HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

181 Fremont in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 4:57 PM
Proud upstanding member

SAN FRANCISCO | 181 Fremont | 802 FT | 52 FLOORS

Via socketsite http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2..._181_frem.html

Another tower, this one a mere 900 feet, has been proposed for the area surrounding San Francisco’s new Transbay Terminal and Tower. And according to J.K. Dineen, the “razor-thin skyscraper” at 181 Fremont “would include 500,000 square feet of office space beneath about 140 residential condominiums.”

The Fremont Street parcel is one of several sites where the city is considering allowing tall towers as a source of tax revenue to help bankroll the $3.4 billion Transbay Terminal and Tower. Under the plan, developers around the transit center and tower -- likely to soar 1,300 feet or more -- could build well above current 300- to 500-foot zoning restrictions in exchange for pumping millions of dollars in additional taxes to help pay for building new infrastructure in the Transbay District as well as the terminal programing itself. City officials estimate that taxes from upzoning the properties around the Transbay Terminal and Tower could generate $250 million.
Designed by HellerManus, the proposed tower “would have a glass curtain wall and exterior structural system…would seek a gold stamp of approval from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design… [and] include a highly efficient sawtooth glazing system that allows daylighting but reduces unwanted heating.”

And yes, as is now de rigeur, the “developer is also looking into solar power [and] wind turbines…”

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 5:17 PM

Here is an image to go along from http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...03/story1.html

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craeg View Post
Via socketsite http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2..._181_frem.html

Another tower, this one a mere 900 feet, has been proposed for the area surrounding San Francisco’s new Transbay Terminal and Tower. And according to J.K. Dineen, the “razor-thin skyscraper” at 181 Fremont “would include 500,000 square feet of office space beneath about 140 residential condominiums.”

Designed by HellerManus, the proposed tower …would seek a gold stamp of approval from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design… [and] include a highly efficient sawtooth glazing system that allows daylighting but reduces unwanted heating.”

And yes, as is now de rigeur, the “developer is also looking into solar power [and] wind turbines…”
This is the best news for the hopes of this project actually happening. Looks like another stylin' iconic (uh oh, don't tell John King!) tower for the SF Skyline to go with BofA, TAP, and Transbay!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 5:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

can you feel the awesomeness!?!

i know i can, even from that tiny little blurry image from the newspaper scan, the expressed structural elements already have me salivating to see more. san francisco ain't messing around no more; time to get some real height into what is already one hell of a skyline.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Can non-subscribers follow the link to that article? If not, I'll post it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Sweet, San Francisco may well have the second or third tallest and best skyline in the country when all these new buildings are completed. It should be real interesting to see what happens if SF keeps moving towards the obvious source of tax revenue, tall buildings...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Poor Millennium, looks like it's going to be blocked from almost all sides: Transbay to the west (or southwest), 50 Fremont to the north, and now this one to the south!

The density of this neighborhood in 10 years is going to be some of the best in the world.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Can non-subscribers follow the link to that article? If not, I'll post it.
hi BTinSF...please post the article. thanks so much !

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Sweet, San Francisco may well have the second or third tallest and best skyline in the country when all these new buildings are completed.
I keep hearing people say that SF will have the 3rd best skyline after all this is completed... Well, isn't this the case already? Really, you have NY and Chicago, which can be argued day and night over which is first or second, and that will always be the case so long as those cities are still standing, and then, I can't really think of another 'skyline city' than SF. LA might have a couple taller buildings, but I like to think our skyline is better already in density, appeal, etc.
So, I think we are the top 3 now, and we will be into the future. But with Chicago and NY also on the list, can't really ever beat them.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 6:39 PM

socket site now has a larger image up http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 6:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ it looks like it's straight out of 1975. i LOVE it! it's not really neo-modern at all, just real deal last gasp of modernism from the mid 70s transported 30 years forward through time. and a nice homage to transamerica with those big diagonally braced truss sections at the base and half way up the tower.

big, bold, muscular, inelegant......... this is my kind of architecture.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 31, 2007 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
I keep hearing people say that SF will have the 3rd best skyline after all this is completed... Well, isn't this the case already? Really, you have NY and Chicago, which can be argued day and night over which is first or second, and that will always be the case so long as those cities are still standing, and then, I can't really think of another 'skyline city' than SF. LA might have a couple taller buildings, but I like to think our skyline is better already in density, appeal, etc.
So, I think we are the top 3 now, and we will be into the future. But with Chicago and NY also on the list, can't really ever beat them.
I suppose that could be true, but I mentioned in both height and quality. LA has greater height right now, a place into which SF will definitely move. Either way SF will be cementing the 3rd place title for a long long time...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 7:06 PM
BANNED

Re: New, Bigger Redering

That is one ugly mother fucker.... I love it!

Way old school, which is a good thing...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Another tower added to Transbay
Developer SKS joins rush to new highrise district with 900-foot plan
San Francisco Business Times - August 31, 2007
by J.K. Dineen

SKS Investments is proposing a 900-foot, mixed-use tower at 181 Fremont St., a razor-thin skyscraper that would play a prominent supporting role in the new Transbay District at First and Mission streets.

The 66-story tower would include 500,000 square feet of office space beneath about 140 residential condominiums, according to SKS principals and an application for environmental evaluation filed with the city.

The Fremont Street parcel is one of several sites where the city is considering allowing tall towers as a source of tax revenue to help bankroll the $3.4 billion Transbay Terminal and Tower. Under the plan, developers around the transit center and tower -- likely to soar 1,300 feet or more -- could build well above current 300- to 500-foot zoning restrictions in exchange for pumping millions of dollars in additional taxes to help pay for building new infrastructure in the Transbay District as well as the terminal programing itself. City officials estimate that taxes from upzoning the properties around the Transbay Terminal and Tower could generate $250 million.

Daniel Kingsley, a managing partner with SKS Investments, said the 15,500-square-foot site between the eastern edge of terminal and Town Hall restaurant lends itself to the sort of slender, airy tower city Planning Director Dean Macris has been promoting. Creating a home for new residents and workers next to the terminal would help foster the dense live-work, transit-based neighborhood that Transbay leaders are aiming for, he added.

"If the Transit Center is going to turn into the Grand Central Station of the West Coast, it needs to be appropriately supported with mixed-use projects and appropriate densities," said Kingsley. "This was a wonderful opportunity to do something right smack dab next to the terminal."

The project, designed by HellerManus, will be part of a consolidated environmental impact report that will take in all the major proposed developments in the Transbay District, according to Macris. The planning director said the 181 Fremont St. project has not been "vetted yet" but is one of several proposals that are "candidates" for Transbay upzoning.

"We'll have plenty to say about a dozen projects down there but not before next year," said Macris. "We're going through shadow analysis, wind analysis, traffic analysis. To say anything now would be premature."

The SKS proposal, which could cost $450 million or more to build, comes as a special jury is considering three proposals for the Transbay Terminal and Tower. The development teams include Rockefeller Group with architect Skidmore Owings Merrill, Hines with architect Cesar Pelli, and Forest City with architect Richard Rogers.

The panel is slated to make a recommendation on Sept. 9, with the Transbay Joint Powers Authority making a final decision on Sept. 20.

In addition to 181 Fremont St., other proposals within the district include the Solit Interests Group's Renzo Piano-designed scheme which could include as many as five towers at First and Mission streets, the tallest of which would likely soar more than 1,000 feet. The cluster of towers -- spaced out enough to allow sunlight to penetrate -- would help create a mound of structures in which the Transbay Tower, which will be among the tallest buildings in the United States, will be the centerpiece.

The building would have 13,000- to 14,000-square-foot floorplates on the lower office floors that would taper to 10,000 square feet on the residential floors above. SKS officials say the small floorplates will be able to cater to average downtown tenants seeking 5,000 to 15,000 square feet. Kingsley compared the building to 601 California St. -- SKS's home -- which has similar-sized floors.

"It doesn't lend itself to a 200,000-square-foot tenant, but it's perfect for 7,000-square-foot tenants like us," said SKS Managing Partner Paul Stein. "If we had our druthers, I think we would design smaller floorplates. Even if we had an opportunity to do something bigger, I don't think we would."

He added: "It may take longer to lease but once it's leased, you're less susceptible to big tenants leaving and having a lot of vacancy in the building."

The tower would have a glass curtain wall and exterior structural system. It would seek a gold stamp of approval from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, according to Kingsley. Environmental features will include a highly efficient sawtooth glazing system that allows daylighting but reduces unwanted heating. The developer is also looking into solar power, wind turbines and "chilled beams" -- overhead cooling units that use cold and hot water to modulate temperature.

"There is not a big single solution, but if you look at every single incremental solution -- as small as they might be -- and add it all together you can have an impact," said Kingsley. "That is the philosophy we have to follow."

SKS Investments -- a partnership of Kingsley, Paul Stein, and Julie Stein -- has made its name developing high-tech-oriented properties South of Market, including 501 Second St., 575 Brannan St., and 350 Rhode Island St. All three principals, however, have plenty of highrise experience: Kingsley was a longtime executive at Los Angeles-based Maguire Thomas Partners, participating in 3 million square feet of office development; Paul Stein was a vice president with Shorenstein Properties and a leasing director with Damon Raike; and Julie Stein was involved in more than $10 billion in commercial mortgage and equity transactions with Salomon Brothers and Rosen Consulting Group.

Paul Stein said the highrise "really brings us back to our roots more than anything."

"It's fine to see on a piece of paper, but the real joy comes in building it," said Paul Stein.

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...03/story1.html

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 7:16 PM

I have to admit, though this comment will further solidify my being a total height whore, that I really hope this towers height at 900 ft is an indication that the Howard street Transbay tower will at least break 1000ft. I say put Pelli's design there and make it a perfect world.

But with something a little more serious, does anyone know the likely hood of this project with Prop M? I suppose I am under the impression that the limit is already being pushed without this proposal.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 7:25 PM
BANNED

^^^This project, surprisingly, is "only" 500,000 sq ft of office. Prop M allows about 900,000 sq ft per year (I can't recall the exact number). And remember what I posted last week--there's a move afoot to strip some "entitled" buildings that haven't started construction within the required 18 months of their "entitlements", making that "banked" square footage again available. If that happens, this building could easily be built within a few years I believe. Even if it doesn't happen, I doubt Prop. M would stop it--it wpould have to compete with some other projects but given the emphasis on the TransBay area, I think it would get an allocation.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 7:38 PM
I love boxes.

Another 900' proposal adds to the list of so may tall proposals, maybe some day they'll build most of 'em.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 8:41 PM
Sonoma Strong

hmm, a good heller manus design! - thats rare (might even be a first)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 8:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
socket site now has a larger image up http://www.socketsite.com/

(Emporis)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 11:31 PM
them bones

I find the design almost appalling, but the idea is nice. Anybody else bothered by the different sized vertical bracing bays? (I realize of course why they are like that, but it still looks odd).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive