HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 2:46 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

How... CONVENIENT.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 2:41 PM
Chairman

What is in its place?

-sb

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 3:01 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post

What is in its place?
This!

Isn't it a just a jewel in the city's crown!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:04 PM
Wen Lambo

Why can't they build the new federal courthouse on that lot?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:21 PM
Always running Late

What a waste... but you know.. Many cities out west experienced this kind of bulldozing of timeless gems in the same time period.
I wish we had a time machine so we could go back and slap those shitheads around a bit when they decided to do what they did.

Case in Point.. it's hilarious to me that Boise Idaho had an extensive street trolley system, In fact one of the earliest of such in the nation.. it was removed, paved over.. and now the city is trying to come up with the millions of dollars it will take to reinstate a similar trolley system... that is a fraction of the size and scope that once existed...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:33 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Yes many cities did the same thing. Salt Lake had miles upon miles of Trolley tracks and are also looking to bring trolleys back. Cleveland Ohio city neighborhoods and first ring suburbs were built around a trolley transportation system and of course they too were removed. Sadly for Cleveland is that they don't have the population growth that SLC and Boise have to once again pursue trolley systems.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:46 PM
Chairman

In some instances, proposals were on the boards prior to demolition of the respective structure(s), but were put on hold due to various factors during or after demolition, hence a parking lot instead.

I did read somewhere that Hotel Newhouse had structural issues (most likely by neglect) but who knows. If that were the case, then pedestrian safety would have to be considered not compromised.

On the side of the dicussion, it is quite sad to see such a wonderful structure come down to be replaced by a parking lot.

What has happened has happened. Be pro-active and find ways for a suitable and economically viable replacement for this lot and the neighboring lots.

This leads to my next question, is /are there any firm proposal(s) for this lot?

-sb

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:46 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

Yes many cities did the same thing. Salt Lake had miles upon miles of Trolley tracks and are also looking to bring trolleys back. Cleveland Ohio city neighborhoods and first ring suburbs were built around a trolley transportation system and of course they too were removed. Sadly for Cleveland is that they don't have the population growth that SLC and Boise have to once again pursue trolley systems.
its just not trolley systems though.. its historical landmarks, and cultural urban foundations..
Imagine the amount of density that would exist in both boise and salt lake if all of the unigue 4-10 story early 20th century buildings were still around? Instead they were bulldozed to make way for modern highrises that never came at the pace predicted.. and now vacant lots and fast food drive thru's stand in their place.. When they could have been restored and renovated uses for urban living... We wouldn't have to sit here and try to get people to live in the city or have to market it to the suburban culture.. because it would already be existing. and it would have happened in an organic way over a long historical period...
It really is sad isn't it?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 6:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
This!

Isn't it a just a jewel in the city's crown!

The city needs to just take one of those corners and build a 4-story (or more) parking garage and use the other 3 for some development good.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 6:22 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Truly a lost to our city. Stupid Earl Holding.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 8:31 PM

On the positive side, it's a perfect opportunity to create a development from the ground up with mid block streets so it can be walkable... just so long as someone besides the Holdings develops it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 8:58 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I talked to somebody just recently that lives near Earl Holding's son, and they said they he was a really good guy. I'm hoping that he has learned from his father how to not be a total A Hole, and that once he is in charge maybe he will do something that not only benefits the company but also the city and it's walkability. I still really like UrbanBoys renderings of that block 1/3 of a block to the east.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 9:38 PM
They all float down here

Has his father died yet? Maybe when the old man croaks things will change.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 9:46 PM
Chairman

So the answer to my question is no proposals for these lots. Correct?

-sb

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 9:56 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
So the answer to my question is no proposals for these lots. Correct?
Correct, there are no proposals for this block. Earl Holding the owner of Sinclair Oil owns the entire block, actually he owns all of these blocks, (except for a tiny corner on State and 5th S, owned by Flower Patch) As of right now he has no intention of developing them. The two middle blocks are home to Little (left) and Grand (right) America Hotels, Grand is a very nice hotel and the tower at Little is also very nice. The remainder of the Little America block is two level motel style dwellings with underground parking. That is one thing he did do right is that all of Grands parking is underground and the majority of Little is also.

He might possibly be the fourth largest land owner in the city, besides the city, county and LDS church. The above area is larger than the mass of Gateway.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Feb 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 10:20 PM
Chairman

My next question was going to be where is this located in reference to other developments. You must have read my mind. Thank you again Mr. Mayor for the information.

This massive area has major potential that can be of positive implications to the SLC economy. I hope whatever gets developed will have a positive impact in terms of tax dollars and critical mass.

I can already think of some ideas.

Just an observation... I have noticed many cities out West that have parking lots as part of their urban fabric. Especially in their respective downtowns.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 10:45 PM

Wow, I had no idea Holdings ownings were that expansive. I knew the Little and Grand America were his, and the horrible block of parking we all loathe, but I didn't realize he owned all that stuff to the South.
I hope to someday see more residential developments in this area once Earl has deprived us all of his company.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 8:21 AM
BANNED

I'm pretty sure the parking lot on the Courthouse Block is not owned by Earl Holding.

Here is a map of Salt Lake City's lost street car system:

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 6:46 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
I'm pretty sure the parking lot on the Courthouse Block is not owned by Earl Holding.
All the parcel indicated on my map are listed as either owned by Little America or Sinclair Oil on the county assessor site. So yes that parking lot is owned by Holding.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 7:04 PM

That's what I thought Future Mayor. Wasn't there going to be an office tower on that corner when the development of Grand America was first announced?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West