HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM

Going to look SO insane. Look at how luminous this glass is compared to other projects around the city!

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM

Base looks great.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 1:06 PM
New Yorker for life

A little older...

barkingduck99

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 3:42 PM

Via Friend's Instagram...

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 11:58 PM

Love the photo with Mercedes House.

That area with the piers needs to be redone.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post

It seems like in New York, when they remove a pier they just leave the pilings to rot. That seems really lazy to me and it looks horrible.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 7:00 PM

^^

That's on the Jersey side, and isn't part of an abandoned pier it's actually there as part of a ferry terminal. On GoogleEarth it's right across from the Intrepid on 46th St. But there is an abandoned pier with just it's metal supports left around 69th St on the west side, which looks pretty cool and was done intentionally and was manicured.

Anyway, it's hard to believe this thing has another couple hundred to go. This thing is already completely dominating Central Park South.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
It seems like in New York, when they remove a pier they just leave the pilings to rot. That seems really lazy to me and it looks horrible.
Excuse me? Those piers are left like that for a reason because they support underwater habitat. Animals in the water use those piers like oysters and clams, and birds use it to go fishing for food. This is their home. Learn before speaking.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 9:07 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Excuse me? Those piers are left like that for a reason because they support underwater habitat. Animals in the water use those piers like oysters and clams, and birds use it to go fishing for food. This is their home. Learn before speaking.
Not everyone is aware of everything. A nice way to inform someone of something is by being nice. I lived in NYC close to 18 years and didn't know about that. But I'm happy to hear it.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
They do that on purpose. Those piers are protected marine habitats.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Typical... What do you think the oysters and clans and birds used to do before the piers were there? Whatever the stupid reason, it is visually unappealing and they will eventually rot away. Do you think mother nature cares about a few hundred years (AKA a blink of the eye) of a few habitats for clams? There will be plenty of time for clams and birds when New York has crumbled into dust. Right now it is our nations premier urban center and these piers make the waterway look like crap. At the very least cut them down to below the waters surface. Also, does anyone know if all those derelict ships on the West side of Staten Island are ever going to be dealt with? Or are those a clam house too?

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
They do that on purpose. Those piers are protected marine habitats.
Thank you, I did not know that. And you managed to inform me without sounding like a pretentious tool.

Anyway, back to One57. That picture really does show how it is going to dominate Northern Midtown Manhattan. I can't wait till its finished.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:27 AM

This is a pretty cool looking building. Didn't realize how much progress had been completed since the last time I checked here.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:03 AM

NYC 2012-96 por Lindzc, no Flickr

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:56 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Skyscraper sandwich...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:31 PM

From yesterday, very Gotham!

Full update: http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...-one57_08.html

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:32 PM

I love how this building appears to drastically change height depending on what angle you look at it from.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Do I need to mail you a dictionary? What you're referring to is not called a "dock", they're called pillars.

If you knew what a pier was, you would know that I was not referring to the left-over pillars. By piers I meant the actual hideous brown Pier 88 and Pier 90 structures that make that Midtown stretch of West Side Highway look so drab. That ugly car ramp that obstructs the view needs to go. Understand?

Last edited by 599GTO; May 9, 2012 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 12:47 PM

©tectonic

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 1:58 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Nice photos.

Guys, knock it off with the piers.

http://www.commercialobserver.com/20...-gary-barnett/

“We’re Like The Avis Guys:” An Afternoon With Gary Barnett

By Matt Chaban 5/08/12

Quote:
In the world of Gary Barnett, everything is the best. The president of Extell Development, a company he launched in the 1990s following a stint as a diamond trader in Belgium, made this plainly clear during a recent tour of One57, his 1,005-foot-tall tower near Carnegie Hall on West 57th Street. When completed, the building will rank not only among the city’s tallest properties, but, with its views of Central Park, among its most luxurious as well. In other words, the best. On the One57 amenities: “This will be the best amenities package in the entire city. All the others are good. But they don’t have everything.”

On the One57 finishes: “Look at this kitchen. Where will you find a kitchen anywhere like this? It’s the best, and we have two of them.” On the One57 floor plans: “We have the best floor plans on the market.” On the One 57 views. “That’s a killer view. There’s nothing as good as this. All the other buildings, they say the have a view, but it’s on an angle. This is dead center.” (Having been up on the 68th floor, as of two weeks ago the highest, there is something to this claim—the views are spectacular, and already exceeding the Top of the Rock.) On One57′s astronomical prices: “Look at this, and it’s six-something a foot. If this was one of the other buildings, it would be closer to 10,000 a foot. And in this building, it’s not even the best views. I think it’s one of the best deals in the building, in the city.” On One 57’s architect, Pritzker Prize-winner Christian de Portzamparc: “We hire the best people so we can do the best work.”

Mr. Barnett...pointed out that this project began in 1998. “There have been 15, 20 transactions to get to this point,” he said, buying everything from buildings to air rights, and bringing in new investors, among them the royal family of Abu Dhabi. At one point, Mr. Barnett was close to buying a neighboring plot that would have squared off what ended up being an unusual L-shape site. When that did not materialize, he went ahead and built anyway. “Sometimes you have to work with what you have,” he said.

Like One57, the neighborhood transforming International Gem Tower is finally rising on an otherwise dowdy 47th Street. A new Hyatt is headed skyward nearby, in Times Square, harkening back to Mr. Barnett’s early days in hotels. Another luxury building on West 43rd Street is in the works, as well as one downtown—Mr. Barnett would not say where—and the Carlton House is well underway. Certainly something has been forgotten.

And, according to sources outside the developer, Mr. Barnett has tapped another Pritzker firm, Herzog & de Meuron, of 40 Bond fame, to build a 1,250-foot residential tower at Broadway and 57th Street. Yes, One57 was not enough. When it stops being the best, this project, and so many others, will be ready to carry on the legacy. When asked about the project, Mr. Barnett did not deny it, though he noted that, “Nothing had been settled, not the height, not the architect.” So be it. Perhaps now that Harry Macklowe’s 432 Park is climbing toward 1,395 feet, maybe Mr. Barnett wants to build a 1,400-foot tower.

Last edited by NYguy; May 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive