HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 4:25 PM

Share your Toronto skyline secrets!

So I'm going to be heading to Toronto for two weeks. I'm running Goodlife Fitness Marathon this Saturday, and Ottawa Marathon on May 29th. Since I'm staying at St. Mike's Residence on the U of T campus, I'll be right downtown, and want to get lots of pictures (street and skyline). I've been told by more than a couple people that the CN Tower experience is ok, but not cheap (as is Casa Loma) and as always I travel on a budget.

Where's a good place to get some great urban shots - I googled Toronto Islands - looks good, Humber Bay Park, looks good, how about quirky/gritty but interesting? Ethnic areas with unique shops? As far as Ottawa goes, the only suggestions I got were the Parliament Building and the revolving restaurant at the Marriott.

Oh...since I'll be there for Victoria Day, any advise on places to get good photos of anything going on?

Thanks!

Jon
jonathanlund@hotmail.ca

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 4:49 PM

Toronto: there are photo opportunities pretty much everywhere you turn. Toronto has many, many commercial districts throughout the core and well beyond downtown. List your interests and there is probably a district for it. Obvious suggestions would be Yonge St, Queen W, Spadina or Bloor, but there are many other options. If you want to see some cool residential, check out Cabbagetown.

Ottawa: Byward Market is the main tourist area, with lots of bars and restaurants. A more adventurous non-tourist experience would be to head east on Somerset to Chinatown and then beyond that along Wellington to Hintonburg and Richmond Rd. thru Westboro. (Somerset, Wellington and Richmond are all one long road). Bank Street is the other commercial road. For a taste of the residential, check out Centretown and the Glebe. Go across the river to Hull to experience Quebec.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 4:51 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuluthJon View Post
So I'm going to be heading to Toronto for two weeks. I'm running Goodlife Fitness Marathon this Saturday, and Ottawa Marathon on May 29th. Since I'm staying at St. Mike's Residence on the U of T campus, I'll be right downtown, and want to get lots of pictures (street and skyline). I've been told by more than a couple people that the CN Tower experience is ok, but not cheap (as is Casa Loma) and as always I travel on a budget.

Where's a good place to get some great urban shots - I googled Toronto Islands - looks good, Humber Bay Park, looks good, how about quirky/gritty but interesting? Ethnic areas with unique shops? As far as Ottawa goes, the only suggestions I got were the Parliament Building and the revolving restaurant at the Marriott.

Oh...since I'll be there for Victoria Day, any advise on places to get good photos of anything going on?

Thanks!

Jon
jonathanlund@hotmail.ca
Quirky? Kensington Market. Most of Toronto is gritty; it's the newer sections that tend not to be. There are some old bits that aren't gritty: Distillery District, St. Lawrence Market area, etc.

Ethnic? Danforth is Greek, Just west of the Annex on Bloor West is KoreaTown, Little Italy is on College west of Bathurst, Chinatown is on Spadina north of Queen, Corktown is Irish, Ossington and Dundas is Portuguese/Brazilian, Little India is on Gerrard East but quite far. There aren't any interesting ethnic English or Scottish areas but there are English style pubs all over the place. Btw, there are a number of Chinese and Italian areas, but i just mentioned the ones downtown.

Ottawa? Only been there once, but do the Museum of Civilization (across the river in Hull) and the Rideau Canal is really pretty. Beyond that you'd have to ask someone else.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuluthJon View Post

Thanks!

Jon
jonathanlund@hotmail.ca
For Ottawa:
Museum of Civilization
Byward Market
Walk the Rideau Canal

For something a little different, you can head into Gatineau Park and visit Meech Lake or the Mackenzie King Estate.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
....... There aren't any interesting ethnic English or Scottish areas but there are English style pubs all over the place. ...........
For a whole range of reasons, and not to start some kind of debate, but that line made me chuckle. I was going to say that there's always Rosedale, but really the idea of an English or Scottish "ethnic" area in English Canada .....

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 6:02 PM

My favourite (free) Toronto skyline vantage points are:

From the north: Avenue Road hill, south of St. Clair
From the east: Broadview street (overlooking Riverdale Park)
From the south: Polson Street in the Portlands
From the west: 4th floor of the Dragon City Mall in Chinatown
From further west: Humber Bay

Interesting/gritty areas: Queen Street West, Cabbagetown, Chinatown, Kensington, Dundas Square

Overall quality areas: King West, King East, St. Lawrence, U of T, Yorkville, Bloor Street (west of Spadina), The Beaches (Queen East)

Ethnic areas: Little Italy on College, Chinatown, Koreatown (Bloor West), Danforth (Greek).

Extra: One of my favourite hidden streets is Baldwin (between Beverley and McCaul). Great quaint, little street for restaurants, and cafes.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 4:24 AM

The roof top restaurant(I think floor 18) of the Hyatt Hotel has an outdoor balcony. Great photos of the Toronto skyline. The hotel is at Avenue Road and Bloor Street.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 12:08 AM
Volatile Pacivist

So DJ, how did the trip go? Any cool pics to share with us?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 11:32 PM

To me, by far the most "impressive" skyline vantage is from the Gardiner driving westbound towards downtown from the DVP. If you want to be wowed by the skyline, that's the ticket. Other perspectives are prettier, but none is as imposing.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize this was 6 months old.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 9:27 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Edit: Sorry, didn't realize this was 6 months old.
I know but I just want to see more posting activity in the new Toronto section. It's taking awhile for things to get going.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto