HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:58 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
This is the exact day I was born:

That is a awesome photo of state street back in the day. I was only about 3 or 4 when this happen.

4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jan 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 9:36 PM
Lurking in a wigwam

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

What is that building at the U. by the way?
It looks like it belongs in Sarajevo.

Lol good call. I spent way too many hours in that building. It's the Psych tower, and below it is the Social Work building (lending to many jokes about the superiority of psych over sw...okay, just one joke.)

I used to be able to go outside on the roof up there. It's one of the highest points I've ever been to in the Valley. Quite impressive views.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahboozer View Post
Oh god this picture brings back memories (copied from above post):

I was in my freshman year at the U when the Olympics rolled through. We got out Spring Break in January that year...

I still have some of the fabric that lined the fences in this photo!
I like to call it the "The Tower of Terror"

Does anyone know if they had these huge picture banners on any of the southern downtown buildings, like Wells Fargo, Utah One, etc...? I have a big poster of the skyline on my wall, but they never showed the southern side of downtown, so im guessing they didnt have any pictures on the buildings?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
I like to call it the "The Tower of Terror"

Does anyone know if they had these huge picture banners on any of the southern downtown buildings, like Wells Fargo, Utah One, etc...? I have a big poster of the skyline on my wall, but they never showed the southern side of downtown, so im guessing they didnt have any pictures on the buildings?
there was one on the us bank building, but i think that was as far south as they went.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 1:13 AM
BANNED

There was also a banner of ethnically diverse hands holding an olympic torch on the south side of the Hilton.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 2:11 AM

I apologize for the poor quality of this picture; it is a scanned image of a newspaper clipping that I've had for some time. It is an aerial shot of the north end of downtown, shot sometime in the 1950's if I'm not mistaken. This is another one which highlights the losses over the years in the name of urban renewal. Most of the buildings in this picture were razed long ago for the first Salt Palace convention center and arena, Crossroads Mall, and the ZCMI Center, which have all been razed now in turn.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 2:30 AM
Wen Lambo

is that a mid block road between S. Temple & 100 S and W. Temple & Main?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 4:55 AM

That's gotta be! That freaked me out when I was staring at it. All I kept thinking was, "That's not possible! Downtown blocks are SQUARES!"

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 5:05 AM

That is Richards Street that is running north/south.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 5:09 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post

is that a mid block road between S. Temple & 100 S and W. Temple & Main?
Yes. In one of the first photos I posted, you can see it:

The Beneficial Life building anchored one end.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonkey View Post
I apologize for the poor quality of this picture; it is a scanned image of a newspaper clipping that I've had for some time. It is an aerial shot of the north end of downtown, shot sometime in the 1950's if I'm not mistaken. This is another one which highlights the losses over the years in the name of urban renewal. Most of the buildings in this picture were razed long ago for the first Salt Palace convention center and arena, Crossroads Mall, and the ZCMI Center, which have all been razed now in turn.

Jmonkey that shot is INSANE! Thanks for adding it. I've seen that building (labeled with a '2' in the cliping) in some other posts on the classic SLC thead. Obviously Eagle Gate Tower is there now. Does anyone know what that building was? There were so many cool buildings just East of the Temple, wan't it a campus of some sort? Man I wish they were still there and the COB had been built just across the street. Nothing would be cooler than a university right downtown.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 7:26 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
Jmonkey that shot is INSANE! Thanks for adding it. I've seen that building (labeled with a '2' in the cliping) in some other posts on the classic SLC thead. Obviously Eagle Gate Tower is there now. Does anyone know what that building was? There were so many cool buildings just East of the Temple, wan't it a campus of some sort? Man I wish they were still there and the COB had been built just across the street. Nothing would be cooler than a university right downtown.
It was a Federal Reserves Bank building, which was built in 1926.

The building replaced the Gardo House, which was the official home of the LDS Presidents from 1880 to 1898, I believe.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 2:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahboozer View Post
I spent way too many hours in that building. It's the Psych tower, and below it is the Social Work building (lending to many jokes about the superiority of psych over sw...okay, just one joke.)
I'm not even a psych major and going into my third semester at the U I've already had 5 classes in that blasted Social/Behavioral Auditorium.

Man, I really wished I wasn't in 7th grade when the Olympics were here. While I was old enough to know how big of a deal it was, I really didn't appreciate it for what it was worth. Granted, I only went to Olympic Village once and the whole time I was hoping I'd see Howie Mandel. I saw him on Leno the night before posing as a security guard and making people look like idiots at the Village; when you grow up watching "Bobby's World" Howie Mandell is a big thing.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 1:41 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

It never ceases to infuriate me.
WHY IN HELL DID THEY DEMOLISH THE GARDO HOUSE?!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 1:42 AM

OH by the way I was wondering if anybody knows if the Temple underwent some sort of external restoration.

In some of the older pics it looks like it's a dirty dark grey.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 1:57 AM
Wen Lambo

Yeah, the temple had an exterior cleaning in the early-mid 90's if Im not mistaken.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
I know they did not have one on the Wells Fargo Center (which was also the Salt Lake Olympic Committee headquarters) because Bank of America, a sponsor of the 2002 Olympics, didn't want one on there because it had a large sign with the name of a competitor on it. If you look at the pictures, you will see the words "Key Bank" were removed from the Key Bank building during the Olympics just so they could have one of the banners on their building but Wells Fargo didn't want to do that.

Last edited by skyguy414; Jan 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 2:08 AM

Here are some of my pictures I took. Most were taken a couple weeks before the Olympics.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 8:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
It was a Federal Reserves Bank building, which was built in 1926.

The building replaced the Gardo House, which was the official home of the LDS Presidents from 1880 to 1898, I believe.

I could be wrong, but as I understood it, the tall building was a residential tower, and the Federal Reserves bank is the building on the corner, which replaced the Gardo house. Which is why I thought it odd that the proposed residential tower between Eagle Gate and Zion's Bank towers, was shortened and it's use was changed from residential to office. I think the first proposal was more historically accurate.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 1:59 AM

Are there blueprints in archive for the Gardo House somewhere? If there are they should rebuild it, if not downtown then at This Is The Place Heritage Park.

It would be so sweet to have it back, It was such a gorgeous mansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West