HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:18 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
A head office is a very loosely defined term. Technically, it can mean any small, family run business that has been incorporated. However small the revenue.
In reality, there are several metrics that might be used: employees, revenue, market cap, etc.

It would be interesting to see where the cities stand in all those measures.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
In the case of Air Canada it is indeed headquartered in Montreal, but it does have more employees in Toronto. Keeping the head office in Montreal was a stipulation as part of the deal when they went to privation.
If privation means the same in English as it does in French, that's pretty funny!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
In the case of Air Canada it is indeed headquartered in Montreal, but it does have more employees in Toronto. .
Those would be mostly operational jobs because Toronto is a bigger hub than Montreal. If you deal with Air Canada communications, marketing, HR, legal, etc. they are all based out of Montreal. Ticketing is in Winnipeg I believe. Customer service is in Montreal, Toronto and some other cities maybe.

As for CN, for many years the joke was that it was actually run out of Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:41 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Those would be mostly operational jobs because Toronto is a bigger hub than Montreal. If you deal with Air Canada communications, marketing, HR, legal, etc. they are all based out of Montreal. Ticketing is in Winnipeg I believe. Customer service is in Montreal, Toronto and some other cities maybe.

As for CN, for many years the joke was that it was actually run out of Chicago.
I believe you're right most of those in TO would be operational jobs. As far as the stipulation that the head office had to stay in Montreal.....I don't know the details around that. Someone more familiar with Air Canada might have more info. It may have been a temporary thing at the time, I'm not sure.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I believe you're right most of those in TO would be operational jobs. As far as the stipulation that the head office had to stay in Montreal.....I don't know the details around that. Someone more familiar with Air Canada might have more info. It may have been a temporary thing at the time, I'm not sure.
I am pretty sure it was written into law and is part of the act that privatized Air Canada.

I am pretty sure the CN privatization act has the same stipulation.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:47 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
In reality, there are several metrics that might be used: employees, revenue, market cap, etc.

It would be interesting to see where the cities stand in all those measures.
Revenue, Assets and Employees usually are the three main metrics. All can be different depending. Some companies have huge revenue streams but not huge assets. Some companies can have huge revenue streams but very small ratio of head office jobs/total jobs. Retail is the perfect example of that....lots of revenue, and lots of employees, but very small head offices.

Out of all the figures and metrics, etc... talked about in this thread, the number of head office employees is probably the most relevant. Even then, you can have a case where say a Calgary company has x number of head office employees, but that company is mostly based in Alberta, or just the western provinces.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 5:18 PM

Data for 2012 was published recently.

Annual Head Office Survey, 2012
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...40331e-eng.htm

The number of head offices in Canada declined 0.9% from a year earlier to 2,816 in 2012, while the number of head office employees increased 0.8% to 222,294.

Distribution by province and territory

The distribution of head offices continued to be concentrated, with over 85% of them in four provinces. In 2012, 40.0% of head offices in Canada were located in Ontario, followed by Quebec (20.5%), Alberta (14.2%) and British Columbia (11.3%).

Manitoba (+3.5%) reported the largest increase in the number of head office employees between 2011 and 2012, while Ontario posted a 0.2% decline.

Ontario led the provinces with the largest number of head office employees, accounting for 41.9% of the total. This was followed by Quebec (23.2%), Alberta (17.9%) and British Columbia (7.4%). The same four provinces accounted for 90.3% of head office employees in 2012, down slightly from 2011.

Location of head offices within Canada

More than two-thirds of the head offices in Canada were located in eight census metropolitan areas (CMAs): Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa–Gatineau, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Québec. These CMAs, which accounted for just over half of the country's population, was home to 68.8% of the head offices and 83.7% of head office employees.

Among these eight CMAs, Toronto had the largest number of head offices with 726, down 1.1% from 2011, and 73,380 head office employees, up 0.9% from the previous year. This was followed by Montréal, with 397 head offices and 40,824 head office employees, and Calgary, with 222 head offices and 31,572 head office employees.

Main head offices of Canada's top 500 enterprises

Although an enterprise may have multiple regional head offices, most have one main head office, which is where the strategic management of the operation is located. Examining the main head office activity of the top 500 enterprises in terms of revenue, these main head offices accounted for 17.8% of all head offices and 58.7% of head office employees.

Between 2011 and 2012, there was an increase of 2,468 head office employees (+1.9%) at the main head offices of the top 500 enterprises compared with a gain of 1,671 head office employees (+0.8%) for all head offices.

The main head offices of the top 500 enterprises were mostly located in Ontario (49.4%), Quebec (18.6%) and Alberta (15.4%). These three provinces also accounted for over 85% of the employees of the main head offices of the top 500 enterprises, led by Ontario (44.3%), followed by Alberta (21.6%) and Quebec (19.2%).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:23 PM

So why are some people convinced Calgary has more head offices than Toronto? When the data clearly suggests otherwise.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I checked ours, expecting it to be 1 or 2, but it's actually not that bad. Well below the Canadian average, of course, but not shameful:

Newfoundland and Labrador

Head offices: 36
Head offices per 100,000 people: 6.8
Head office employment: 874

And just to compare with the Big Boy:

Ontario

Head offices: 1,146
Head offices per 100,000 people: 8.4
Head office employment: 93,077

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
So why are some people convinced Calgary has more head offices than Toronto? When the data clearly suggests otherwise.
Are they? I have not heard anyone suggest that.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:41 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I don't think anyone's claiming that Calgary has more head offices, most of the boosterism around Calgary is per capita this or that. Good thing not many people from the Territories are up here...

"Per capita, Yellowknife has the most immigration and is the richest per capita in Canada! At current rates we will overtake Montreal in 2090, woot! Watch out Toronto!"

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've never heard about Calgary overtaking Toronto, but I've frequently heard about Calgary *already* overtaking Vancouver and Montreal.

Of course, these debates are dependent upon your definition of a head office in many cases, and the size of the companies you are taking into account.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:00 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Some of the head offices listed for Montreal aren't the true head office, Toronto is the real head office. The ones that come to mind are Bell, Air Canada and Bank of Montreal. There are probably a few others also.

Same for Scotia Bank which listed Halifax as their head office, whereas Toronto is the real head office.

Also, you look at Calgary and they have a high of head offices, but every single one of them is an oil company, and therefore not an accurate reading.
Bell Canada's head office is in Montreal, Bell Media's is in Toronto.

And Air Canada and CN administrative offices are definitely in Montreal.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
theres allot of regional head offices for the country in the oil industry i would imagin those dont count.
also calgary has allot of small buisnes that work within the oil and gas industry that dont count in those numbers.

that 2012 survay is intesteing as manitoba has numbers that grew though it is from 2012 wonders what the 2013 numbers are

Last edited by 1ajs; Aug 1, 2014 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:05 PM
More transit please

BMO and RBC are headquartered in TO for sure, but we have two banks, National and Laurentian. Just like Edmonton has Western Bank.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
BMO and RBC are headquartered in TO for sure, but we have two banks, National and Laurentian. Just like Edmonton has Western Bank.
Plus Desjardins (OK Montreal and Lévis) which is basically a bank as well.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:58 PM
Hammer'd

Hamilton used to have Stelco and a few other head offices but these days I don't think we have a single one. Canon has a small'ish office downtown, and CIBC has a fairly large building but thats about it. All of the big companies live down the highway in the big city.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
You missed the ATB which is essentially a bank (well in every way but ownership as it is a crown corporation). I believe they are larger then Laurentian. Finally there are the Credit Unions which in some cases are getting pretty big.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Hamilton used to have Stelco and a few other head offices but these days I don't think we have a single one. Canon has a small'ish office downtown, and CIBC has a fairly large building but thats about it. All of the big companies live down the highway in the big city.
Found this list of head offices in Hamilton, for better or worse, on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ilton,_Ontario

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:42 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Nobody has ever said that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada