HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 10:19 PM

Logan Suburb may get Mixed-Use Development

By Kim Burgess
Published:
Friday, July 24, 2009 1:00 PM CDT
HYDE PARK — A new development of upscale shops and multi-family housing could be coming to this community in northern Cache Valley. On Wednesday, the Hyde Park City Council heard a presentation from NAI Utah Commerical Real Estate about the company’s hopes to build a mixed-use project on 20 acres located near Hyde Park Lane and U.S. Highway 91.

NAI real estate agent Ryan Reeves compared the development, Hyde Park Commons, to upscale projects in Jackson Hole, Wyo., and Utah’s Park City. Artist renderings depict modern-style beige and red three-story commercial buildings with shops on the ground floor and office space above, though architect Russ Naylor said he is open to changing the design. A condo community with 108 units is to the east of the shops. The condos would start out as rentals at about $800 to $1,000 a month, then be sold for about $200,000 each when the real estate market stabilizes.

Reeves added that NAI is not looking for “big box” stores to come into the development. Instead, they would welcome specialty “niche” businesses like a boutique clothing store and restaurants.

-------------------------

Although the council did not take a vote on the development, Mayor David Kooyman expressed support.

“I personally like the idea of multi-use and what you are proposing,” he said.

“This (development) is for young professionals or retirees who don’t want to take care of that half-acre lot,” he said.

Full article: http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/...2-07-24-09.txt

Not sure if it will actually happen, but I definitely like the idea. It's nice to see the fast-growing suburbs or 'bedroom' communities of Logan trying to come into their own.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 6:38 PM

Logan County and City buildings

Recently Cache County and the City of Logan have created and upgraded many city and county buildings. They're almost all completed now:

County Building:

New City Hall / Police Station

Department of Workforce Services, etc.

Cache Title

New Judicial Court building

Old Courthouse : Renovated

Park / Memorial area

I'm not really a big fan of the style, especially on City Hall. I like the style of the Judicial building though and wish they would have used that theme instead. The remodeled Courthouse, and County buildings are also nice I think.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Ya, I remember them wanting to put the hotel where the goodyear tire store was on 2nd North but the city wouldn't let that property go. They wanted to keep it for city use. Though I do think it would have been better if they could have worked something out and had the hotel in downtown.
I have to agree with the city and not letting that land go to a hotel to be honest. That whole area is county, city, government buildings. The land in question borders the city library and Post Office. I think it's a good idea to keep it for future expansion, which is going to happen.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 3:58 AM

USU Campus Update

Some recent developments going on at USU in Logan.

New Education Research Building

Recent student housing built on campus:

www.UtahProjects.info

Last edited by TonyAnderson; Oct 6, 2009 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 7:23 PM

I got my bachelors from USU about 5 years ago and really haven't been back much to see all the changes on campus. That new campus housing looks like it is just north of Old Main... is that the case or is that an optical illusion? And if so, what did they tear down to built them? I can't remember what was there.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 2:25 AM

Nice to see a fellow Aggie here

So 5 years. Well the Merrill Library was torn down and rebuilt as an extension to that other library. The Caine Performance Hall was built, as well another new engineering building. The spot where the old Merrill Library was is going to be a new Ag Science building. The funding is already allocated, I guess they're just finishing the final design or something. The College of Business became the Jon. M. Huntsman School of Business after a significant donation, and they've proposed a huge extension / building to the current one, that would be built where a few dorms are now and have a skybridge type of thing connecting the buildings.

Article: http://huntsman.usu.edu/htm/news/hun...articleID=3699

The dorms I showed in the picture are just north of Old Main. Actually they're between the TSC and Old Main, and are directly south of the institute building. I don't remember what was there either - it seems like nothing was there - they're right on the top of the hill, with a huge parking terrace beneath them.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:51 AM

City Block Plan

Here's an illustration I found on Logan City's website regarding the City block, and what looks to be a new library. The other new building would be the Mixed-use one mentioned.

What it currently looks like (actually it's changed a little)

Specific Plan for Downtown Logan link

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 9:39 PM

CVTD Hub

The Cache Valley Transit District or CVTD (originally the Logan Transit District or LTD before it expanded to the whole valley) is a free-fare bus system that runs throughout Logan and the entire valley. The other nice thing is the bus seems to hit a wide range of areas and streets, not just a few popular ones.

They recently developed / expanded their hub downtown when they incorporated.

The bus system gives Logan a much more urban feel to me, and also helps out with better air quality, which the valley struggles with during inversions in the winter. On certain 'Red days' people are encouraged to ride the bus as opposed to driving their cars.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 11:28 PM

Local firm touted for rapid growth

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/...t#blogcomments

By Charles Geraci
Published: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:49 AM CDT

A local utility management and billing company has recently been recognized by business publications to be among the fastest-growing businesses in the state and nation.

Conservice, based in Logan, has received recognition from both Inc. and Utah Business magazines. The firm’s clients are essentially property management companies throughout the United States, and Conservice helps manage the utility programs at various apartment communities, for example.

“It’s been a rewarding experience to see the exponential growth of this company in just a few short years,” said Conservice CEO David Jenkins. “It’s an honor to see our constant commitment to be one of the best in our industry recognized not only in our state, but nationally as well.”

Inc. magazine annually identifies the 5,000 fastest-growing private companies based on revenue growth over the prior three years. Conservice is listed by the publication in the top 35 percent of those 5,000 businesses at number 1,785 with revenue growth of 177.9 percent from 2005 to 2008.

“As a relatively new company, it signifies that we’re doing something right in that we’re able to grow during a difficult economy while keeping our clients happy,” said Shauna Karren, Conservice’s director of marketing and internal training.

In the last two years, Conservice has nearly doubled its number of employees, which now stands at roughly 180, according to Karren.

Since its inception in 1999, Conservice has consistently increased its employee count, Karren said.

“We’ve been able to contribute to the local economy by continuing to hire new employees from the area,” she said.

For the second straight year, Utah Business magazine recognized Conservice as one of 50 Utah companies showing rapid revenue growth. Conservice was ranked 23rd this year.

In addition to billing residents at apartment communities individually for their utilities, Conservice also conducts the measurements for usage. In that way, Karren said the company hopes to show residents through awareness what their water usage, for example, is actually costing.

“When individual users are responsible to pay for the water that they use, they tend to use less water,” Karren said. “We hope that residents will adjust their usage to conserve water and other utilities so it helps the environment as well.”

They're located at the new Riverwoods Complex, and with their growth, may need another building soon.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 2:56 AM

Logan / Cache Valley Update

September - Development progress and news:

New Education building on campus:

New Science Research Facility at the Innovation Campus Business Park:

First phase of the 100million dollar industrial park by the Logan Airport. 80,000 square foot building.

Riverwoods Conference Center and Elements Restaurant. These are both now open and running.

New businesses opening in the last few months:
  • Walgreens
  • Beehive Grill - Restaurant, beer and root beer brewery downtown.
  • Texas Roadhouse - Located by the Mall in the retail/restauraunt, or the 'Laytonized' area of the city if you will.
  • Jimmy Johns - They're also remodeling the entire area around there
  • Cricket - Finally available in Cache Valley, and opened a store in south Logan.
  • Golds Gym - They're using some existing space in south Logan now, but are constructing a huge new gym behind it that will supposedly be the largest in the valley.

Transportation:
  • 100 East from 3 South to 8 South - Work continues. Bridge over the Logan River is complete. Curbs/Sidewalks are being installed now.
  • 200 East from 1800 North to 2200 North. This just got started last week and should go through November.
  • 10th West bypass. UDOT plans to begin working on widening the entire street to two lanes on each side. I believe work starts early next yera
  • U.S 89 / South Logan - UDOT is going to install a median for about a mile-stretch as well as a traffic light there. The City Council would also like to integrate Gateway Signage there

Upcoming Developments:

-Campbell Scientific - growth has them ready to build a second building - plans are just about complete I believe.

-Schreiber Foods Inc, a dairy producer / manufacturer located in Logan is planning on building a 14,000 Sq. Foot extension to their building to accommodate growth.

-Hyde Park Commons - the upscale mixed-use development that was proposed for Hyde Park - planning is still ongoing.

-Logan City has acquired the property on 303 N. Main downtown, and would like to have it developed on. They want something that, as the Mayor said, will 'increase our tax base'.

-The old Roller Skating Rink downtown on Center St. and 1st East is up for sale and supposedly has a couple potential bidders. I'm not sure if they plan to renovate it, or tear it down and build something else. I think the area is perfect for mixed-use retail and residential.

Other News

-A developer has proposed creating a structured parking terrace on the LDS's Tabernacle parking lot downtown, with an underground bridge running under Main Street connecting to the Copper Mill Restaurant on the other side. They're looking at funding.

-Related news to the Tabernacle: The Iron Gate Grill, a popular restaurant now located in Providence, just outside of Logan, is trying to move to downtown Logan. The area they're in though is within 600 feet of a few churches and the LDS Tabernacle. Utah state law dictates that any place serving alcohol within 600 feet of a religious institution must get a waiver from those institutions in order to serve alcohol. The LDS Church denied the waiver. What's left everybody dumbfounded is that the LDS Church allowed the waiver for other Restaurants, and a full bar, all of whom still operate there. We'll see where this goes.

That's all from Logan, where school is now back in session:

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 1:42 AM

Today

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 3:32 AM

Airport continues progress in down economy: New master plan could affect nearby development

By Jay Patrick, Herald Journal
Published: Friday, October 2, 2009 12:34 PM CDT

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/...4-10-02-09.txt

Terrible economic conditions have squashed hopes of commercial service coming to Logan-Cache Airport anytime soon, but the airport is working to be sure it’s set to serve a carrier when things turn around.

A new taxiway that can handle big passenger jets is under construction.

The $550,000 project, paid for primarily with a state grant, will rebuild a 1950s-era, 2,000-foot taxiway that is breaking down because of age and because it’s only designed to support 12,500 pounds — the big jets that occasionally land in Logan put big stress on the feeble asphalt, said Rich Stehmeier, the airport manager.

A few years ago, local government and airline officials worked to bring commercial service to Cache Valley — perhaps connecting to regional hubs like Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix and Las Vegas — but nothing panned out, despite much hype.

Since then, airport officials have continued to talk with potential carriers.

Stehmeier figures improvements like the taxiway and the addition of an Instrument Landing System in 2007 are putting the airport in a better position to land a carrier when the economy perks up.

“We have most of the facilities we need,” said Gar Walton, a member of the airport board. “Now we just need the economy.”

In addition to the economy turning around, the development of an Airport Master Plan figures prominently in the facility’s future.

The Airport Master Plan, in development since 2007, is now finished and is set to come before the Logan Planning Commission on Oct. 22.

The plan not only spells out the airport’s future development but also recommends what sorts of developments should and should not happen around the facility. At some airports, residential and commercial areas built nearby have limited operations and made it harder to secure FAA funds.

“We want to protect the airport,” Stehmeier said.

With a master plan in place, the airport can try for FAA money to pay for upgrades.

“If it’s not planned, the FAA won’t pay for it,” Stehmeier said. “This is a big, big thing for us.”

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:42 PM

Thanks for all the info Tony. It looks like a lot has changed since I was there, lots of improvements on campus especially. Those pics of the LTD/CVTD sure brought back memories, I used to ride it almost every day. I may have to try to find an excuse to make it back up there sometime soon, especially if I can manage to run into a couple of those girls in the blue shirts from a few posts ago

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCforme View Post
Thanks for all the info Tony. It looks like a lot has changed since I was there, lots of improvements on campus especially. Those pics of the LTD/CVTD sure brought back memories, I used to ride it almost every day. I may have to try to find an excuse to make it back up there sometime soon, especially if I can manage to run into a couple of those girls in the blue shirts from a few posts ago
Oh just walk around campus and you'll run into some Of course now that's it's fall you'll probably have to settle for jeans.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 6:53 PM

USU Update

USU Fall Enrollment Largest in History

Writer: John DeVilbiss, 435-797-1358

http://www.usu.edu/ust/index.cfm?article=20321

Utah State University’s fall headcount enrollment of 24,421 students, the largest in the university’s 119-year history, marks an increase of 3.4 percent from fall 2006. New freshmen, non-resident and regional campus enrollments are all up.

* USU’s combined main and regional campus headcount enrollment grew from 23,623 students in 2006 to a new record high of 24,421 -- up 3.4 percent.

* USU main campus enrollment is 14,893, up 3.1 percent from last fall.

* USU regional campus enrollment is 10,736, for an increase of 6.2 percent. This reflects strongly on USU’s statewide reach with 42 percent of its students now attending USU’s regional campuses.

* The number of first-time freshmen on the main USU campus is up by 203 students, or a 7.7 percent increase. When viewed over the past two years, this upward trend becomes even more notable.

* The number of first-time freshmen enrolled in 2005 was 2,054. When compared against the fall 2007 number of 2,842, USU first-time freshmen enrollment has jumped 38.4 percent.

* USU main campus domestic minority enrollment reached 700 students for a 6.5 percent increase over last fall. Students in this category include American Indians, Asians, Blacks and Hispanics.

* USU main campus domestic minority enrollment among first-time freshmen is at 153 students, representing a 25.4 percent increase.

* USU males on the main campus increased 1.5 percent from 7,663 to 7,775.

* USU females on the main campus increased 5 percent from 6,781 to 7,118.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 7:15 PM
Always running Late

this is one of the larger cities in utah I have not been to..
But judging by the pictures you have posted it looks like a beautiful valley and city. Perhaps a detour next time I'm headed to slc is in order...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
this is one of the larger cities in utah I have not been to..
But judging by the pictures you have posted it looks like a beautiful valley and city. Perhaps a detour next time I'm headed to slc is in order...
I haven't been there since the mid-90's, my wife and I met there right before she graduated, and only went back to visit once. I had a great time there for sure. I thought about going down for the USU-BSU football game, but with the late kickoff in November, the kids couldn't handle it.

Anyhoo, I can't believe how much the campus has changed! And downtown looks beautiful! I need a good excuse to visit.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 11:28 PM

I went to Logan yesterday to watch a presentation at USU. I've been there several times, so it's nothing new, but it is always a nice place to visit. Especially in autumn, it's a photogenic place. The Family Life building (I think was the name) on campus is really cool, it's one of my new favorite art deco buildings.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 11:48 PM
Always running Late

I'm curious now... it looks like a very beautiful place.. like a little salt lake valley but without the stinky lake and hustle and bustle...will definetely have to check it out... having a university in a place like that is quite cool as well...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 12:02 AM
The Drifter

I might just head up today and take some pictures of the valley that has a great view to the west of where I live. You get a great look of culter reservoir and all the farmland on the western end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West