HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 7:20 PM

It will be horizontal, wait till 2013, always the design by claude engel the speciality lighting firm and you will see it & it will now be LED not xenon bulbs, there are other things in the works, but that is for another day.

Alan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
1787' (beginning of beacon structure, add a couple of feet for the top) + 1300' = 3087'. Although I'm not sure where the 1300 figure comes from...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
3,087' to the top of the visible beam you see? The light beam on top of the luxor in Vegas its a solid beam for several miles above the hotel. That has been the brightest most visible light for 19 years. 1 WTC 93rd floor or 1,216' splices included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
It will be horizontal, wait till 2013, always the design by claude engel the speciality lighting firm and you will see it & it will now be LED not xenon bulbs, there are other things in the works, but that is for another day.

Alan
I just used the extra feet from the elevation. Alan, are you sure it's going to be horizontal..? Wouldn't that interfere with airplanes, and stuff? Horizontal makes no sense...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
I just used the extra feet from the elevation. Alan, are you sure it's going to be horizontal..? Wouldn't that interfere with airplanes, and stuff? Horizontal makes no sense...
I can check again Monday, I was at the presentations by lightening designer, It has been coordinated with FAA. They were very concerned if it was ever going to be a laser.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 7:42 PM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
Wow its so windy today, is it windy in NY today?
yes!!! very much...i had to take all my plants indoors!

DSC_5619 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 8:33 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

[QUOTE=CarlosV;5605121]yes!!! very much...i had to take all my plants indoors!
Another Post Card Pic Carlos !!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 8:50 PM

I hope this doesn't come off to many of you skyscraper experts as a dumb question, and I am sure it has been asked before, but hopefully you can enlighten a novice such as myself.. Just curious, exactly what type of structure is 1wtc? I know the old twin towers were tubular, and their strength came from the outside columns which acted as bracers, like a stick of celery. The old towers got most of their strength from the outside columns, and did not have many interior columns so as to free up more office space..1WTC looks to have an-all glass facade. Does it have a rigid steel skeleton as well on the exterior? I know it has strong interior concrete reinforced columns and beams? I heard somewhere that 1wtc's exterior facade is merely superficial, that it gets its strength from the interior, unlike in the old twin towers. Is this more akin to older skyscrapers like the ESB? Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 8:53 PM
Utilisateur enregistré

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Place Ville-Marie has four rotating horizontal beams and is closer to an airport than Lower Manhattan.

http://a34.idata.over-blog.com/600x4...t-blanche1.JPG

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 8:58 PM
Bionic Boogie

^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I hope this doesn't come off to many of you skyscraper experts as a dumb question, and I am sure it has been asked before, but hopefully you can enlighten a novice such as myself.. Just curious, exactly what type of structure is 1wtc? I know the old twin towers were tubular, and their strength came from the outside columns which acted as bracers, like a stick of celery. The old towers got most of their strength from the outside columns, and did not have many interior columns so as to free up more office space..1WTC looks to have an-all glass facade. Does it have a rigid steel skeleton as well on the exterior? I know it has strong interior concrete reinforced columns and beams? I heard somewhere that 1wtc's exterior facade is merely superficial, that it gets its strength from the interior, unlike in the old twin towers. Is this more akin to older skyscrapers like the ESB? Thanks.
what do you think??

10 by Ceva321, on Flickr

13 by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
1787' (beginning of beacon structure, add a couple of feet for the top) + 1300' = 3087'. Although I'm not sure where the 1300 figure comes from...
So am I correct in interpreting what you're saying as the top of the light will extend 3087' above the ground? If elevation is included in that figure (as alluded to by NewYorkSkyline117 then surely every building in Denver, let alone other mountainous regions of the Earth will be higher?

Plus, like was mentioned previously, the beam from the Luxor in Las Vegas reaches far higher into the sky.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 9:42 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Let's hope those beams on 1WTC go as high as the ones they used for the Tribute in Light every 9/11 anniversary. How high did those go anyway?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:21 PM
Bionic Boogie

still very windy, and low tide...i can see the mud/dirt around the piers for the first time!!!!

DSC_5632 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_5626 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Let's hope those beams on 1WTC go as high as the ones they used for the Tribute in Light every 9/11 anniversary. How high did those go anyway?
Thousands of feet..people we're seeing them as far as Trenton to Philadelphia

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
I can check again Monday, I was at the presentations by lightening designer, It has been coordinated with FAA. They were very concerned if it was ever going to be a laser.
Alright thanks. Ugh horiztonal beam looks like a lighthouse..vertical gives it a more connection the heavens

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
One World Trade Center uses a tube structure like the Twin Towers before it. How this works is there is a central core made of steel which contains the elevators and the stairs which is then bounded to the outer walls made out of steel by the floors, and floor trusses. This makes a building that is very resilient and won't really sway easily in the wind, and no the building get's it's strength from all it's major components, but the core and the fireproofing is much stronger than the one in the Twin Towers.

No. Old skyscrapers like the Empire State Building used a different technique in which there were columns at roughly every 30 feet square. This was a problem to many architects and engineers because if there is space you wanted to rent there are columns blocking the way. Leslie Robertson AKA the man that engineered the Twin Towers came up with the tube concept during the construction of the World Trade Center. Today his concept is used in skyscrapers throughout the world.

This video should explain it.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Closer.

So, nothing against the Cardinal; I think it looks neat in all red....but especially now since they did this I still can't believe that they didn't make the building all "Big Blue" for the Superbowl Champs!!:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
Bionic Boogie

^^^

the "Cardinal Red" special lighting will be on display for a full week!!!!

it is on right now!

Roadcruiser1 amazing video link..thanks
SSP member since 2003

Last edited by CarlosV; Feb 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 12:27 AM

[QUOTE=Roadcruiser1;5605365]One World Trade Center uses a tube structure like the Twin Towers before it. How this works is there is a central core made of steel which contains the elevators and the stairs which is then bounded to the outer walls made out of steel by the floors, and floor trusses. This makes a building that is very resilient and won't really sway easily in the wind, and no the building get's it's strength from all it's major components, but the core and the fireproofing is much stronger than the one in the Twin Towers.

No. Old skyscrapers like the Empire State Building used a different technique in which there were columns at roughly every 30 feet square. This was a problem to many architects and engineers because if there is space you wanted to rent there are columns blocking the way. Leslie Robertson AKA the man that engineered the Twin Towers came up with the tube concept during the construction of the World Trade Center. Today his concept is used in skyscrapers throughout the world.

This video should explain it.

Thanks Roadcruiser, very informative. So basically 1wtc is built exactly like the twin towers were, with tube structure, perimeter columns, and hat trusses? Only it is being built much stronger than the twins?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks Roadcruiser, very informative. So basically 1wtc is built exactly like the twin towers were, with tube structure, perimeter columns, and hat trusses? Only it is being built much stronger than the twins?
Yes, but I don't think a hat truss is being used.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 1:03 AM

So I guess that means the structure will be rigid enough already that it won't need a hat truss to keep it from swaying too much in strong winds.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 1:07 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Yeah and along with the aerodynamics of the building, it's supposed to 'confuse' the wind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive