HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
How do you know it would be a success the Bills series had Jay Cutler, Peyton Manning and Mark Sanchez come to town, some of the biggest names in the NFL and they couldn't sell out! I know the Bills wouldn't draw much but the visiting teams should have. Also the tickets were priced more because Skydome seats much less than typical NFL stadiums. Look at the fan bases of the Raiders, Steelers, Giants ect.. and how loyal and fanatical they are and then look at Toronto sports fans other than the leafs it's a joke. They are so quiet, bland, fair weather that they simply don't deserve an NFL team.
Jay Cutler... Biggest names in the NFL? lol

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 4:09 PM

He is a name and I am a Bears fan and it really stinks this morning, but still Toronto had Urlacher, PEYTON FRIGGIN MANNING come to town and they couldn't sell out knowing it would help their cause into luring an NFL team. Yes tickets were expensive but it was just one game not a whole season and the stadium seats much less than that of typical NFL stadiums and Toronto is the 4th largest city in NORTH AMERICA.Face it their fans suck and I feel bad for Bills Fans in Buffalo WHO ARE REAL FANS they shouldn't have to share their team they love the Bills they get 70,000+ for many games even though the Bills suck the past decade and their economy is in the toilet.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 4:41 PM

Toronto wouldn't get an NFL team without building or commit to building a new stadium, Rogers Centre is too small and dated for the NFL. LA's building a new one and will probably end up with the Jaguars. The only other teams that could possibly relocate might be Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego and Buffalo... which all but Buffalo will probably build new stadiums before losing their teams. The Toronto Bills are the most probable... and we all know how warm of a welcome they get.

I think the London, England Bills are a better possibility... they actually sell out 90'000 seats when the NFL comes to town!

Last edited by Jay in Cowtown; Jan 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 4:52 PM

Watching those frigid games on TV yesterday.

I really cant see Toronto filling up outdoor stadiums and supporting teams in this kind of weather. Sure our most popular game is played on ice, but indoors.

Anyways, just an attempt by the Ford brothers to grab headlines while NFL season is at its peak.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 4:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
Toronto wouldn't get an NFL team without building or commit to building a new stadium, Rogers Centre is too small and dated for the NFL. LA's building a new one and will probably end up with the Jaguars. The only other teams that could possibly relocate might be St. Louis, San Diego and Buffalo... which all but Buffalo will probably build new stadiums before losing their teams. The Toronto Bills are the most probable... and we all know how warm of a welcome they get.

I think the London, England Bills are a better possibility... they actually sell out 90'000 seats when the NFL comes to town!
Mexico City has also done better that Toronto when the NFL comes to town (albeit with lower ticket prices), though I don't think an NFL club there is in the cards.

I think that what we will see is the NFL returning to Los Angeles and that will be about it for a while.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 4:56 PM

Despite all this talk of the NFL coming to town, I doubt it will happen. First, the barriers to entry are too great. The cost of buying an NFL has been estimated at a cost of $1B, add to that the cost of building a new stadium or significantly redeveloping Rogers Centre. The cost would be at least $2B and if anyone thinks that any level of government will provide any form of funding is nuts. I don't see any private investor willing to pony up $2B on bringing an NFL team to Toronto.

Second, there is the CFL and the Argonauts. Would the NFL be willing to risk harming the 2nd largest and most established professional gridiron league in the world that in some ways acts as a pseudo development league? The fact that the CFL exists also reinforces the NFL's position in the eyes of US antitrust regulators. Competition for players = competition in the market = not a monopoly. Having the CFL around benefits the NFL. The CFL has a long history and tradition in Toronto, NFL would likely hurt the Argonauts and Tiger-Cats and could potentially lead to the CFL's demise. Don't expect the Argonauts, CFL, and some in the government to roll over for the NFL, see proposal for Canadian Football Act 1974 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_Act) though the concept/context is somewhat dated. Like it or not, there is value in protecting a Canadian cultural tradition/institution for both Canadians and the NFL. Canadian football and the Argos deserve better.

Finally, although many claim there is enough interest in the NFL game in Toronto to bring a team there, there simply isn't. The NFL as a league is built on hype, though the Bills Series may provide a poor indication of how successful a 'local' team may be, the fact is that poor attendance and limited fan excitement will do nothing to help the appeal of bringing a team to Toronto. The NFL isn't looking for the type of quiet corporate environment Toronto will bring, let alone less than packed houses, and expensive tickets. They want to be able to market the hype: crazy screaming fans, sold out stadiums, tailgate parties, etc. Judging by the Bills Series and Leaf games, that's something Toronto can't and won't bring to the NFL. Toronto is supposedly hockey crazy and support for the Leafs is the highest out of all the teams in the NHL. If the Leafs can't muster up fanatical fan support in Toronto, what makes anyone think that the NFL can? The NFL wants nothing more than to be the biggest player in town, in Toronto, it would have to settle for being #2 behind hockey.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 7:56 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Toronto wouldn't get an NFL team without building or commit to building a new stadium, Rogers Centre is too small and dated for the NFL. LA's building a new one and will probably end up with the Jaguars. The only other teams that could possibly relocate might be Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego and Buffalo... which all but Buffalo will probably build new stadiums before losing their teams. The Toronto Bills are the most probable... and we all know how warm of a welcome they get.

This is the first I've heard of the Rams possibly moving. It's hard to think of that dome stadiium in StL. as very old but I suppose it's about 15 years now ?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:00 PM
Vancouverite

St. Louis got a new owner, the guy who owns the denver pro teams.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:05 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ Thanks.

Just thought of the Vikings as well - aren't they threatening to leave Minny once their lease is up at the Metrodome if a new building isn't in the works ?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
This is the first I've heard of the Rams possibly moving. It's hard to think of that dome stadiium in StL. as very old but I suppose it's about 15 years now ?
Yeah, I guess not... I thought I heard Spagnuolo wanted a new stadium or else, but I guess he settled for reno's.

The Vikings are threatening to leave Minny at the end of their stadium contract if they don't get a new stadium, and there is a design for one, but the city/state has built new baseball and college stadiums in the last 2 years. So plans for a new Vikings stadium are on hold for now, even though the dome deflation has brought up the issue again.

Apparently you can add Baltimore to a list of teams having financial difficulty, not stadium issues. The Toronto Ravens anyone?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Watching those frigid games on TV yesterday.

I really cant see Toronto filling up outdoor stadiums and supporting teams in this kind of weather. Sure our most popular game is played on ice, but indoors.

Anyways, just an attempt by the Ford brothers to grab headlines while NFL season is at its peak.
Torontonians are pussies is what you're saying

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 12:24 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovan
Finally, although many claim there is enough interest in the NFL game in Toronto to bring a team there, there simply isn't. The NFL as a league is built on hype, though the Bills Series may provide a poor indication of how successful a 'local' team may be, the fact is that poor attendance and limited fan excitement will do nothing to help the appeal of bringing a team to Toronto. The NFL isn't looking for the type of quiet corporate environment Toronto will bring, let alone less than packed houses, and expensive tickets. They want to be able to market the hype: crazy screaming fans, sold out stadiums, tailgate parties, etc. Judging by the Bills Series and Leaf games, that's something Toronto can't and won't bring to the NFL. Toronto is supposedly hockey crazy and support for the Leafs is the highest out of all the teams in the NHL. If the Leafs can't muster up fanatical fan support in Toronto, what makes anyone think that the NFL can? The NFL wants nothing more than to be the biggest player in town, in Toronto, it would have to settle for being #2 behind hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
How do you know it would be a success the Bills series had Jay Cutler, Peyton Manning and Mark Sanchez come to town, some of the biggest names in the NFL and they couldn't sell out! I know the Bills wouldn't draw much but the visiting teams should have. Also the tickets were priced more because Skydome seats much less than typical NFL stadiums. Look at the fan bases of the Raiders, Steelers, Giants ect.. and how loyal and fanatical they are and then look at Toronto sports fans other than the leafs it's a joke. They are so quiet, bland, fair weather that they simply don't deserve an NFL team.
I have to agree.

Tailgate culture just doesn't exist in Toronto; hence it isn't a very good football town.

I have a hard time imagining people in the Big Smoke getting drunk in their cars hours ahead of a game.

Now if any of Canada's prairie cities had Toronto's population I could see it, but not otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 12:58 AM

Yeah, I definitely think the lack of tailgate culture would hamper Toronto's attendance figures, and I think it's just as important to look at demographics of the GTA. All things being equal, I would wager that you could sell out a cricket match between two top global teams faster than you could sell out an NFL game in this city.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:02 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^ Thanks.

Just thought of the Vikings as well - aren't they threatening to leave Minny once their lease is up at the Metrodome if a new building isn't in the works ?
There was a rumour that the vikings would have left for LA (most likely just something for negotiations.

Quote:
Apparently you can add Baltimore to a list of teams having financial difficulty, not stadium issues. The Toronto Ravens anyone?
That would be funny, since the CFL was in Baltimore, and showed that the pro football could work in the city (hence the city getting NFL team)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Ya, big difference though. How often do people in England get to see an NFL game? People in Southern Ontario can just go to Buffalo or Detroit to watch games for dirt cheap. They dont have to spend big bucks to watch a game in TO where they don't care about either team.

You wanna know if Southern Ontario cares about the NFL? Look at the front page of the newspapers today and the day after the Super Bowl. Watch the sports news and see which games get mentioned first. Check the television ratings every weekend during football season and check to see how many people are watching the Super Bowl.

And remember, people are following this league when it doesn't even have a Canadian team in it. You can bet your sweet bippy they'll care even more if the NFL had a team in Toronto.

I work in Toronto and I know at least 100 people who follow the NFL, but know only 2 that follow the CFL.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
You wanna know if Southern Ontario cares about the NFL? Look at the front page of the newspapers today and the day after the Super Bowl. Watch the sports news and see which games get mentioned first. Check the television ratings every weekend during football season and check to see how many people are watching the Super Bowl.
You're right, front page Superbowl champions is exclusively a Toronto thing...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 2:48 AM
Dont let the name fool u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I work in Toronto and I know at least 100 people who follow the NFL, but know only 2 that follow the CFL.
That doesn't mean there's not any CFL fans either. People tend to bond with people with common interests. It doesn't surprise me that an NFL fan first and foremost would be friends with other NFL fans. Just like the opposite would be true.

This is a pretty good article, mind you it's quite old.
http://www.thestar.com/article/153951

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Torontonians are pussies is what you're saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I have to agree.

Tailgate culture just doesn't exist in Toronto; hence it isn't a very good football town.

I have a hard time imagining people in the Big Smoke getting drunk in their cars hours ahead of a game.

Now if any of Canada's prairie cities had Toronto's population I could see it, but not otherwise.
Holy Toronto-bashing thread Batman!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:55 AM

It's super easy to FOLLOW the NFL because that is free but ya gotta put your money where your mouth is and not enough Torontonians buy football tickets for CFL or NFL. Toronto with such a huge immigrant population has no roots to pro football but it does to soccer and cricket!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:57 AM
surely you agree with me

i thought the thread title was 'NHL Coming to Toronto'....i thought wow...that will be great to finally have NHL calibre hockey in Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto