HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Vancouver does have one big advantage on top of having a ready arena; they have a very strong brand with the Canucks to help prop up any potential basketball franchise. Only a handful of North American markets can make such boasts and Vancouver is by far the smallest market out of that group.

However, with that all being said, if the current ownership group is not interested about bringing a team here, then its all a moot point anyways.
Find that hard to believe cause Aquilini has been looking into some NBA franchises before, with the intent of moving them to Van. His remarks smell like he has no choice on what to say, he's got to say what he said. Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes with upper management within the NBA.

Where else would the Kings go after next season?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Find that hard to believe cause Aquilini has been looking into some NBA franchises before, with the intent of moving them to Van. His remarks smell like he has no choice on what to say, he's got to say what he said. Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes with upper management within the NBA.

Where else would the Kings go after next season?
What happens behind the scenes is off course always open to questioning however the only public statements that the Aquilinis have ever made in regards to the NBA is that they are not interested in getting a team at this time. In the past, the best thing they ever said was to offer to play host to the Hornets for one year. Even then they didn't make a long-term commitment. It wouldn't hurt them at all to say that at least they would consider playing host to a team should one come available.

As for the Kings, there are a number of options for them in the US including Anaheim, Kansas City, St. Louis, Louisville, New Jersey and depending on arena construction Las Vegas and Seattle. however, the most likely scenario is that they will stay in Sacramento.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 3:16 AM
Big City Enthusiast

NBA will work in Vancouver with local ownership that also owns the Canucks. Focus on Chinese/Asian players, and Vancouver becomes the pipeline the NBA has been looking for and you know local Asians and tourists will fill the seats regardless of wins. I'd also bet that Seattle folks would more likely drive up to see a game (as oppose to driving down to arch-rival Portland) and the NBA wins again by not bowing to Seattle elitism.

It is time Vancouver becomes more than 'just' a hockey town and becomes the major league city it truly is.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 8:59 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post

It is time Vancouver becomes more than 'just' a hockey town and becomes the major league city it truly is.
Its going to be more of a soccer town than a hockey town if the Canucks start having losing seasons and the 'Caps continue winning.

No one really gives a shit about the NBA outside NA. Real sporting international exposure will happen "if" the MLS makes it.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Agreed.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
No one really gives a shit about the NBA outside NA. Real sporting international exposure will happen "if" the MLS makes it.
Maybe you're not as well travelled as I am, but I have personally seen a lot of interest in the NBA in both Asia and Europe.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:21 PM

Sacramento's having stadium issues.

While I'm not sure that the NBA will allow a relocate to Vancouver, I think it is a matter of time until Van gets a second chance at demonstrating that they can support, and is a viable place for pro basketball. Believe it or not, while this city is predominantly hockey-mad, and probably even soccer mad, there is a market for the NBA here.

I think Aquilini will eventually look at the NBA. He's already been "peeking" in, with franchises such as Portland, Indiana (Pacers), and even most recently (prior to Sactown), the Hornets, in New Orleans. Here's to hoping that within the next several years, the NBA makes it's return to the beautiful city of Vancouver.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Maybe you're not as well travelled as I am, but I have personally seen a lot of interest in the NBA in both Asia and Europe.
While soccer/football is the global game, I agree with the above statement. The NBA is widly popular in Asia.

I thought soccer would be more invested and popular in Europe.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:48 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think we should just be hopefully with the divorce going thru that Aquillini doesn't lose control of the Canucks. Even though she is not going after the team, the split could cause enough financial distress to put him in a position of having to sell the team. I would venture that an NBA team is pretty far down his list of concerns at this point.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I think we should just be hopefully with the divorce going thru that Aquillini doesn't lose control of the Canucks. Even though she is not going after the team, the split could cause enough financial distress to put him in a position of having to sell the team. I would venture that an NBA team is pretty far down his list of concerns at this point.
The Canucks have no chance of being taken by Francesco's wife. The team and building is owned by the Aquillini family not just by Francesco. So the only thing that would be in play would his portion of the team; and even then, it would be a portion of that portion (if that makes any sense at all).

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:22 AM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
i am well traveled and i can assure you that in a world wide popularity contest, messi destroys all nba players combined. Of all the most valuable sports franchises in the world, not one basketball team is on the list. Sure, there are pockets of basketball support outside the USA but to call it more than pockets would be disingenuous.

on a global scale, even cricket is a bigger sport.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:51 AM

Quote:
i am well traveled and i can assure you that in a world wide popularity contest, messi destroys all nba players combined. Of all the most valuable sports franchises in the world, not one basketball team is on the list. Sure, there are pockets of basketball support outside the USA but to call it more than pockets would be disingenuous.

According to the list I saw, cricket is actually the 3rd most watched sport in the world, which is surprising. Basketball ranks 6th in the world, which is respectable.

Forget basketball in Vancouver, build a waterfront stadium for baseball!

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:19 AM

Quote:

I completely agree with you but based on my experiences basketball is indeed surprisingly popular outside of NA, and im not talking about Asia. By the way I could care less about basketball so I dont think im being biased.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:

In case you forgot, your original point was that nobody gives a shit about the nba outside NA, which simply isn't true. Basketball reach isn't confined to pockets any more than cricket is.

Yes, basketball isn't the most popular sport in the world, and soccer is #1, we get it.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:48 PM
loafing in lotusland

Baseball is also popular in parts of Asia. I think that the New York Yankees are one of the more popular sports franchises.

As for probably the world's MOST popular sports franchise... maybe I'd pick Manchester United FC.

As for a non-soccer famous franchise... Rugby's New Zealand All Blacks comes to mind.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 3:21 PM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:07 PM

Mexico City will get a team before they give Vancouver another shot.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:06 PM

what's encouraging is that the NBA has interest. So even with Mexico City, and Seattle before Vancouver. I'd take that. Love to have a team to call our own, and cheer for them through thick and thin.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 8:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Mexico City will get a team before they give Vancouver another shot.
The relatively weaker/more volatile peso (vis-a-vis the Canadian dollar) is the biggest hurdle/threat for a Mexico siting.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
The relatively weaker/more volatile peso (vis-a-vis the Canadian dollar) is the biggest hurdle/threat for a Mexico siting.
Yes, the Mexican peso is one of the worst performing currencies in the past two years and will likely continue to devalue. This country is such a shithole, I'm really looking forward to seeing it all crash down. The US needs to build the wall as soon as possible!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation