HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 3:55 PM

A while ago it was mentioned that Core Crossfit was going to be moving out of that great old building on 7th Street and Garfield.

They just posted they're going to be moving to 9th St and McKinley (in that old church?), and the Mother Bunch Microbrewery is going to be moving into their old space.

Not sure if that has been posted yet.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
A while ago it was mentioned that Core Crossfit was going to be moving out of that great old building on 7th Street and Garfield.

They just posted they're going to be moving to 9th St and McKinley (in that old church?), and the Mother Bunch Microbrewery is going to be moving into their old space.

The more breweries Downtown the better! Can't wait for the day that I can hop from brewery to brewery Downtown (similar to Denver). Would love to see Four Peaks have a presence Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 7:48 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post

Thats all correct, yes, the church.

My girlfriends event floral shop (Tabletops, Etc) is in the adjacent building. We've been hearing about the brewery potentially coming for months and months now, I'm so glad its happening even though I'm a teetotaler.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 4:02 AM

These are the rehabbed brick buildings with green accents, correct? Such great examples of what can be done with what look to be dilapidated historic structures. Thank goodness the buildings on Rooesevelt and 7th were salvaged so that this energy can continue to spread (sarcasm); seeing 7th st in that area turn out like the area further north with Green, America's Taco Shop, etc. Would be terrific and maybe help Garfield start turning things around more quickly.

What's the fate of all the single story abandoned structures on the west side of 7th, south of the Bio Campus? Will they be demolished for the campus? Perfect example of why historic building stock is crucial to a thriving, pedestrian-scaled downtown. That campus is essentially a dead zone, while the fabulous adaptive reuse projects around town have shown that, if given the proper care, the great stuff going on in Rooselvet can move toward and along 7th. Alas, they'll surely be torn down for a garage.

Does the Urban Form require aything of garages? I just don't understand how, after all the city has done to try and turn downtown around, blossoming areas are being stifled with little protest. Not a street of our downtown avoids hitting into a massive garage at one point... Surely, it can't be that much more cost-prohibitive to include retail space on the ground level?

Lastly, 2 questions regarding 7th:
1) Is there a restaurant of anything inside the Children's Museum? I really wish they'd have an outdoor patio or exhibit given that the original entrance is inaccessible. Such a waste in its current form, art fence or not.
2) There were rumors that a couple other structures near the Florist/Brewery building were going to be rehabbed...any news there?
3) Did I read that Circle K is trying to develop the infamous 7th/Roosevelt location again? If so, I wish the city could require that they leave their current site developable upon leaving, seeing how costly it is to build on abandoned gas station land. Also, what is the best possible way a gas station can be designed in an urban location? Can the convenience store front the intersection and pumps be hidden behind the building? If nothing else, something like the Londen Center on Camelback would be a respectable attempt.

It's been said far too many times, but how sad that the gateway to the most dynamic/urban area of our city will be covered in 2 gas stations, an abandoned gas station, and a usually-empty 1-story retail structure. Really wish they'd keep auto-oriented business between the 10 and Portland (or whichever street is just north of Roosevelt).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 1:59 PM

While I don't know the above answers and on the topic of bars, Burger Joint and Bar Chicago is opening up where 101 Bistro used to be at the NE corner 1st Avenue and Adams.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 4:13 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

What's the fate of all the single story abandoned structures on the west side of 7th, south of the Bio Campus? Will they be demolished for the campus? Perfect example of why historic building stock is crucial to a thriving, pedestrian-scaled downtown. That campus is essentially a dead zone, while the fabulous adaptive reuse projects around town have shown that, if given the proper care, the great stuff going on in Rooselvet can move toward and along 7th. Alas, they'll surely be torn down for a garage.

1) Is there a restaurant of anything inside the Children's Museum? I really wish they'd have an outdoor patio or exhibit given that the original entrance is inaccessible. Such a waste in its current form, art fence or not.

3) Did I read that Circle K is trying to develop the infamous 7th/Roosevelt location again? If so, I wish the city could require that they leave their current site developable upon leaving, seeing how costly it is to build on abandoned gas station land. Also, what is the best possible way a gas station can be designed in an urban location? Can the convenience store front the intersection and pumps be hidden behind the building? If nothing else, something like the Londen Center on Camelback would be a respectable attempt.
Which buildings are you referring to? The historic buildings on the northwest corner of 7th St & Van Buren are now part of the Biomedical Campus. I can't think of any abandoned buildings south of the campus.

As for the Children's Museum, CMOP has a small cafe just inside the historic entrance that faces 7th St. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a restaurant. It's basically a room where families can eat food they've brought to the museum or buy prepared, packaged foods from a counter. The cafe extends to the museum's front yard via the historic entrance. There are a few picnic tables outside where museum visitors can eat; however, I haven't seen them heavily used during my frequent visits to CMOP. Maybe with the better fence and the cooler weather that will change. Next time we take the kids to CMOP, I may make a point of bringing a picnic lunch to eat out there instead of making our usual post-CMOP run to La Tolteca.

As for Circle K, the store is indeed trying again. There will be a hearing on the store's application for a use permit tomorrow at 1:30 PM in Assembly Room C at City Hall. This article from the Downtown Phoenix Journal describes a better design for the store that a variety of organizations are encouraging: http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...e-k-solutions/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 9:25 PM

Well, the news is waiting for...Phoenix Council has been approved today. They will start terminal 3 modernization and also, they will be close the terminal 2.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...ill-close.html

Finally!! Long overdue....Let construction begin.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 10:09 PM

I wonder, would that change the height restrictions for the downtown area?????

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I wonder, would that change the height restrictions for the downtown area?????
Huh? Why would that change anything? Height restrictions have to do with runways. They are not moving. They are just tearing down terminal 2 and adding to terminal 3.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 11:40 PM

Does anyone know what the extremely tall crane (not a tower crane) is doing at Banner Good Samaritan Hospital? The hospital is 151' tall and the crane is quite a bit taller than that. Haven't seen or heard of anything being done there.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Does anyone know what the extremely tall crane (not a tower crane) is doing at Banner Good Samaritan Hospital? The hospital is 151' tall and the crane is quite a bit taller than that. Haven't seen or heard of anything being done there.
I think it was just maintenance work. I saw I lifting something that looked like an AC to the roof. You're right though, for a non-tower crane it was really tall.

I tried to take a pic but I was really far away.

I think I need a Lumia phone with a better camera/zoom

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I think it was just maintenance work. I saw I lifting something that looked like an AC to the roof. You're right though, for a non-tower crane it was really tall.

I tried to take a pic but I was really far away.
I thought that might be the case. It just seemed like such a large crane for such a mundane task.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 8:27 PM

Airport....I thought there was a separate runway for terminal 2. My bad. If there was, then it would affect heights. I thought each terminal had their own runway.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Airport....I thought there was a separate runway for terminal 2. My bad. If there was, then it would affect heights. I thought each terminal had their own runway.
There are 3 terminals and 3 runways. The terminals are situated between the the north and two south runways.

Runway 8/26

Terminal 2...3...4

Runway 7L/25R
Runway 7R/25L

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
There are 3 terminals and 3 runways. The terminals are situated between the the north and two south runways.

Runway 8/26

Terminal 2...3...4

Runway 7L/25R
Runway 7R/25L

But to sort fact from fiction, the runways have absolutely nothing to do with which terminal you go into. The longer south runway is used for launch most of the time as planes use more fuel in the air then on the taxi way so even though you see planes stack up on the south longer runway taxiways they prefer that so that planes can land unimpeded on the north and the newer short south runway.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Also, what is the best possible way a gas station can be designed in an urban location? Can the convenience store front the intersection and pumps be hidden behind the building? If nothing else, something like the Londen Center on Camelback would be a respectable attempt.
Arlington, VA has a gas station squeezed partially underneath the Arlington Temple United Methodist Church. From how I understand it, the gas station leases part of the land from the church and the church gets the benefits of the monthly revenue.

Can't find very good pictures, but this gives an idea of the setup:

Of course, this type of setup would never fly in Phoenix, even downtown. Too innovative and land is just not at a high enough premium.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Which buildings are you referring to? The historic buildings on the northwest corner of 7th St & Van Buren are now part of the Biomedical Campus. I can't think of any abandoned buildings south of the campus.

As for the Children's Museum, CMOP has a small cafe just inside the historic entrance that faces 7th St. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a restaurant. It's basically a room where families can eat food they've brought to the museum or buy prepared, packaged foods from a counter. The cafe extends to the museum's front yard via the historic entrance. There are a few picnic tables outside where museum visitors can eat; however, I haven't seen them heavily used during my frequent visits to CMOP. Maybe with the better fence and the cooler weather that will change. Next time we take the kids to CMOP, I may make a point of bringing a picnic lunch to eat out there instead of making our usual post-CMOP run to La Tolteca.

As for Circle K, the store is indeed trying again. There will be a hearing on the store's application for a use permit tomorrow at 1:30 PM in Assembly Room C at City Hall. This article from the Downtown Phoenix Journal describes a better design for the store that a variety of organizations are encouraging: http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...e-k-solutions/
I'm talking about the buildings further south near Filmore. They're pretty crappy looking, and some of them front 7th (they're painted white brick IIRC), but letting the artistic class get their hands on them and help connect all the pockets of good work in the area will do so much more for the 24/7 vibrancy of downtown than the anti-pedestrian, cold buildings of the BioMed campus.

Thanks for the info on the Museum - I had never noticed tables or people eating out front. Any other ideas on how to bring some activity out there? Not a huge deal, but it's a stunning building and great amenity so the fact that it doesn't look like it is even in use just kinda stinks.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 1:51 AM

Wow, that letter essentially summed up what I had been hoping for out of the new K.

1) Why can't there be two entrances? The store seems small enough that it could be designed in a way that the interior dissuaded any security issues. Being built to the street is nice and all, but just like the CVS on McDowell, having to enter through a parking lot is just embarrassing in the core
2) Having the structure developed as 2-story with a small office space above , super low-income loft, or additional retail for something like a Sidebar would have been awesome; this entrance could be street-facing to help a bit if the K double-entrance is just impossible
3) Alternatively, a small, 2/3-story building with street frontage on the south side for other uses would've been another great solution.

All in all, great work by the community. Hope the K follows through and that a decent proposal for the current site on the south side won't be too far off. Gradually beautifying this gateway and helping connect Garfield to Roosevelt is great.

Would almost be cool for the city to turn that property into an eastern "point 0" for Roosevelt Row, with maybe a cafe gallery on the ground level and tourism office on top with a ticker scrolling between the floors outlining upcoming community events. Outdoor space could be used for art, food trucks, etc.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 2:08 AM

Anyone going to this?
http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...n-celebration/

Love that this building has been saved. Any thoughts on the unfortunate lot along Roosevelt? Clearly, parking was needed, but given its almost adjacent to a light rail stop, I would have thought they could afford to eat into that space through a modern extension or even outdoor patio space that could be used for dining if a restaurant moves in, or maybe just a small exhibit showcasing the history of the building.

The positives surely outweigh the negatives, but the lot is a large break in the urban fabric along this important street. Will be fun to see this intersection if that damn "mixed use project" on 1st ave ever happens.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 12:39 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
I'm talking about the buildings further south near Filmore. They're pretty crappy looking, and some of them front 7th (they're painted white brick IIRC), but letting the artistic class get their hands on them and help connect all the pockets of good work in the area will do so much more for the 24/7 vibrancy of downtown than the anti-pedestrian, cold buildings of the BioMed campus.

Thanks for the info on the Museum - I had never noticed tables or people eating out front. Any other ideas on how to bring some activity out there? Not a huge deal, but it's a stunning building and great amenity so the fact that it doesn't look like it is even in use just kinda stinks.
I think you mean further north, then. I suspect those buildings will go whenever the Biomedical Campus is completed. I think the museum does have occasional craft activities and parties in its "front yard." I hope the more attractive fence encourages them to do more there.

Quote:
Wow, that letter essentially summed up what I had been hoping for out of the new K.

1) Why can't there be two entrances? The store seems small enough that it could be designed in a way that the interior dissuaded any security issues. Being built to the street is nice and all, but just like the CVS on McDowell, having to enter through a parking lot is just embarrassing in the core
2) Having the structure developed as 2-story with a small office space above , super low-income loft, or additional retail for something like a Sidebar would have been awesome; this entrance could be street-facing to help a bit if the K double-entrance is just impossible
3) Alternatively, a small, 2/3-story building with street frontage on the south side for other uses would've been another great solution.

All in all, great work by the community. Hope the K follows through and that a decent proposal for the current site on the south side won't be too far off. Gradually beautifying this gateway and helping connect Garfield to Roosevelt is great.

Would almost be cool for the city to turn that property into an eastern "point 0" for Roosevelt Row, with maybe a cafe gallery on the ground level and tourism office on top with a ticker scrolling between the floors outlining upcoming community events. Outdoor space could be used for art, food trucks, etc.
At yesterday's hearing, many speakers, including me, urged something along the lines of the proposal made by the eight Downtown organizations. The hearing officer concluded the long meeting by saying she'd take the matter under advisement. That means a decision may take several weeks.

Quote:
Anyone going to this?
http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...n-celebration/

Love that this building has been saved. Any thoughts on the unfortunate lot along Roosevelt? Clearly, parking was needed, but given its almost adjacent to a light rail stop, I would have thought they could afford to eat into that space through a modern extension or even outdoor patio space that could be used for dining if a restaurant moves in, or maybe just a small exhibit showcasing the history of the building.

The positives surely outweigh the negatives, but the lot is a large break in the urban fabric along this important street. Will be fun to see this intersection if that damn "mixed use project" on 1st ave ever happens.
Maybe if we're lucky that land could be converted to a patio or an extension of the building later. A lot probably depends on the type of tenants the renovated building can attract.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest