HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 5:34 PM
Midtown Montgomery

I got you something, but no diagrams, standby.

http://www.dot.state.al.us/NR/rdonly...4833/0/NSR.mpg
3-D animation of the outerloop.

This looks to be some sort of interchange that will be located on the loop.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 5:39 PM

That rendering is of the Outer Loop/US-231 Interchange.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 5:46 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Ok I found the bits and pieces of the development plan from ALDOT. If anyone can diagnose this info into a diagram of exactly where the loop will run, I'd greatly appreciate it.

MONTGOMERY MGM OUTER LOOP - CR-85 (CARTERS HILL RD) TO SR-110

MGM OUTER LOOP FR SOUTH OF I-85 THRU I-85 INTERCHANGE: CLEARING & GRUBBING, UTILITY RELOC. (E. MONTGOMERY & MONTGOMERY WATERWORKS BOARD, WATER & SEWER, EROSION CONTROL & TEMP GRASSING)

SR-108 (MGM OUTER LOOP) FROM SR-8 (US-80) TO WEST OF CR-103 (FELDER ROAD),INCLUDES INTERCHANGE @ US-80

SR-108 (MGM OUTER LOOP) FROM I-65 TO WEST OF SR-9 (US-331), INCLUDES INTERCHANGE @ SR-3 (US-31)

SR-108 (MGM OUTER LOOP) FROM WEST OF SR-9 (US-331) TO WEST OF CR-39 (WOODLEY RD.), INCLUDES INTERCHANGE @ US-331

SOME GOOD INFORMATION below.....
MONTGOMERY ADD LANES ON I-85 FROM 1.5 MILES EAST OF SR-271 TO OUTERLOOP INTERCHANGE

Does this mean the outerloop could span from the downtown I-65/I-85 interchange all the way past Taylor Rd.?

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 5:48 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Heights
That rendering is of the Outer Loop/US-231 Interchange.
How can you tell?

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:01 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Time to get the ball rolling.....

$16 MILLION IN TRANSPORTATION FUNDING SECURED BY CONGRESSMAN TERRY EVERETT FOR SOUTHEAST ALABAMA PASSES U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Funding Included for Montgomery's Outer Loop and Riverwalk, Dothan's I-10 Connector, US 331, US 84, US 431, and Highway 167

The House-passed $275 billion Transportation Equity Act includes $16 million secured by Congressman Terry Everett for seven Southeast Alabama road and infrastructure improvement projects.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed the six-year Federal highway spending bill by 357 to 65 vote.

"As Southeast Alabama seeks new jobs and industry, transportation infrastructure must be improved to provide safer and more efficient travel," Everett observed. "I'm pleased to have secured $16 million in critical project spending included in the new transportation bill, approved by full House today.

"This legislation continues the Federal commitment to the vital Montgomery Outer Loop and Dothan I-10 projects which are central to the future economic development of the Second District's two largest cities.

"I am also happy to have secured funding for the development of the Montgomery riverfront, as well as the widening of US 331 between Montgomery and Luverne. The Riverwalk project represents the cornerstone of the downtown revitalization, while the US 331 expansion is essential to meet the traffic demands presented by the new Hyundai plant and its suppliers.

"I have also included funding for a US 431 by-pass in Eufaula to ease downtown congestion, as well as funding for additional laning of US 84 from Andalusia to Enterprise, and the heavily traveled Alabama highway 167 from Troy to Enterprise."

Second District Transportation Funding in House Transportation Bill:

--Montgomery Outer Loop - $3 million

--Montgomery Riverwalk - $3 million

--Dothan I-10 Connector - $5 million

--US 331 Additional Lanes - $2 million

--US 431 Eufaula By-Pass - $1 million

--US 84 Additional Lanes - $1 million

--AL Highway 167 Additional Lanes - $1 million

The just-passed highway bill now goes to conference with the U.S. Senate where differences in the two bills are reconciled before a final vote in Congress and the President's signature.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:04 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1
To me, sprawl just means a strain on a city's infrastructure. Unfortunately, much of a city's tax revenue comes from its sprawling areas moreso than from its urban core (sales tax from shopping centers and property tax from high value real estate).

And until peoples' mindset begins to change, sprawl has become sort of a necessary evil for tax revenue. But when it's so out of control, the tax revenue that's generated by it gets eaten up just to try to provide infrastructure for the sprawl itself. So, back to square one...
I agree.

Montgomery is getting too big for itself, as far as people/area. We're not getting sustainable developments right now. As long as developers keep aiming for 'whiter' areas further east, we're going to be over stretched, and we're going to have urban decay along the inner rings (i.e. Southern Bypass).

Look at the Montgomery Mall. Look at the Circuit City/BB&B shopping center... that one was in decline from day one. And the decline is starting to creep east towards Vaughn rd... All because some people wanted to build further out. Had East Chase been located in the undeveloped area north of I-85 between Perry Hill Rd. and the Bypass, it would have been closer to the core, and been able to survive for many years to come.

Montgomery is spread too thin right now. We've had condo developments downtown die on the vine because demand is thin for the few existing units that are there... and there are large areas of downtown in desperate need of that kind of inflow.

We need to focus on sustainable growth, like the Midtown Wal-mart and Zelda Rd area, and developments downtown.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:04 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Wow.... let's sit back and look at this for a second. EVERY single road-way leading into the city of Montgomery is being improved or is in proposal to be improved.

[1]US-231 bride construction is almost complete.
[2]I-65 from the north is being renovated with wider lanes and a newly constructed river bridge that overlooks downtown Montgomery.
[3]Renovations and proposals continue to pour in for I-65 from the south [Hyundai BLVD to downtown].
[4]US-331 has proposals.
[5]Most important - the Outer Loop!

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:07 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio
I agree.

Montgomery is getting too big for itself, as far as people/area. We're not getting sustainable developments right now. As long as developers keep aiming for 'whiter' areas further east, we're going to be over stretched, and we're going to have urban decay along the inner rings (i.e. Southern Bypass).

Look at the Montgomery Mall. Look at the Circuit City/BB&B shopping center... that one was in decline from day one. And the decline is starting to creep east towards Vaughn rd... All because some people wanted to build further out. Had East Chase been located in the undeveloped area north of I-85 between Perry Hill Rd. and the Bypass, it would have been closer to the core, and been able to survive for many years to come.

Montgomery is spread too thin right now. We've had condo developments downtown die on the vine because demand is thin for the few existing units that are there... and there are large areas of downtown in desperate need of that kind of inflow.

We need to focus on sustainable growth, like the Midtown Wal-mart and Zelda Rd area, and developments downtown.
I can't wait to see the growth and development down on Ann St. Keep in mind it's growing in the direction of Carter Hill Rd. as well. Zelda Rd. is nearly completely developed. The new "cornerstone" development at the corner of Carter/Zelda is big as well. That's all that area really needs right now.... the "neighborhood" clean-up and revitalization will come IMO. Any word on the development coming up Ann St. to the ATL HWY/Madison intersection?

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:08 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz
Wow.... let's sit back and look at this for a second. EVERY single road-way leading into the city of Montgomery is being improved or is in proposal to be improved.

[1]US-231 bride construction is almost complete.
[2]I-65 from the north is being renovated with wider lanes and a newly constructed river bridge that overlooks downtown Montgomery.
[3]Renovations and proposals continue to pour in for I-65 from the south [Hyundai BLVD to downtown].
[4]US-331 has proposals.
[5]Most important - the Outer Loop!
More important = adding lanes where the Bypass goes over I-85, and improving traffic flow on Ann and Zelda AND make that area walkable.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:12 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz
I can't wait to see the growth and development down on Ann St. Keep in mind it's growing in the direction of Carter Hill Rd. as well. Zelda Rd. is nearly completely developed. The new "cornerstone" development at the corner of Carter/Zelda is big as well. That's all that area really needs right now.... the "neighborhood" clean-up and revitalization will come IMO. Any word on the development coming up Ann St. to the ATL HWY/Madison intersection?
I've 'heard' that they are going to turn Ann through where those apartments used to be and make it a straight shot to Dickenson/Federal. That would help that area alot, although it's not near as bad as the Charlie Foxtrot at Ann and Zelda

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:12 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
More important = adding lanes where the Bypass goes over I-85, and improving traffic flow on Ann and Zelda AND make that area walkable.
Wow I was unaware of the E. Bypass needing that... I guess now that I think about it, getting off at that exit @ 5pm here in the city is CRAZY. That intersection at 5pm reminds you that we live in a large city. Will Ann St. in the heart of the Mid-Town development be 4-lane with turning lanes?

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:13 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
I've 'heard' that they are going to turn Ann through where those apartments used to be and make it a straight shot to Dickenson/Federal. That would help that area alot, although it's not near as bad as the Charlie Foxtrot at Ann and Zelda
Funny thing you mentioned that.... when I was looking over the ALDOT proposals I remember seeing "Align Ann St. with Federal Dr." .... that would be GREAT!

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:16 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Check out this I-85 exit guide.
http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/alexits/i85al-exits.htm
Look down near the "Mitylene Exit", it says "Proposed exit 13 - Outer Loop". Will all the information present in this thread can anyone begin to guess exactly where the loop will start and end?

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:26 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Long article on the Outer Loop. From this reading I can estimate that the loop will start somewhere with an I-65 interchange in southwest Montgomery and continue to move across the city north of I-85.

Outer loop plan driven by lawmaker

By Dan E. Way
Montgomery Advertiser

Frustrated by more than a decade of insignificant activity on Montgomery's so-called "outer loop," state Rep. Thad McClammy believes it is time for a radical rethinking of how to approach building the interstate-quality highway around the city.
He has introduced legislation to make the loop a limited-access toll road, and the bill would allow residents to vote on the matter as a constitutional amendment. Most of the outer-loop corridor is in the Montgomery Democrat's district.

As envisioned, the semicircle, pay-as-you-go highway would be 15 to 18 miles long, stretching from U.S. 80 in southwest Montgomery to Interstate 85 on the east side, roughly the same path as the existing outer-loop plan.

A nine-member authority would be appointed by the governor, lieutenant governor, speaker of the House, Montgomery City Council, Montgomery County Commission and members of the Montgomery legislative delegation to five-year terms.

The authority would sell bonds to build the road and determine the usage fee on those costs. Fees likely would be levied by the number of axles on a vehicle, McClammy said.

"I'm proposing to let the people vote on it, and if they don't vote for it, then they can just be quiet about the outer loop," McClammysaid.

"Most of them feel that unless a different approach is made, they'll still be talking about the outer loop 15 or 20 years from now," he said. "There's more conversation than asphalt."

The Federal Highway Administration's Joe D. Wilkerson agrees.

"It would be possible to develop that as a toll road," said Wilkerson, Alabama Division administrator for the agency. "It may well be that other sources of funding will have to be found if we're going to complete some of these roads. Otherwise, we're going to have to have a substantial increase in motor fuel taxes."

In fact, McClammy's bill includes language to raise Montgomery County taxes to a level equal to the city's rates, using the increase to help fund the toll road.

"I'm not going to be in favor of any gasoline taxes," said state Rep. Alvin Holmes, D-Montgomery, who opposed a 5-cent state gasoline tax increase last year. "As a matter of fact, I'm introducing a bill next week to take the 5 cents off the gallon of gasoline. Gas is so high right now people can hardly drive their car."

Holmes, who otherwise voiced no qualms with the concept of a toll road, said McClammy's bill has been referred to the Montgomery legislative delegation for review. As chairman of that group, he will preside over a public hearing on the measure at 2 p.m. Monday in Room 619 at the Alabama State House.

Montgomery city and county officials also have concerns about a toll road authority with taxing powers.

"The problem I had with the original bill was the funding mechanism," said Todd Strange, County Commission chairman. "It says something about equalization of taxes."

Strange said he has received assurances from McClammy that the clause will be removed.

"I support all efforts to try to get the outer loop started," and if it requires a toll road to make that happen, Strange said, he would support it.

"We've spent almost $50 million in the federal, state and county governments in the last 15 years and we still don't see any asphalt," the county commissioner said, adding that another $300 million would be needed to get the job done.

Strange also wonders whether the toll road authority in McClammy's legislation is necessary since there is a state toll road authority.

"We don't want to be in conflict with the state toll road authority by creating another authority," he said. "Somehow we've got to figure out how those work in concert."

Working in concert is something Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright said has not occurred on this bill.

"I'm totally against it at this point in time," Bright said, because McClammy did not brief him or otherwise pursue collaborative efforts on the bill.

"To me, that's inappropriate to introduce legislation to potentially affect citizens and municipalities without discussing it with them," Bright said. "Since he didn't do that, I have to assume it will be bad for the city."

Among the sticking points in the bill cited by Bright were the taxing mechanisms and the appointment process.

"The taxing authority is over and beyond the city's and county's," he said. "That seriously bothers me." He views the toll road authority as "another level of bureaucracy" that "could take away authority elected officials -- city and county -- would have in developing the outer loop."

Bright also said the legislation deprives him of any appointive powers to the authority.

"It needs to have a representative speaking from the management level of the executive branch of city government," he said. Without that power, "that's watering down the county and city, any authority they may have on the outer loop, and giving it to the governor and the lieutenant governor and the speaker."

Montgomery residents also are torn in their opinions about developing the highway as a toll road, which spawned a friendly family feud outside a shopping center on the south side of the city.

"I think it's a good idea," said Jamie Broadway, whose family owns 47 acres of land in Hope Hull. "It would make our property value go up."

"It's going to be a nuisance," replied his mother, Susan Broadway. "Think about how many times you would have to pay to go to work."

In the end, Broadway's son conceded that his mother, with some cell-phone input from her mother-in-law, Shirley Broadway, had the more salient arguments in the debate.

"The government is building roads for everyone else. Why can't they do it for us?" Susan Broadway asked. "West Montgomery needs to be treated equally as east Montgomery. We shouldn't have to pay to get where we need to go. ... They made roads accessible for Hyundai; now they need to make it accessible for neighbors."

Chris Russell of Montgomery said a toll road might be attractive for out-of-town traffic looking to skirt the city as quickly as it can to reach a destination.

"I don't think it will work in the city limits" to draw local traffic off the crowded bypass, Russell said.

"I don't think we need a toll road," said Joe Frederick of Montgomery. "I wouldn't use it. I'd go around it. We pay enough taxes now."

But costs could escalate much more if movement doesn't speed up on the project, the Federal Highway Administration's Wilkerson said.

There is an approved location for the outer loop that was drawn following an environmental impact study, he said.

"But unless the public officials buy the property, that doesn't keep the people from developing subdivisions or other businesses along that alignment," Wilkerson said. "Unless some effort is made to buy land, the development will curve all the way across the line and property costs will get too high" to make the project feasible along that alignment.

That is among the reasons Paul Hankins, a municipal consultant to the city and the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce, is involved in efforts to move the schedule up for building the outer loop. Those include a trip to Washington two weeks ago to lobby the Alabama congressional delegation and a meeting with Gov. Bob Riley in the past week.

"We ought to remain open minded about any possibilities for finding a solution for the outer loop," Hankins said, even if the final recourse is a toll road. "The governor was very receptive to our message, which is we need to see if there is a way to move Montgomery's outer loop up on the priority schedule for the state."

"If we're going to open up the western Black Belt portion of the state, the only way is to ... generate growth out of a central economic entity," and that would be Montgomery, Hankins said. "The governor was very much interested in that."

McClammy says, "Personally, I think folks are ready to get the outer loop done. When Hyundai opens and all those suppliers' trucks that we're not seeing yet ... and all the employees' cars come through, it's going to be a nightmare" on existing city and county streets and roads. "Until we see a road, we can't afford to keep sitting back."

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 1:16 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Nice detailed article about Bronner & the convention/hotel project.

April 2006 Construction Focus

Creating a New Atmosphere in the State’s Capital

Southern hospitality, with its relaxed feel, is one of the elements architect Goodwyn Mills and Cawood Inc. is trying to bring out in the new Montgomery convention center and hotel.

By Lori Chandler Pruitt

A new convention center and hotel under construction in Montgomery is taking its inspiration from the Plaza Hotel in New York City, along with a healthy dose of "front porch" Southern hospitality.

"Dr. (David) Bronner had an opinion of how the hotel should present itself in the Montgomery skyline and the guest experience, as well," says Bill Wallace, executive vice president of the architecture division of Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood Inc., the project's architect. "It had to be reflective of the redevelopment of downtown Montgomery, with symbolic but fresh interpretation. This design ensures there will be a new 'front porch' for the city."

The project includes a 346-room upscale hotel that will connect to the new convention center. It is close to the baseball stadium and the river amphitheater and 15 minutes from the Montgomery Regional Airport. And, of course, the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail is not far away. The entire project is to be completed by September 2007.

The hotel's foyer features a two-story glass sculpture, with beautiful, rich colors for the interior using the color palate from Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald's paintings. There also are plenty of Southern architectural details in the veranda, the wrap-around porch that greets guests into the upscale, 140-guest restaurant and lobby bar.

The Cigar Lounge will have plush, upholstered seating and rich wood paneling, and is expected to be an inviting place for the capital city's large political community. The outdoor terrace will accommodate 50 to 60 people.

"It's near the water, and the old historic train station," Wallace says. "The hotel fronts a parking lot that will be a park, and its entrance will face more towards the river. There are just a lot of design elements that go into this."

The hotel will have 12 stories, with guest rooms starting at the second level. Luxury guest rooms will have 300-plus count linens, 9-foot ceilings and separate showers and tubs. King and double queen rooms will be available, and there are three luxury suites. There is a full-service business center on the first level.

The eight-story parking deck will have 660 parking spaces. On top of the deck, there will be an 8,000-square-foot European style spa, fitness center, signature pool with zero entry and fountains surrounded by a large deck for entertaining, a salon, a small cafŽ and a large running track around the perimeter of the deck.

Transforming Montgomery's Character
The convention center will have more than 103,000 square feet of exhibit and flexible meeting space. There will be a 14,000-square-foot ballroom on the main level that can be divided into five sections. Additional meeting space on the second level will feature windows, balconies and secluded lounge areas. A performing arts theatre, designed to accommodate traveling Broadway shows and other quality entertainment options, will have seating for 1,800.

Since this project is part of the transformation of Montgomery's downtown, yet is to retain the city's essential character, Wallace says there are plenty of challenges. "The sheer scale of this project with all its different components, trying to weave all of it together and to reflect the character of the existing context of downtown Montgomery is challenging," he says. "We're also transforming the area around it to relate to a pedestrian scale."

Other than making it fit well with the city's personality, there are plenty of other challenges, too, Wallace says. The design had to be such that every part of the project fit well together and was practical for those who would work there and use the facility.

"Whenever you are trying to put together several components, such as service areas, displays, where people will work and have access, public areas and the like, you have to have a building that functions well for all of those different uses," he says. "The important thing is that we all are working as a team to put this package together."

Lori Chandler Pruitt is a freelance writer and regular contributor to Business Alabama.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 1:19 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Article about downtown residential growth.

Residents needed to grow downtown

Mar. 12, 2006 (Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News delivered by Newstex) --
While the economic revitalization of downtown has been a popular concept of late, Anita Archie of the Montgomery Riverfront Development Foundation is looking for ways to draw in residents.

Archie is upbeat about the possibility of boosting the arts in downtown Montgomery with galleries and studios, along with living spaces such as apartments and condominiums.

"The foundation strongly believes that to make downtown Montgomery a 24-hour destination, then we've got to get the residential piece going in downtown," she said.

In a meeting Tuesday with the Cottage Hill Historic Foundation, Archie said developers have told her she'll have to have people living downtown before she can expect retail growth.

She has invited ArtSpace, a nonprofit real estate development firm from Minnesota, to visit Montgomery in April to discuss changing the face of downtown.

During the Cottage Hill meeting, Earl Freeman said while living in Memphis, he noticed that retail growth developed in downtown first.

"I lived downtown in Memphis before people started moving downtown," he said. "Anybody knows that in downtown Memphis today you can't move down there because it's so expensive. ... If you wait until people are (living) downtown, you might be waiting for something that gives you no reason to stay downtown."

Louisville, Ky., a city of about 256,000 people, built the 21C Historic Hotel and Museum to boost its downtown rebirth. It is set to open Wednesday.

Wendy Holmes, vice-president of resource development at ArtSpace, was quoted recently in the Wall Street Journal as saying that the hotel could be very successful as a tourist attraction, but cities that attract permanent residents downtown are more successful for the long term.

Teri Deaver, director of consulting and new projects at ArtSpace, said early support from the community and its leaders is key to a downtown project.

"We're looking at things like potential sites for a project," she said. "We're looking at what the artist market is like. Maybe arts organizations and finding out what they need and what their interest is in this kind of project."

Deaver said ArtSpace has worked in communities of all sizes. She said one of the organization's earliest projects in Duluth, Minn., has been a huge success.

"It was an artist/live/work project and there was also a partnership with the city there, and they run a community center out of there and a number of social service organizations," she said.

Deaver said she views artistic communities as catalysts for economic growth.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 1:25 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Development Dreams

Between old stalwarts like Maxwell and Gunter, and new stars on the horizon like Hyundai and its suppliers, and with a renewal taking place in downtown Montgomery, the area is poised to make economic news for years to come. Wang says, “This is probably the first time in the history of Montgomery that we’ve got development in the whole city. We’ve always had spot development, either on the east side or the north or whatever, but now we’ve got Hyundai and all the suppliers centered on the south side of Montgomery. We’ve got the airport over there in west Montgomery that’s being renovated. We’ve got downtown riverfront development in central Montgomery. On the east side, East Chase, which is an open-air shopping center concept, was completed less than a year ago, and they’re working on the second phase of that…Anywhere you turn, there’s construction. If you’ve driven through Montgomery, you’ve seen it. You’ve got cranes and trucks and people working everywhere, which is very exciting. But I think Montgomery for a long time has never had all the pieces to make a lot happen, and I think right now we do. Industrially, we’ve got a lot of growth, commercially we’ve got a lot of growth, residentially we’ve got a lot of growth.”

But a good rule of thumb is to keep pressing once things start rolling your way, and that’s just what Wang says the city plans to do. “All the sectors are booming, and we’re going to try to capitalize on that as much as we can to go after some industry that we traditionally haven’t had here. Maybe in the R&D sector, corporate headquarter facilities or corporate back-office facilities. We’ve got a lot of people retiring from the Air Force here in Montgomery, we’ve got a lot of spouses of Air Force personnel who are looking for employment, well-educated, high-skilled people who need jobs. So we’ve got a ready labor force for corporate facilities, and we’ve got the quality of life. Once the downtown and all this stuff is done, we’ve got the quality of life piece to support corporate development and R&D development.”

Put all those pieces together, and Wilson’s prediction of a 600,000 population seems downright conservative.

Jim Dunn is a staff writer for Business Alabama.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 1:54 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Largescale PDF on the revitalization of Cloverdale.
http://www.faulkner.edu/o/admin/webs...masterplan.pdf

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 2:08 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Town of Hampstead development [Taylor Rd.]

NEW VILLAGE, OLD-WORLD CHARM

Jimmy Lowder, chairman of The Colonial Company, and Andres Duany of Duany Plater-Zyberk & Company architects held a “charrette,” an intense five-day planning session for a new Montgomery development, Hampstead, at the end of August. Hampstead will be developed on 400 acres off Taylor Road, and will mark a new direction in residential communities in the city.

Lowder brought in Duany Plater- Zyberk, best known as the town planners of communities like Seaside and Rosemary Beach, to design a more old-fashioned, pedestrian-friendly community. A site plan and conceptual illustrations were unveiled for the public after the weeklong design process. Following the principles of “smart growth,” a movement working to keep unplanned urban sprawl in check, Hampstead’s design includes: different types of residences like townhomes, single- family residences, live-work units and lofts; residences that are no more than a five-minute walk from a town square; two restaurants; office space; a school; interiors using the best in modern designs; exteriors reminiscent of older neighborhoods, with few garages facing the street; a meeting hall; two churches; ball fields;, no wide or fast streets; and a lake. All of the trees on the land will also be retained.
Visit www.townofhampstead. com or www.dpz.com for more information on Hampstead.

VERY IMPRESSIVE. It says the developers were over Seaside & Rosemary beach down near the west-end of Panama City Beach, talk about MONEY.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 2:08 AM
Witty comment fail

Brown, we appreciate the enthusiasm, we really do, but many of the articles you are posting have been posted earlier

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast