HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:55 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
This place is quite well known, but it is kind of hidden away in the south west corner of Alberta

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...s-canada-park/
Ahhhh the Prince of Wales Hotel... nestled right between the southwest foothills and the Alberta Rockies. I need to go there. Apparently the hiking in that area is unparalled!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's "guess the town", NS edition. None of these are that obscure but they're not tourist magnets either. There are a lot of towns like this around NS:

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Ahhhh the Prince of Wales Hotel... nestled right between the southwest foothills and the Alberta Rockies. I need to go there. Apparently the hiking in that area is unparalled!
It’s gorgeous. Take your bear spray if you plan on getting off the main trails at all, however. About half the times I’ve gone there I’ve seen black bears. That rise of land where the hotel is is extremely windy, but the view from the hotel is spectacular. It’s owned by an American company and seems to be marketed almost exclusively to Americans. It’s a bit expensive too, but the lobby and the main front room are open to the public, so you can walk in and look right out the front window. And it’s close enough that you do a day trip from Calgary and see quite a bit of the park.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:47 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here's "guess the town", NS edition. None of these are that obscure but they're not tourist magnets either. There are a lot of towns like this around NS:
Great photos, someone123. I'm afraid I can't guess which towns they are, but I'd like to know so that I can have a look via Google Streetview.

I've never been east of Quebec City. I really need to do a trip to the Maritimes one of these summers.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Great photos, someone123. I'm afraid I can't guess which towns they are, but I'd like to know so that I can have a look via Google Streetview.
I'll wait a bit to see if people do want to guess and then I'll post the town names.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

ross house museum and all the other house museums through out the city....

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'll wait a bit to see if people do want to guess and then I'll post the town names.
I have no clue but I'm intrigued by the red sandstone (?) building with the round turrets in the bottom right photo. Post Office? Presbyterian Church? other?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:16 AM

Guessing clockwise from top left - 1: New Glasgow, 2: Yarmouth, 3: Not sure. Guessing Wolfville, Antigonish, Glace Bay or Bridgewater, 4: Amherst, 5: Windsor, 6: Kentville

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:20 AM

A very striking little resort just outside Revelstoke, similar in setting to the Prince of Wales Hotel, called Three Valley Gap:

Source

Source

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:33 AM

Dalvray by the Sea, PEI

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are my guesses someone

#1 - New Glasgow
#2 - Maybe Truro (not sure)
#3 - Annapolis Royal (pretty sure)
#4 - Kentville
#5 - North Sydney (a guess)
#6 - Amherst

What does the winner get??

Oh, and kwoldtimer, the turret building is indeed a church and I think it is Presbyterian at that…….

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:55 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Well I know the one at the bottom right is Amherst because I'm from there and I know none of the others are Amherst. The top right I know I've seen that building before and I think it was either in Lunenburg or Mahone Bay. The top center looks like Yarmouth. Not quite sure of the others. I'm sorry to admit there are a lot of towns here I haven't spent much time in.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 1:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The towns are:

1. New Glasgow, 2. Yarmouth, 3. Liverpool
4. Kentville, 5. Windsor, 6. Amherst

The red stone is something you see in towns in Northern NS, PEI, and Southeast NB.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 1:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I didn't include any towns from the Sydney area but here are some vintage photos I found. This really is one of those places that has seen better days, although many of the buildings that remain today have been cleaned up.

This area has a little under 100,000 people, the same population it had in the 1930's (the metro area -- or collection of towns, whatever you want to consider it -- peaked in 1961 at 130,000). From around 1890-1930 it was very successful and a bunch of towns grew up around the steel mills, coal piers, etc. After World War II the region found itself in the same boat as the rust belt cities.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 3:52 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
A very striking little resort just outside Revelstoke, similar in setting to the Prince of Wales Hotel, called Three Valley Gap:

I love this place; my family stayed here once when I was really young, but I remember it so vividly, the imagery and scenery have always really stuck with me over the years. Would really love to go back someday.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:35 AM

Ontario has many beautiful small towns.

Port Stanley is a very quaint and kinda artsy little place. Someone mentioned Amherstburg earlier and yes it is a real gem. I also use to live on salt Spring Island which is a great place with a very interesting collection of people. Although it has certainly lost some of it's hippie/alternative edge due to huge real estate developments, it's still a charmer.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada