJet Airlines, will make its maiden flight on its pink and white aircraft before the sun rises in Hamilton, Ont. on a trip to Abbotsford, B.C.

“From my perspective coming into this fresh — I’ve been in Canada four months now — I personally believe there’s a huge opportunity in Canada,” said Swoop president Steven Greenway.

Greenway is an Australian native who has worked in executive positions at airlines including Japanese low-cost carrier Peach, Virgin Blue, Virgin Atlantic and Qantas.

Swoop marks his sixth airline startup.

By discounting travel, Swoop, Flair Airlines and others are trying to repatriate the more than five million Canadians who cross the border to catch flights from airports in Buffalo and Plattsburgh, N.Y., and Birmingham, Wash.

Initial one-way flights start at $49 tax included from Abbotsford to Winnipeg, $129 between Hamilton and Abbotsford and $99 between Hamilton and Halifax.

The fares don’t include a range of fees, including carry-on luggage and checked bags starting at $26.25, seat selection start at $5, and $15 to contact the call centre if the service can be carried out on the website.

No pets aside from guide dogs are allowed on board and any credits are only valid for 90 days. No loyalty points will be awarded.

Swoop is starting with two planes, with plans to roll out six by year-end and 10 in 2019.

Instead of flying from Toronto Pearson International, flights will fly out of Hamilton’s lower-cost airport. Other initial cities are Winnipeg, Edmonton, Halifax and Abbotsford.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:31 PM

A few pictures for this mornings launch of Swoop.

DgBEVXQX4AA3t4n by R L, on Flickr

IMG_8305 by R L, on Flickr

IMG_8319 by R L, on Flickr

DgEASETX4AEsge4 by R L, on Flickr

IMG_8328 by R L, on Flickr

IMG_8326 by R L, on Flickr

IMG_8325 by R L, on Flickr

The traditional route cake for this new operation. by R L, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:33 AM
It's Hammer Time

Norwegian launching first ever services to Canada out of Dublin Airport
by Travel Extra | Aviation

Norwegian is to fly its first ever route from Europe to Canada – and it’ll be out of Dublin from March 31, 2019.

The new daily service will between Dublin and Toronto Hamilton, with fares starting from €189 one way fro today on www.norwegian.com/ie.

The nonstop flights from Dublin to Hamilton – Toronto will be operated using brand new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft offering 189 seats in a single-class cabin.

Bjørn Kjos, Chief Executive Officer at Norwegian, said: “Today marks a milestone in Norwegian’s transatlantic expansion from Ireland as we announce the first ever direct route between Dublin and Hamilton – Toronto, this is also our first ever service between Europe and Canada. We are committed to providing Irish passengers with greater choice and lower fares across our network as we continue to invest in the Irish market. We look forward to welcoming passengers on board our new service to Canada from March 2019.”

Hamilton, located in the Canadian province Ontario, has easy access to major cities and attractions in the vicinity. Toronto is less than 50 minutes from the city, Buffalo New York and Niagara Falls are an one hour away.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:26 AM
Ham-burgher

May this fly better than Flyglobespan. Norwegian is a larger airline with a longer history, and hopefully more present and future success

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:38 PM

Spec article on Norwegian

Feisty low-cost Euro airline Norwegian Air taking off at Hamilton’s airport

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...ton-s-airport/

This week two Norwegian Air officials arrived at the airport in Mount Hope for the first time to announce they are taking off in Hamilton — the company's first foray into the Canadian market.

Norwegian Air will start flying out of Hamilton next March with a daily flight to Dublin, year-round. A one-way fare will start at $279, taxes included.

"It is a good price," Anders Lindstrom, the airline's communications director, told The Spectator. "We have one of the youngest fleets in the world, we will fly faster than our competitors, on lighter, more modern aircraft."

He said the service won't be billed as simply Hamilton-to-Dublin, rather each city will be considered a gateway for local excursions and travel further afield in Europe or Canada.

Less than $600 is a pretty good price.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

That's a good deal, especially if it's a brand new airplane too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:48 PM

Is anybody talking about improved ground transportation from Hamilton airport to downtown Toronto?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
That hot pink... it still wows me.
It reminds me of this blast from the past

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
They already had a contract with Menzies Ground Handlers and the airport had an RFP out for a direct bus service to Toronto that Norwegian had requested.
Looks like there will be some form of ground transportation to Toronto eventually.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:54 PM

Even an express GO bus to Aldershot GO train (where you can buy a pass to include transfer onto train).

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:11 PM

Expansion Needs

With the long-anticipated announcement of Norwegian finally coming to YHM, this must force the airport & city to invest in a larger facility. I'm aware some plans are in the making, however, seeing how Swoop, Flair, and quite possibly Air Canada are looking to expand out of Hamilton, it's gonna be very tight if they don't act soon.

Right now there are "8" boarding desks (2 doors with I believe 6 accessible aprons). This is not in any way ideal with the number of flights expected to operate out of Hamilton next year. Correct me if I am wrong, but it would make sense to expand the departure lounge to where the current outbound baggage area is and move the baggage area further down. I don't believe we need jet bridges yet (boarding the planes on foot are the best!) but wouldn't be surprised if that's announced for international flights (something to what Abbotsford's airport has).

I would talk about the check-in area since that will need lots of re-configuring, however, based on what's rumoured, I believe it may be figured out. Does anyone have some (updated) ideas of what could/suppose happen to the terminal by next March?

------
Il be at the airport frequently for my Mohawk program so Il be posting updates throughout the winter

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure