HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:00 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Which Is The Smarter Buy?

Hola gang.

Just wanted to put a quick question out to Canon users for opinions on which lens would be a smarter/better value.

I'm considering a prime lens to purchase - my first - for my Canon Rebel XTi, which due to finances I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. My 75-300 met an untimely demise last year so I've been shooting with the kit lens for a while now which, while not ideal, I've been making the best of. I've seen a lot of work done with various 50mm lenses that I like and would like to start some of my own of. Reviews have me floating between two, I suppose the standards - the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 and the f/1.4. They both seem wide enough for my needs and are certainly fast enough for what I'd normally be doing with it. The issues are cost (~$200 difference) and future value. The 1.8 is much more within my immediate price range and not seemingly a slouch compared to the 1.4 beyond build (which matters because I am, though very careful with my camera, clumsy). However, I am a firm believer in the adage that 'you get what you pay for' and am wondering if waiting and saving an additional $200 is worth it for the 1.4. Would either or one of these lenses be the type of thing I'd still be using five or ten years from now?

We all shoot the same types of subjects under the same conditions so if anyone could give some info from experience it would be much appreciated.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:55 AM

I've not tried either lens so I have no personal experience to lend you. But, whenever I have been torn between two lenses I check out this site:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...s-Reviews.aspx

The two lenses you are interested in have full write ups. There is a nice feature that allows you to compare test shots with each lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0

Both compared at 1.8, the 1.4 lens looks better to me. On top of that you get a 1.4 aperture, better low light and bokeh.

The reviewer has put together a nice comparison of Canon's three 50mm prime lenses.

Quote:
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens is the low end 50. It delivers very good image sharpness - especially for the extremely low price. It is even slightly sharper than the f/1.2 from f/2.8 through f/8 or so. It is very light (4.6 oz/130g) and very small (2.7" x 1.6"/68.2mm x 41.0mm - WxL). CA is minimal.

The downsides ... First, the lens feels like a toy (for the relative price, it is practically disposable). It has all-plastic construction including the lens mount (the optics are glass of course). A 5-blade aperture delivers a very harsh background blur quality and flare is a problem for this lens. It delivers only adequate color compared to the two other 50s. AF is noisy and the MF ring is barely useable - there is no FTM and no distance window or markings. The 50 f/1.8 extends up to 5/16" during focusing. But, it is a very sharp lens for a price that is a small fraction of the cost of the 50 f/1.4.

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens falls in the middle of the three 50s I am discussing in many ways. It has the middle price, the middle build quality (decent), the middle weight (weighing 10.2 oz/290g), the middle size (WxL: 2.9" x 2"/73.8mm x 50.5mm) ... It delivers the middle background blur quality - much better than the f/1.8 but not as good as the f/1.2. It shows the middle amount of CA, but often shows strong halation at f/1.4 (yields a soft, dreamy look). It also shows the middle amount of flare - noticeably less than the f/1.8 and noticeably more than the f/1.2. Again, in the vignetting category, the 50 f/1.4 delivers better performance than the f/1.8 but does not perform as well as the f/1.2 (at the same aperture settings). It is slightly sharper than the 50 f/1.2 from f/2.5 through f/8 or so and slightly sharper than the 50 f/1.8 at all comparable apertures (the f/1.8 wins some Full Frame corner comparisons). The 50 f/1.4 quietly focuses slightly faster than the f/1.2, but is not well damped. The f/1.4's MF ring is much more usable than the 50 f/1.8's but is not nearly as nice as the 50 f/1.2's. Like the 50 f/1.8, the 50 f/1.4 extends up to 5/16" during focusing. My 50 f/1.4 exposes 1/3 stop brighter than the other two 50s (the other two being correct). The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens delivers excellent image quality for the price.

Although the maximum aperture opening differences between these lenses is obvious, the affect of the lens design and aperture blades on the background blur is not. In the above comparison image, the background blur of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Lens (left), Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens (middle) and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens (right) are presented. These pictures were taken using identical (neutral) settings (that include an f/2.8 aperture). A tripod was used - the camera was focused on a stationary test target. In the top row of pictures, the difference in background blur harshness is easily seen. In the lower row of pictures, the effect of the shape and quantity of the aperture blades can easily be seen even at the relatively wide f/2.8 aperture. As I noted before, the f/1.2 performs best in the bokeh category - followed by the f/1.4.
Hope that helps.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 9:27 PM
3rd Coast King

just go with the 50mm f1.8. A flickr contact of mine has one of those and takes awesome portraits with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/micahheatwole/

Cant beat the price either. But the f1.4 is somewhat better but you pay for it. The best is that f1.2 but you really pay for that.

i would say get that f1.8 for now and save up for a 70-200 f2.8. Canon version is nice and so is the sigma APO version. I love my sigma. Real quality glass.

My Book

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 9:48 PM
tilted & shifted

^I disagree. I used to own the 50 f/1.8 and upgraded to the 1.4 version, which I currently own. It was absolutely worth it. The 1.4 has better build quality, faster and more accurate auto-focus, and more pleasing bokeh. It's definitely a lens that will last for years to come. The 1.8 is sharp, and that's about it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 9:48 PM

Well I have the 50mm 1.4 and it is a great lens. I think that for the extra price (it still isn't that much, very good value for what it is), it would be worth going to instead of the 1.8.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 12:29 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

It made more sense to me to get the 1.4 but I wanted to hear the opinions of others. Thanks guys! Guess I'll be saving for a bit then.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 1:17 AM
tilted & shifted

Look for used ones being sold here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...splay.php?f=14

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 10:55 AM

Either way it isn't that expensive considering how good it is. All I would say is be careful of it because it is very delicate (probably why it is such good value). I dropped mine (actually it fell out of my camera bag) in Singapore, and I had to take it to be repaired, which cost more than the 1.8! That said, I still preferred to pay more to repair it than to buy a brand new 1.8. The repair people said it is one of the most common lenses they repair, because one tap and it breaks.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 12:05 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I just purchased the 1.4 at long, long last. Thanks for the advice, folks!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 4:07 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

I'm actually thinking of getting the Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my Nikon, as I've already got the 50mm f1.8 Nikkor lens. I've heard some grumblings about the Sigma focusing several inches in front of the subject, which of course is a huge negative, but also that they will gladly recalibrate it for free under warranty. Does anyone have experience with the Sigma 30mm f1.4? At only around $300 new right now it seems like a hell of a price, but I'm just debating whether it would really do much more for me than my 50mm f1.8. Any advice, fellas?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 5:00 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I was looking at that one as well during my search and still have a pin stuck in it. I came across pancake lenses too and that looks like something to go for in the wide prime category though they're not quite as fast as the 50mm primes.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 4:00 PM
tilted & shifted

Congrats on the purchase.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 PM
3rd Coast King

Congrats on the 50mm f1.4. Good pic.

As for the 30mm f1.4, I have heard great things about it. Personally I really love Sigma. Great optics for the price. Build could be better but I have seen worse. I recently picked up a sigma ex 10-20 f3.5. Uber sharp and with f3.5 it is still somewhat usable at night hand held.

My Book

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 5:04 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Congrats on the 50mm f1.4. Good pic.

As for the 30mm f1.4, I have heard great things about it. Personally I really love Sigma. Great optics for the price. Build could be better but I have seen worse. I recently picked up a sigma ex 10-20 f3.5. Uber sharp and with f3.5 it is still somewhat usable at night hand held.
I just received my Sigma 30mm f1.4 in the mail this morning and look forward to putting it through its paces, hopefully this coming weekend!

Aaron (Glowrock)

edit: Now that I've played around with this lens for a week or so, I can honestly say that the focus is very sharp (thankfully I don't seem to have a copy that's either forward or rear-focusing!) and that the bokeh seems to be excellent. I haven't really gotten to use it in ideal situations for such a lens (ie: darkened bar/club/etc..., places like that), but it's definitely sharp, quick-focusing, and has an excellent build quality. A bargain at $289 right now!

Last edited by glowrock; Feb 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography