HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Dec 8, 2005, 9:16 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Instead of the leaders complaining about lack of support on Roseville's part, they should instead think... If the arena is DT, all those people from El Dorado and Roseville will be spending money DOWNTOWN. But no....

Old Posted Dec 8, 2005, 10:35 PM

^
Good point.
Isn't there a surcharge/tax on every ticket sold? I am sure the City makes money off of the Kings somehow. It is not as simple as: ‘only evil, rich folks from El Dorado Hills and Placer County go to see the games; they are the ones that benefit, so they should pay for the arena.’ Ms. Hammond's pass the buck/class warfare response is totally unacceptable. At the end of the day, the team is called the Sacramento Kings, not the El Dorado Hills Kings. Plus, her point does not even make sense: the people who attend Kings games (evidently, people from El Dorado Hills and Roseville) actually have to pay to get in - so as far as I am concerned, they are already making a huge contribution.

Quote:
Please write to the leaders in the surrounding areas and ask them to work with us.
What? That direction implies the City is trying to do something and needs help. Now, I do not know what is going on behind the scenes. However, based on statements made by the mayor ('Uh, well, I do not know what is happening with the arena right now'.), I doubt the City is doing anything of substance. So Ms. Hammond, in order for leaders in the rich selfish communities to help the cause, they must have a cause (something of substance) to help! Unfortunately, Tsakopoulos is the only one doing something, while the City sits on the sidelines. The surrounding cities and counties must see Sacramento get involved before they will.
What our "leaders" fail to realize is that Sacramento is the anchor (well, should be the anchor) of this community, so it should lead the way!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2005, 11:12 PM
Here we stAy

It's just sick that there is no real concern on the officials part. Whether or not the Kings stay, the need for a large capacity indoor facility (i.e. arena) will be needed by the Sacramento region. Some "leaders" these people are, with just passing the blame and saying other communities need to do something, instead of coming up with an original idea to include the whole area.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2005, 11:20 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a
Instead of the leaders complaining about lack of support on Roseville's part, they should instead think... If the arena is DT, all those people from El Dorado and Roseville will be spending money DOWNTOWN. But no....

Very well said. However unlike our elected officials, you have intelligence. They on the other hand are a bunch of simpletons.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2005, 3:35 AM

Why dont you guys attend a city council meeting and make these arguments in person? I would love to hear their response to these arguments in person instead of them just getting away with mass mailing a generic email.

It would be very hard, if not impossible fo them to argue against you guys since you guys make pretty much irrefutable points.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2005, 6:57 PM

I was watching the kings vs Rockets game last night on TNT and I gotta say that Arco arena really looks very old and outdated compared to other venues around the country.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2005, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin
Why dont you guys attend a city council meeting and make these arguments in person? I would love to hear their response to these arguments in person instead of them just getting away with mass mailing a generic email.

It would be very hard, if not impossible fo them to argue against you guys since you guys make pretty much irrefutable points.
Majin is right. Instead of meeting for beers, meet up and go to the CC and present you arguments. C'mon guys, you can change Sacramento forever!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2005, 7:20 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by What is a Rivercat?
Quote:

Majin is right. Instead of meeting for beers, meet up and go to the CC and present you arguments. C'mon guys, you can change Sacramento forever!
Apparently it's up to everyone else :nuts: Why don't you get
involved... or do you not care?

There are a hand full of us on this forum who have spoken up
on various subject and have tried to make an impact... just because
we don't report it here doe's not mean it has not happen.

Also... there was a time (spring of this year) when several of us
started up a group called "Sacramento Area Citizens For Responsible
Growth" in an attempt to get other formers involved
in what we all consider important issues to the community.
We started out with eight members then it dwindled down to a
couple people because no one showed up.

Last edited by innov8; Dec 9, 2005 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2005, 8:01 AM

I've sent so many emails to the council about hihs subject already. I guess sending one to the region can't hurt.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2005, 8:56 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Good.. maybe that will help change their mentality...

Why isn't Roseville or EDH helping

Old Posted Dec 10, 2005, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOKnUP
Quote:
Originally Posted by What is a Rivercat?
Quote:

Apparently it's up to everyone else :nuts: Why don't you get
involved... or do you not care?
You're right of course. I'm just not a resident of Sacramento proper, so I didn't think I had a right to go to Sacramento City council to tell them how bad they are effing up.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2005, 12:49 AM
4giv me for I have Zin'd

^ not true -- this would be a regional-style project and affects us all -- so your opinions are valid.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2005, 10:58 PM

All this plucky little arena needs is some leadership!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2005, 5:17 PM

Someone posted this on SSC. Have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.replacearcoarena.com/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2005, 7:08 PM

That's awesome!!!...sometimes it takes a grassroots effort to get the bureaucracy moving on things like this.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 12:08 AM

Where to spend $70 million? Hmmmm.... I have an idea!

Sacramento council wants to know: How do we spend $70 million?
By Terri Hardy -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:34 pm PST Wednesday, December 14, 2005
After several years of belt-tightening and budget cuts, the Sacramento City Council has a happy problem: how to best spend $70 million for city improvements.
At Tuesday night's packed meeting, Mayor Heather Fargo asked the public to dream a bit and share ideas on how to spend the funds, but cautioned there was only so much money to go around.

"There are a lot of things on the wish list," Fargo said. "We already have more ideas than we have money."
Staff members had prepared a preliminary list, including a 311 call center for non-emergency calls; a fire station replacement; regional parks; and partial funding for a transportation station in the downtown Union Pacific railyard.

Several nonprofit groups greatly expanded the list, with the focus on arts and cultural facilities. Requests ranged from new bathrooms for Fairytale Town to a $25 million contribution to a large expansion of Crocker Art Museum.

City finance officials will revise the list and present it to the council in late January or early February, said Cassandra Jennings, assistant city manager.

The $70 million general fund bond will be split equally between citywide and neighborhood projects. The debt will be repaid with property tax dollars once funneled away by the state.

In fiscal year 2004-05 and again in 2005-06 the state took property tax dollars from cities, including $6 million from Sacramento, to balance its budget.

The property tax stream will be returned to the city in fiscal year 2006-07 and will be more than enough to pay the yearly debt on a $70 million bond, said city Treasurer Tom Friery.

There are strict rules for the use of the bond funds - work must be for capital improvements, not operating expenses, and it must be completed in three years.

About 50 people attended to support the Crocker project. Marcy Friedman of the Crocker Art Museum Association reminded the council the building was city-owned and Crocker supporters already have $49 million committed to the $75 million expansion.

"We are on global view," Friedman said. "Shouldn't Sacramento be the cultural standard bearer of California?"

Preservationists made the case that $10.4 million should be spent for repairs to the deteriorating Memorial Auditorium. In the 1980s, the city promised to spend $40 million on the auditorium, but in the end, spent only $10.8 million.

"If we had gotten all the money we were supposed to receive, we wouldn’t be here today," said Bob Rakela, president of Friends of Memorial Auditorium.

Other requests included $3.1 million for Sacramento Zoo improvements; $500,000 to update exhibits at the Discovery Museum of Sacramento; $5 million for designs for Community Center Theater improvements; $3 million toward a new Children’s Theatre of California; $2 million to help build a Sacramento Children’s Museum; and $2 million to construct a interactive learning and exhibition Unity Center.

Requests also were made to fund libraries and to build a downtown performing arts rehearsal center and an interpretive environmental center in Natomas, but no specific contribution amounts were given.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 12:15 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc
$5 million for designs for Community Center Theater improvements;

I assume they mean another $5 million dollars for new designs. It's a shame they can't get serious about just committing to remodeling the CCT. The reality is we'll probably waste $5 million dollars for the updated renovation plans only to conclude that there's no money once again to do the work.

Same story......

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 12:46 AM

I watched a city council meeting the other day and the CCT renovation was on the agenda. Apparently, they've got 2 scenarios - one in which the entire renovation will be done over 2 years at a cost of $70 million, and one in which the renovation is done incrementally over 5 years and costs $77 million. The council members, however, can't seem to agree on just what needs to be renovated. One of them wondered if the CCT shouldn't be torn down altogether, while others argued over the seats and bathrooms, and Sheedy didn't want to do anything at all. I'm going to file the CCT renovation in my "distant future development" folder.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 12:54 AM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninsac
I'm going to file the CCT renovation in my "distant future development" folder.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 2:35 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninsac
One of them wondered if the CCT shouldn't be torn down altogether
YES!! Duh. Why is this so hard to understand?!?! It's too small to begin with, so how would new seats and improving bathrooms change that? I swear we have the dumbest elected people anywhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area