HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:05 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
They explain the purpose during the interview.

Summed up no salt/plowing and cracks on the roads. You'll get your money back within ten years.
I didn't have sound running on my computer. need to bring my earbuds in here....

goodloard!!!!!

cool, but still seems like a useless idea.. considering the trucks will be on the road anyways.. But I guess to a beancounter it makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

The bridges over the Linc are all heated. Hamilton have been heating up roads for awhile now.

Very Norwegian. Expect Hamilton has gone one step further, solar panels on the bus shelters to supply the heat for the roads and sidewalks.

Only buses will be allowed to drive along MacNab terminal, no trucks and cars.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:22 PM
gettin' rich!

when i said trucks, I meant the snowploughs that will be on the road anyways.. that could just shovel the terminals snow.

But yes, credit is due for thinking ahead of the curve. Nice to see that hamilton is more forward thinking with their transit than Mississauga in this regard.

So what's the word on the LRT? you guys still getting one? or did you get screwed by McGinty?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Environmental Assessment is taking place for the LRT. It'll be completed in November (cost $3 million alone for the EA). After that the Rapid Transit office has been invited to present the results to Metrolinx in November.

No surprise that it's just in time for the 2011 Budget and the next provincial election.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:36 PM
gettin' rich!

An LRT for downtown Hamilton would be sweet.

I could see LRT's working on Barton, King and Main streets.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:53 PM

Here is an abridged video presenting the planned Quebec City Tramway. It is part of the Plan de mobilité durable, a plan which describes how the City wants to develop in the next 15 years. That's why the line passes through eco neighbourhoods not yet in construction, as well as a new Stadium (which I predict will be in the news in the coming weeks). Evidently, the tramway would be a tool to promote these new neighbourhoods as well as the densification of the city. Now, I have no idea if this tramway will be built but I sure hope so!

Video Link

This is the écolobus. As the name might suggest, these buses function only on electricity and are used exclusively in the historic district.

http://www.gcpvd.org/wp-content/uplo...1/ecolobus.jpg

Finally, here are the metrobuses used to service the main lines.

http://www.quebechebdo.com/media/pho...950_resize.jpg

Last edited by davidivivid; Aug 25, 2010 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 5:12 PM
Identity Condiment

Do you have to pay to use the écolobus or is it like a free downtown shuttle bus?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 5:24 PM

^Vid

"The Écolobus is a free downtown circulator service operated with electric buses. The vehicle’s maximum speed is 33km/h (20.5mph) and they have a service range of 100km (62 miles) or 12 hours. The buses take 8 hours to charge and seat 10 passengers, with room for 10 more to stand. The buses consume C$3.25 (~US$3.16) of electricity per day. The design of the bus with a large side door does not allow for fare collection, the bus driver is separated from the passengers in their own compartment. "

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 10:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bixi depot at Hamilton's City Hall

Jason Leach
http://www.raisethehammer.org/blog/1...r_bike-sharing

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 10:44 PM

Whats with the map of Montreal? haha

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 10:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

That's the first station and a pilot project. If the demand is good the City will keep it and expand stations. Bixi is from Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 11:37 PM

Euh, I know bixi is from Montreal. I just thought it was funny they left the map there.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Metrobus needs overhaul, forum told

Complaints far outnumbered compliments for St. John's transit service at a public meeting Tuesday night, as Metrobus collected opinion for its next five-year plan.

Nearly 30 people attended the meeting at St. John's City Hall, raising issues about the bus service, its efficiency and its ability to serve passengers both inside and outside the city.

City-owned Metrobus Transit admits it needs to make improvements and has hired outside help to help determine how the public bus service can be improved.

Frequent passenger Helen Webster said changes need to come quickly.

"If we're going to be a have province, we have to have a transit system that's going to meet a growing city," Webster said outside the meeting.

"It's going to move people efficiently, effectively and [with] affordability."

Metrobus, though, has had problems for many years with low ridership numbers on some routes, particularly as subdivisions have grown on the outside edges of the city and in neighbouring municipalities. With little density in many areas, there is limited demand to make expanded routes viable.

Richard Puccini, one of the transportation consultants working with Metrobus, said while problems can be fixed there will be challenges implementing them.

"People are finding the private automobile more affordable and more effective than the current level of service," he told CBC News.

The consultants — who have been conducting surveys, interviewing passengers and riding the buses themselves — are expected to file their material for a formal presentation to Metrobus Transit within six weeks.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...#ixzz0zcL4jplM

One thing St. John's needs is écolobus' like Quebec City, one big expensive problem in St. John's is that some routes don't have the ridership to justify the current sized busses.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 2:44 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andomano View Post
I was able to talk to one of the employees while I was taking the photos, he said the test track is only able to have 3 cars on it due to the short length, and the other half of this particular train was currently inside the building and is going to be tested next week. He mentioned that this train is to be delivered by Thanksgiving, and also mentioned that they were moving the train later in the afternoon but I was unable to stick around for that. They had all the doors open on the 3 car set, and had all the lcd tv/led route panels.

LED Route panel (slightly edited to brighten). (Car 5392)

View of interior & Open LCD TV panel (Car 5392)

Open End of Car 5393

from andomano at UT

New subway cars, and LED/LCD displays for mapping and information...

www.urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 5:29 PM
gettin' rich!

http://dcnonl.com/article/id40685

Coast Meridian Overpass built in increments to avoid disruptions

PETER KENTER

correspondent

Port Coquitlam, B.C. is a town cut in half by a rail yard that requires residents to use underpasses at either end of the city to traverse town.

Introducing the new Coast Meridian Overpass (CMO), a 580-metre long cable-stayed bridge that provides the city with a new north-south link and supplies four vehicle lanes, two bicycle lanes and a pedestrian path.

The $135-million project is made up of twin steel box girders and a composite concrete deck and employs 5,000 tonnes of structural steel.

Built by contractor SNC-Lavalin Constructors Pacific and designed by International Bridge Technologies, Inc. of San Diego, the project represents the first incrementally launched cable-stayed steel bridge in North America.

The superstructure was built by George Third & Son (GTS) and Dynamic Structures.

The design challenge for the bridge was crossing 50 parallel sets of tracks in the CPR rail yard without disrupting train traffic or rail operations. The solution: install concrete piers at strategic locations throughout the rail yard, then build the bridge in sections, feeding it forward across the piers until it reached the other side.

“There was a lot of discussion on the design,” says Robert Gale, Senior Engineer with Somerset Engineering/KWH Constructors, the launching contractor for the project and a division of GTS.

“The steel box girders were three metres deep, and they needed to clear the train envelope, so designing a cable-stayed bridge allowed us to get away with that. It was basically a go-round of making sure you had enough clearance of the structure, strong enough to launch across the piers but designed to remain in a permanent position for a century. The bridge was designed with six per cent approaches on either end, to get traffic up and over the rail yard.”

Construction of a bridge had been discussed as early as 1913, but this particular project had been in the planning stage for about 20 years. Much of the recent discussion involved negotiations with CPR to build the bridge in the air space over private property.

“They didn’t want their operations impacted at all,” says Gale.

“We had to limit the piers to as few as possible and that’s one of the reasons we chose steel for the bridge. Concrete would have been heavier and would have required more piers to be built.”

The final design involved six spans over a single row of five concrete piers with drilled steel shafts and concrete pier heads placed to avoid the tracks.

“On some projects, you launch the bridge all in one go, or launch it from both directions,” says Gale. “In this case, we incrementally launched the bridge from the south, as we added structure to the back of it.”

Five bridge deck sections were delivered over four months, then bolted and spliced together, with the longest sections delivered last.The bridge was clamped, then moved forward a few feet at a time using hydraulic rams.

Rollers on the top of the piers smoothed the progress of the growing structure.

Temporary cable stays helped to keep the bridge in line.

The company had previously used the launching system on the Kicking Horse Bridge project but modified it for the CMO.

“We had a little more deflection of the bridge than we initially expected,” says Gale. “But we learned how to compensate for that.”

The sixth and final span was conventionally constructed, using a crane.

Construction began in March 2008 and, despite the project challenges, the bridge opened on time to traffic exactly two years later in March 2010.

Gale says he also had an ulterior motive for cheering on the completion of the bridge.

“The offices of Dynamic Structures are located a couple of blocks from one end of the bridge,” he says. “It really saves me a lot of time driving to work.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 8:49 AM

Today the first renders of the Evergreen Line stations were unveiled. The Port Moody Central and IOCO stations are the most interesting of the bunch, with unique and pleasing designs. lots of juicy info here on the project in general, going to be exciting when this gets underway next year!

http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/d...ssionGuide.pdf

I am definitely going to one of the open houses.

I am soooo happy that Vancouver decided to build a fully grade separated mass transit system as its transit backbone (Thank you Expo Line). Is Vancouver the last North American city to have done so?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 3:05 PM
Community Guy

^very impressive and really the last spur needed to make the GVRD 'connected'.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 3:09 PM
Community Guy

Our Mayor wants the SE-LRT line done by 2015

Mill Woods LRT possible by 2015, mayor says

Lowered construction costs mean Edmonton could avoid borrowing for extension

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM OCTOBER 6, 2010 6:50 AM COMMENTS (61)

STORYPHOTOS ( 3 )

More Images »

The Mill Woods LRT line could be opened in 2015 without the city borrowing any money to build it, Stephen Mandel says.
Photograph by: Brian Gavriloff, edmontonjournal.com
EDMONTON — The Mill Woods LRT line could be opened in 2015 without the city borrowing any money to build it, Mayor Stephen Mandel says.

With the NAIT LRT extension scheduled to be completed in 2014, Mandel said trains should start running to the southeast from downtown one year later because the area has large numbers of potential passengers.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz11ajjQWE1

Blue Line = SE Line (2015/16 anticipated completion)
Red Line = West Line (2016/17 anticipated completion)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 8:55 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Today the first renders of the Evergreen Line stations were unveiled. The Port Moody Central and IOCO stations are the most interesting of the bunch, with unique and pleasing designs. lots of juicy info here on the project in general, going to be exciting when this gets underway next year!

http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/d...ssionGuide.pdf

I am definitely going to one of the open houses.

I am soooo happy that Vancouver decided to build a fully grade separated mass transit system as its transit backbone (Thank you Expo Line). Is Vancouver the last North American city to have done so?
Maybe I've missed part of the discussion, but I thought Evergreen was going to utilize an LRT system similar to C-Train not SkyTrain? I guess looking at these renderings, my assumptions were wrong.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 9:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^very impressive and really the last spur needed to make the GVRD 'connected'.
They still need to build the UBC/Broadway line and they need to improve rapid transit a little in the core of the city. Transit to SFU is also pretty awful (frequencies too low and buses have a hard time handling the hill) - a better solution is definitely needed, and they may implement a gondola for the 145 route.

I live right by Lougheed Station right now, the planned transfer point to the Evergreen line, so it will be cool to be able to watch the construction. Good to hear than they are using conventional SkyTrain technology for the Evergreen line rather than some other LRT system (see: Seattle... so sad).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada