HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #49601  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:49 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
VW DAY

Unknown woman sticking her head out of an orange VW Bug on Pacific Coast Highway. (1970s?)
___________________________________________________________________
I happen to think that's a guy.


--------

Also, thank you for posting that photo of your Grandfather from WWI, celebrating the end of WWI 100 years ago yesterday!

Your family called him Poppy and poppies were also used as a symbol for the end of the war.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49602  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:54 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Grateful tribute from France to Mr Lawrence Barr !
Thank you AlvaroLegido. I really appreciate that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49603  
Old Posted Yesterday, 7:00 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Also, thank you for posting that photo of your Grandfather from WWI, celebrating the end of WWI 100 years ago yesterday!

Your family called him Poppy and poppies were also used as a symbol for the end of the war.

THANK YOU MARTIN PAL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49604  
Old Posted Yesterday, 7:05 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,397
Here's a 'mystery' building I rediscovered last night in an old file of mine.

Does anyone recognize it?


could be from ebay...lapl...usc...ucla...?

I had it labeled "Earthquake damage, possibly Santa Monica Blvd."

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 12:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49605  
Old Posted Today, 12:11 AM
ovens's Avatar
ovens ovens is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Los Angeles, The Valley and West Hollywood
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's a 'mystery' building I found last night in an old file of mine.

Does anyone recognize it?


could be from ebay...lapl...usc...ucla...?

I had it labeled "Earthquake damage, possibly Santa Monica Blvd."

__
Richard Thomas Production Studios


I was cruising TESSA this afternoon, and saw the building -- and I remembered it from your post!

Feels good haha
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49606  
Old Posted Today, 12:32 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,397
Thank you ovens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESSA
The building was demolished in March 1994 after it was damaged by the 1994 Northridge earthquake.

Description Exterior view of the Richard Thomas Production Studios, located at 5823 Santa Monica Blvd.
John Boy...that Richard Thomas?

__
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49607  
Old Posted Today, 1:11 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,397
Last week when I was on my quixotic quest to find Amelia's stupid ol' carob tree

I happened upon this interesting photograph in the USC Digital Archives

The USC label is a bit confusing. (the question mark is theirs)

Toluca Lake community (?) in North Hollywood, once Lankershim, San Fernando Valley 1894

possibly a repeat for nla.

USC [the site is really slow tonight] I'll post the direct link later.

USC goes on to say "with the mountains visible in the background"...which isn't much help. So my question is: Is that the back of Mt. Lee on the left?
(in other words, are we looking southish?)


USC also says the building in the distance [with the bell tower] is the old Lankershim School. (I thought it was a church)

I guess that's a weather vane on top and not a cross.

DETAIL

SOOOOO....where was the old Lankershim school located?

______




And finally...I'd like to point out something peculiar that caught my eye.

Take a look at the vines hanging from the awnings.


DETAIL

GOOD for privacy / BAD if you want to see out your window.
I believe I pointed out something similar a few months ago..at a different location.


_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 1:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49608  
Old Posted Today, 3:57 AM
BillinGlendaleCA BillinGlendaleCA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Last week when I was on my quixotic quest to find Amelia's stupid ol' carob tree

I happened upon this interesting photograph in the USC Digital Archives

The USC label is a bit confusing. (the question mark is theirs)

Toluca Lake community (?) in North Hollywood, once Lankershim, San Fernando Valley 1894

possibly a repeat for nla.

USC [the site is really slow tonight] I'll post the direct link later.

USC goes on to say "with the mountains visible in the background"...which isn't much help. So my question is: Is that the back of Mt. Lee on the left?
(in other words, are we looking southish?)

_
Yes the photo is looking south, but Mt. Lee is actually out of the frame to the left. The mountains you do see is Caheunga Peak on the left and Burbank Peak(it's the one with the "Tree of Life" or "Wisdom Tree" on it's summit) further right before the drop off to Caheunga Pass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49609  
Old Posted Today, 7:22 AM
ScottyB ScottyB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Burbank
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Last week when I was on my quixotic quest to find Amelia's stupid ol' carob tree

I happened upon this interesting photograph in the USC Digital Archives

The USC label is a bit confusing. (the question mark is theirs)

Toluca Lake community (?) in North Hollywood, once Lankershim, San Fernando Valley 1894

possibly a repeat for nla.

USC [the site is really slow tonight] I'll post the direct link later.



_

Here is a link to Nathan Masters' post about the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49610  
Old Posted Today, 8:30 AM
Tikiman's Avatar
Tikiman Tikiman is offline
Tikiman
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 15
Odd Hollywood Architecture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uuCjQrGKPpU I came across this post by Scott Rosenberg on Youtube that shows some great shots of 1920s Hollywood and thought I would share. I don't recall seeing this on NLA before so forgive me if it had.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49611  
Old Posted Today, 6:01 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Video Link


I came across this post by Scott Rosenberg on Youtube that shows some great shots of 1920s Hollywood and thought I would share. I don't recall seeing this on NLA before so forgive me if it had.
This is great, Tikiman! I don't recall seeing it before. Thanks for posting it!

It's called "Hollywood the Unusual." One title card says Grauman's Chinese Theatre has just opened so it's c. 1927.

It features lots of mimetic architecture, restaurants, apartment buildings, theatres, houses, gas stations, etc. Many things we've seen in photos and some we have not. There also seems to have been a conscious decision to have at least one person shown in every location which adds a nice touch to the film.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49612  
Old Posted Today, 11:01 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Yes the photo is looking south, but Mt. Lee is actually out of the frame to the left. The mountains you do see is Caheunga Peak on the left and Burbank Peak(it's the one with the "Tree of Life" or "Wisdom Tree" on it's summit) further right before the drop off to Caheunga Pass.
Thank you BillinGlendaleCA. I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.