HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
^^^ Very nice/thoughtful. The wood paneling approach reminds me of the Sokol Blosser building that Allied Works designed.
Looks like you're not the only person who had that reaction:

Quote:
Ethics and Architectural Copyright

The two projects shown above are for different clients, have different programs and are of vastly different scales. However, I can't help but see the concepts, carving out a dark gray box to reveal naturally colored. angled wood to be intricately related. The project on the left was completed in 2013, received an AIA Portland Honor Award last year, and has been praised for it's beautiful execution throughout the Portland design community. It is a building that most architects in the city know about and have probably visited. The image on the right is a rendering for a proposed development in NW Portland, published on a blog in Nov. 2014.
...continues at Talkitect.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:15 PM

Request for Response [PDF, small] for GBD's 19th & Overton Apartments.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 6:03 PM

Approval of the Greenway Review [PDF, 20 MB] for the above SERA building at 2098 NW Front Ave.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Approval of the Greenway Review [PDF, 20 MB] for the above SERA building at 2098 NW Front Ave.
good god, that is one buttugly project. should fit right in with the other crap that has infested the old T1 site.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
good god, that is one buttugly project. should fit right in with the other crap that has infested the old T1 site.
Eh, really? I like that there will be waterfront apartments here. I also kinda like the stepped down design to the river.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:45 PM

It maximizes outdoor space. That's a good waterfront development. The scale is right as well.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Eh, really? I like that there will be waterfront apartments here. I also kinda like the stepped down design to the river.
I don't have any major quibbles with the massing, scale or the use. well, maybe a bit with the massing. but overall the design of the exterior is simply blah, at best. for me it screams suburban office park or something you'd see on Hayden Island.

with all of the decent to awesome architecture happening in the City right now, it just seems a crying shame that this site (not just this project) has been burdened with such mediocrity. I've hammered on SERA here and elsewhere recently, but I think they really have some serious deficiencies in design talent lately. I also have to assume that the developer must take on a lot for what we're seeing there.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:22 PM

From this week's list of land use intakes:

Quote:
Pre-Application Conference to discuss Type III Design Review for new 5-story,15-room Hostel (Retail Sales and Service Use). The ground floor will include a small cafe and hostel lobby area.
Site is the car park adjacent to the existing hostel at 425 NW 18th Ave. Architects are SERA.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 PM
A before E

5 story building and only 15 hostel rooms? I know it is a small lot, but I would think they could get more than 3 rooms a floor. It will be interesting to see what this building will look like and the floor plans.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:34 PM

Bear in mind that it's a hostel, so each room might have as many as 10 beds in it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:35 AM
A before E

Quote:
Bear in mind that it's a hostel, so each room might have as many as 10 beds in it.
That is a good point, that might be the case. It would be interesting to see the floor plans to this new building.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:50 AM

There will probably be a posting notice up on the City website within a week or two. I'll look out for it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:14 PM

Design Advice drawings [PDF, 3MB] for the Restoration Hardware project. I think they might have outdone Williams Sonoma in faux historicism.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 2:01 AM
A before E

Quote:
Design Advice drawings [PDF, 3MB] for the Restoration Hardware project. I think they might have outdone Williams Sonoma in faux historicism.
Well it is Restoration Hardware, the store of faux historicism.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 7:25 PM

More faux-historicism: Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF, small] for the youth hostel on NW 18th Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 8:43 PM

For what it's worth, here, in their entirety, are the of the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, when Rehabilitation is used as a treatment (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Standards for Rehabilitation
  1. A property will be used as it was historically or be given a new use that requires minimal change to its distinctive materials, features, spaces, and spatial relationships.
  2. The historic character of a property will be retained and preserved. The removal of distinctive materials or alteration of features, spaces, and spatial relationships that characterize a property will be avoided.
  3. Each property will be recognized as a physical record of its time, place, and use. Changes that create a false sense of historical development, such as adding conjectural features or elements from other historic properties, will not be undertaken.
  4. Changes to a property that have acquired historic significance in their own right will be retained and preserved.
  5. Distinctive materials, features, finishes, and construction techniques or examples of craftsmanship that characterize a property will be preserved.
  6. Deteriorated historic features will be repaired rather than replaced. Where the severity of deterioration requires replacement of a distinctive feature, the new feature will match the old in design, color, texture, and, where possible, materials. Replacement of missing features will be substantiated by documentary and physical evidence.
  7. Chemical or physical treatments, if appropriate, will be undertaken using the gentlest means possible. Treatments that cause damage to historic materials will not be used.
  8. Archeological resources will be protected and preserved in place. If such resources must be disturbed, mitigation measures will be undertaken.
  9. New additions, exterior alterations, or related new construction will not destroy historic materials, features, and spatial relationships that characterize the property. The new work will be differentiated from the old and will be compatible with the historic materials, features, size, scale and proportion, and massing to protect the integrity of the property and its environment.
  10. New additions and adjacent or related new construction will be undertaken in such a manner that, if removed in the future, the essential form and integrity of the historic property and its environment would be unimpaired.

Rehabilitation as a treatment

When repair and replacement of deteriorated features are necessary; when alterations or additions to the property are planned for a new or continued use; and when its depiction at a particular period of time is not appropriate, Rehabilitation may be considered as a treatment.

The Guidelines for the Treatment of Historic Properties illustrate the practical application of these treatment standards to historic properties. These Guidelines are also available in PDF format.

The Guidelines for the Treatment of Cultural Landscapes apply these treatment standards to historic cultural landscapes.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 PM
A before E

Quote:
More faux-historicism: Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF, small] for the youth hostel on NW 18th Avenue.
A disappointing design, but about what I was expecting for that area.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 8:10 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Favorites:

"Boston Ivy on Courtyard Walls"

angled parking in the garage

precast panel (concrete?) gap lines

...and is that a greenhouse on the roof?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 8:13 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
For what it's worth, here, in their entirety, are the of the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, when Rehabilitation is used as a treatment (emphasis mine):
But how relevant is that? This is a totally new building, right? How do the standards differ in new structures in a historic district vs. rehabbing historic buildings?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 4:05 AM

The Cordelia and Regan:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland