HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
raw Bitumen is a thick, almost "tar-like" substance.
Unlike light oil, bitumen contains sulfur, salts, nitrogen, clays, asphaltenes, resins, and heavy metals such as nickel and vanadium.
It has to be upgraded to turn into oil. It can't run through a pipeline in its raw state.

Therefore I see nothing wrong with the Tar Sands moniker, especially since it was first coined numerous decades ago before there was such as thing as an Environmentalism movement.

You must get your light oil out of a can? Crude oils are all mixed with impurities, generally a mix of corrosive salts, water, natural gases, CO2, H2S, sulphur, asphaltenes, aromatics, trace metals, mercury.......did we just prove bitumen is oil?

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:37 AM

http://www.crudemonitor.ca/home.php

Good summary of what comprises different grades of crude.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Since we are searching for euphemisms can we rename the "2014 Quebec General Election and General Separatism Discussion" to "Marois: Cultural Learnings of Canada for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Québec"?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:01 PM

Figure the Northern Gateway discussion should be had here as opposed to 4 other threads simultaneously.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:25 PM

What was the logging protest in BC a while back where the RCMP started pepper spraying the protesters? That's where I see this going if this does actually go through.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:35 PM
Fake News

Approval was a foregone conclusion considering all the Cons have done to stack the deck in its favour. Those pesky endangered whales have been downgraded to threatened, navigable waters act has been destroyed, stakeholders have been all but narrowed to those directly in the pipeline's path, CSIS and he RCMP have been ordered to spy on any organized protests including bake sales and the NEB already gave it a green light. Nevermind tht hundreds of scientists recently wrote a plea to the government asking it to reconsider and pointing out how flawed the entire evaluation process was. Never mind that First Nations have said plain as day there is no negotiating, they don't want it on their land. Never mind the massive protests everywhere. Never mind that kitimat held a plebiscite where residents overwhelmingly shot it down.

Last edited by O-tacular; Jun 18, 2014 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Figure the Northern Gateway discussion should be had here as opposed to 4 other threads simultaneously.
I agree with you in principle, but it (the whole years-long process so far) is kinda on topic too for a thread about "Stephen Harper and Co.'s BS".

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I agree with you in principle, but it (the whole years-long process so far) is kinda on topic too for a thread about "Stephen Harper and Co.'s BS".
It's on topic in the Provincial Economies thread too, though I think it's better served being in a single place.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Approval was a foregone conclusion considering all the Cons have done to stack the deck in its favour. Those pesky endangered whales have been downgraded to threatened, navigable waters act has been destroyed, stakeholders have been all but narrowed to those directly in the pipeline's path, CSIS and he RCMP have been ordered to spy on any organized protests including bake sales and the NEB already gave it a green light. Nevermind tht hundreds of scientists recently wrote a plea to the government asking it to reconsider and pointing out how flawed the entire evaluation process was. Never mind the fat Firat Nations have said plain as day there is no negotiating, they don't want it on their land. Never mind the massive protests everywhere. Never mind that kitimat held a plebiscite where residents overwhelmingly shot it down.
Lets not forget the amound of protected land (Caribou habitat) in northern Alberta they are opening up to development. Harper doesn't care about the environment, he wants to exploit as much resources as possible.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:57 PM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Approval was a foregone conclusion considering all the Cons have done to stack the deck in its favour. Those pesky endangered whales have been downgraded to threatened, navigable waters act has been destroyed, stakeholders have been all but narrowed to those directly in the pipeline's path, CSIS and he RCMP have been ordered to spy on any organized protests including bake sales and the NEB already gave it a green light. Nevermind tht hundreds of scientists recently wrote a plea to the government asking it to reconsider and pointing out how flawed the entire evaluation process was. Never mind the fat Firat Nations have said plain as day there is no negotiating, they don't want it on their land. Never mind the massive protests everywhere. Never mind that kitimat held a plebiscite where residents overwhelmingly shot it down.
You live in Calgary? must be popular at dinner parties...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:58 PM
blog this

Quote:
Lets not forget the amound of protected land (Caribou habitat) in northern Alberta they are opening up to development. Harper doesn't care about the environment, he wants to exploit as much resources as possible.
Et tu brute?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 12:01 AM

So you think all people in Calgary are pro oil no matter the cost?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
What was the logging protest in BC a while back where the RCMP started pepper spraying the protesters? That's where I see this going if this does actually go through.
There was no pepper spray at Carmanha (sp). You maybe thinking of the Pacific Leaders Conference when the RCMP sprayed the protesters with a huge pepper sprayer device. And Chretian later saying - "I use pepper on my steak"

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 12:50 AM
blog this

Ugh reading what eastern-liberal-enviro-eggheads have to say about this decision is depressing. Western Canada needs to separate....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 12:53 AM

You know, most of the people complaining about this are in northern BC. Most Ontarians are barely aware of the issue.

And on this forum, I'm seeing a lot of Calgary posters complaining.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
There was no pepper spray at Carmanha (sp). You maybe thinking of the Pacific Leaders Conference when the RCMP sprayed the protesters with a huge pepper sprayer device. And Chretian later saying - "I use pepper on my steak"
Yeah that's what I was thinking of. The logging protest I was thinking about was actually Clayquot Sound back in the early 90's.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:01 AM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
You know, most of the people complaining about this are in northern BC. Most Ontarians are barely aware of the issue.

And on this forum, I'm seeing a lot of Calgary posters complaining.
Maybe they just need to educate themselves, this will help: http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3627966956001

And I don't give a fuck what you think about Ezra Levant, keep your ad homs to yourself.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:25 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Please consider that everyone else can't care what you think Ezra Levant can equivocate on.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:40 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Oh yes thank you for reminding me of that. Yet another threatened species to add to the list this pipeline is going to shit on.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:41 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post
You live in Calgary? must be popular at dinner parties...
Not everyone in Calgary is an oil executive or Harper supporter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada