HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:21 PM

Relocating

I am currently looking for a job in Atlanta and trying to figure out the best way to search for rentals in specific areas. I am interested in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment or house for rent. I prefer to be within walking distance the Marta train. I would like to live, if possible, in midtown or downtown Decatur. When I do searches on Craig's list for houses for rent they are all on the south or west side. Maybe my price range is too low ($1000-$1200). I have also tried apartments.com and rentlist.net. Does anyone have any good websites I could try that will allow me to focus in on my area of choice? Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:26 PM

$1000-1200 for a 2-3 bedroom in Midtown is pretty difficult to come by, especially in some of the nicer areas. In Decatur, that might work though, especially just outside the downtown Decatur core.

Where are you going to work?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:28 PM
arf

^I'm not sure, but when my wife and I relocated to St. Louis we managed to find an agency that would help you find an apartment (for free.) They'd look up and make appointments in areas of your choice after getting some parameters from you. It was a free service for renters since they would take a finder fee from the apartments themselves. The drawback was they would tend to only focus on the bigger highrise options instead of options like the second floor of a house. Most times I have found it is way easier actually being there and driving around the neighborhoods writing numbers down.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
$1000-1200 for a 2-3 bedroom in Midtown is pretty difficult to come by, especially in some of the nicer areas. In Decatur, that might work though, especially just outside the downtown Decatur core.

Where are you going to work?
I wish I knew where I was going to work. I am applying for planning jobs all over the city, but nothing yet.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:22 PM

If you go to realtor.com and click the rentals link you'll be able to search by price, number of bedrooms, city, zip code, etc... Hope that helps.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:20 AM

Check Craigslist too. You can also filter by price/# of bedrooms. Good luck!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLove View Post
I wish I knew where I was going to work. I am applying for planning jobs all over the city, but nothing yet.
May I inquire as to where you've been looking to work? I happen to work with a few city planners in an urban design studio, maybe I could give you the names of a couple more places to check out...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
May I inquire as to where you've been looking to work? I happen to work with a few city planners in an urban design studio, maybe I could give you the names of a couple more places to check out...
I check the individual websites for every incorporated city in the Atlanta area. I check individual websites for all counties in the Atlanta area. I check individual websites for private consulting firms (Urban Collage, CH2Mhill, PBS&J, EDAW, etc). I check regional planning organizations (Atlanta Regional Commission, Atlanta Development Authority, Georgia Department of Community Affairs, The Beltline, etc.). I check search engines like the Georgia APA website and glga.org. I feel that I have done very extensive and exhaustive searches.

I have had very little success and I am beginning to feel like I'm not getting anywhere because I am an outsider. What I mean by this is that with plenty of students coming out of Georgia Tech with planning degrees and local connections, it is very difficult for someone like me with a Masters Degree in Planning from the University of Iowa to break in. I did my internship last summer at a small nonprofit community center in Clarkston, GA and fell in love with the area. I really don't want to be in any other metropolitan area. I know if I get my foot in the door, I will do well and have plenty of opportunities. It’s a bit frustrating, but I'm keeping the faith.

Any and all leads or connections you can give me would be more than appreciated. I'm staying optimistic because I really believe Atlanta is the place for my family and me.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
Any Luck?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:35 AM

Unfortunately.. No. There was an outside chance my firm was hiring but it seems as though the position has just been filled (as of this week).. I have a friend (with about 6 years experience) that is also looking for a job in the planning field and he seems to be having just as much trouble finding a job. It seems that with the city, in the financial mess that they're in, can't afford to add employees at this time.. I would suggest, if you haven't already, going ahead and applying to EDAW and Urban Collage. Just because they aren't advertising positions doesn't mean they wont pick up a good employee if one happens to apply, ya know?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta