HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Oceanwide Center I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 8:40 PM

Thumbs up SAN FRANCISCO | Oceanwide Center | 910 & 636 FT | 61 & 54 Floors | ON HOLD

A Trio Of SOM Towers At 50 First Street As Proposed

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

via: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments
Quote:
The project site, comprising seven parcels, and portions of Elim Alley and Jessie Street, is approximately 56,860 square feet in size. All lots are within Block 3708 and include 50 First Street, 62 First Street, 76‐78 First Street, 88 First Street, 512 Mission Street, 516 Mission Street, and 526 Mission Street; the three parcels with addresses on Mission Street are currently vacant.

The three proposed towers would accommodate a mix of office (approximately 1.25 million square feet), residential (about 182 dwelling units), retail (approximately 43,000 square feet), and hotel (about 266 rooms) use, along with a 15,000‐square‐foot entertainment venue (performance theater), five levels of below grade parking (about 310 spaces), off‐street loading spaces, and publicly accessible open space.

Tower One would front on First Street and would span the portion of Jessie Street that runs through the project site. The 64‐story building would be 850 feet tall to the roof (915 feet tall to the top of the parapet and solar/wind energy collection features), and would include an 83‐foot tall base that would also have frontage on Stevenson Street, where the proposed performance theater would be located. The building would contain approximately 43,000 square feet of retail and the 15,000 sf performance theater on levels one through three. Mechanical space would occupy the topmost story. The remaining 60 stories would provide approximately 1.25 million square feet of office space. The tower would span the easternmost portion of Jessie Street, which would be closed to vehicular traffic and converted into a 20‐foot‐tall public pedestrian passageway (Jessie Street Galleria) flanked by retail space and lobbies serving the office use. The First Street frontage, moving from north to south, would include the theater entrance, office lobby, entrance to the Jessie Street Galleria, second office lobby and a retail store. The Stevenson Street frontage would include retail space and a garage/loading dock driveway separated by an open pedestrian entry to the interior passageway linking Stevenson Street, Mission Street and First Street via the proposed Jessie Street Galleria. An approximately 5,100‐square‐foot publicly accessible roof terrace would be developed atop the 83‐foot tall theater, fronting on Stevenson Street.

Tower Two would front Mission Street and Ecker Place. The 56-story building (605 feet to the roof, 640 feet to the top of the parapet) would include residential and hotel uses above the ground-floor entrances and two levels of hotel service space. Approximately 266 hotel rooms would be located on floors four through 22 and approximately 160 residential units would occupy levels 23 through 55. A mechanical level would occupy floor 56. The ground floor would include a hotel entrance, a residential lobby on Ecker Place, and a retail space at the corner of Mission and Ecker. The hotel lobby would be on the second floor, and hotel function space would occupy level 3. Publicly accessible open space would occupy the set back area between Tower Two and the Mission Street and Ecker Place property lines.

Tower Three would be located at the northwest corner of Mission and First Streets. This 15-story, 174-foot tall building (184 feet tall to the top of the parapet), would include retail space and a residential lobby on the ground floor and 22 residential units on the upper levels. Tower Three would be separated from the rest of the proposed project by a “T” shaped parcel (84 First Street) that is not under the control of the project sponsor and not included in the project site.

The project as proposed would either require approval of the proposed Transit Center District Plan and accompanying rezoning with respect to increased height limits or a site-specific amendment of the Planning Code and General Plan height maps by way of the Board of Supervisors upon recommendation from the Planning Commission.

Next step, the preparation of an environmental impact report (EIR).

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 26, 2014 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:29 PM
Community Guy

This has some great potential, but is the demand there yet?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:16 PM

Whuh ? Huh ? Didn't see this coming.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 12:03 AM

Looks neato.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 12:42 AM
Get me out of here

WhooooHoooo!!!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 12:49 AM

This proposal has potential. Boxy at the ground level, turning curvy as they shoot skyward. They may not be as visually arresting as Piano's bamboo shoots, but the mass may wind up having just as much impact on the skyline. Tower 1 takes full advantage of the proposed 850' height limit, but Tower 2 falls a little shy of its 700'. And Tower 3 is much shorter than 550', but I guess that's to be expected as long as the adjacent properties refuse to sell.

image courtesy of SocketSite (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...rict_plan.html)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 12:53 AM
Heavy User

Has this just popped out of nowhere? Where is this in relation to the transbay towers? I haven't been keeping up with news on SF so excuse my ignorance

edit

Assuming that map above answers the Transbay question...which would be the 1000ft parcel yes?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 1:28 AM
BROOKLYN

I just visited San Francisco. Where exactly is this?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
Assuming that map above answers the Transbay question...which would be the 1000ft parcel yes?
The 1000ft parcel is the Transbay. This project is at the opposite corner just northwest, where the 850' and 700' are circled.

Here it is on google. http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CBQQ8gEwAA

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 1:36 AM
them bones

Quote:
The project as proposed would either require approval of the proposed Transit Center District Plan and accompanying rezoning with respect to increased height limits or a site-specific amendment of the Planning Code and General Plan height maps by way of the Board of Supervisors upon recommendation from the Planning Commission.

Next step, the preparation of an environmental impact report (EIR).
These are the most important statements in the entire write-up. Let the chopping begin! (sadly)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 3:37 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Yes, the 1000-ft. zone is the Transbay Tower parcel. These heights are not impossible, but regardless of eventual height the EIR is going to take forever.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 4:55 PM

Would these likely come after the Transbay tower or before? I know that is a difficult question, but I figured someone might have an idea.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 5:50 PM
Heavy User

Thanks for clearing things up San Frangelino and Fflint.

The design on this does look strangely reminiscent to the transbay tower also. Like a shorter slightly heavier twin.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 1:14 AM
Metal Up Your !

I'm crossing my fingers. Although I don't live in the city, I do live in the Bay Area so this would definitely be a great addition to our beautiful city

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 1:58 AM

im really liking the shape

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 3:02 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Despite the reduced height, I'm more excited about this proposal than what we saw from Piano. Granted, a lot of that has to do with the minimal visuals we saw for the previous proposal. But I like the prospects of this and Pelli's tower playing off each other a little bit. Plus, SOM deserves a prominent tower in the plan after their brilliant proposal for the Transbay Tower itself.

When and if these two projects plus 350 Mission and of course the terminal get off the ground, the transformation of the neighborhood will be remarkable.

Quote:
If the Transbay Plan is anywhere near on schedule, then I would hope it will be approved in time for this project's timeline. The Transbay EIR is supposed to be finalized next Spring. I have no idea how long approval of that will take, but I think it might still be easier to wait for that as it should make approval of this much more straightforward. Either way, this needs to wait for the office market to get stronger, so I wouldn't think they're in any kind of rush.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 5:35 AM
Sonoma Strong

FINALLY, some skyscraper talk for san francisco...

now we just need to get this built

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 5:41 AM
THAT Guy

The towers look like they'll nicely complement Pelli's design, although I'm a bit surprised by how few units there are.

How is SF's office market right now?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 8:23 PM

Oh man i love the design it needs to work baby

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 10:40 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Some snapshots I took a couple hours ago on a really brief jaunt to the project site:

Here you see the row in question: the building on the corner of First and Stevenson, 40 First, is staying put:

Jessie Street will end in the middle of the block rather than extending to First Street--this intersection will disappear. It does appear there will be a tunnel-like walkway built on this axis through the new tower for peds, however:

This is Ellim, a really narrow alley that apparently will be completely elim-inated (haha). The buildings on either side will disappear, too:

Of these three, only little 84 First is going to remain:

Looking up First Street from Mission Street. The corner building will go, but the tiny building to the left of it on Mission will apparently stay.

Looking through the vacant lot from Mission Street:

The vacant lot from Ellim alley at Ecker Place, showing the brick backside of holdout 84 First Street:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive