HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 8:48 PM

Luckily, in 1993, the terrorists did not succeed in bringing down the Twin Towers. We did become aware then about protecting buildings from ground-level attacks, and to this day, such measures are still being implemented at high-profile buildings. I also hope that many, who were able, because of the 1993 bombing, were much more aware of safety and able to evacuate the buildings on 9/11 than they otherwise might have been.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 9:44 PM
Crane Goddess

^I remember showing my art teacher that picture, of the towers after the '93 bombing. She said that the way they were angled, it looked as if they were talking to each other.
You have to wonder what they would be saying if that was the case.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:57 AM

The World Trade Center as it was. NY Times interactive.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...as-it-was.html

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:20 PM

So by doing some reading the final song that played on the World Trade Center plaza before the buildings collapsed was this one.

Video Link

This song was heard by a lot of witnesses that were fleeing the buildings on 9/11.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
No grabbing my banana!

^ Was it this instrumental cover, or the actual BeeGees version?

The BeeGees version accompanied one of my favorite scenes in Saturday Night Fever, the one in which Tony Manero is contemplating his life while riding the subway all night after his tragic friend commits suicide off the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. It ends when he symbolically decides to get out of the comforts of Bensonhurst and move into Manhattan to start his new life.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
^ Was it this instrumental cover, or the actual BeeGees version?

The BeeGees version accompanied one of my favorite scenes in Saturday Night Fever, the one in which Tony Manero is contemplating his life while riding the subway all night after his tragic friend commits suicide off the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. It ends when he symbolically decides to get out of the comforts of Bensonhurst and move into Manhattan to start his new life.
I found the video with the soundtrack. It's the instrumental version.

Video Link

It plays near the ending.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I found the video with the soundtrack. It's the instrumental version.

Video Link

It plays near the ending.
This video, for some reason, really haunts me. When you see that poor man at 5:34 hanging out of the window (on what appears to be the South Tower) and seeming to lower himself or have someone else lower him down, only to fall about 80 stories to his death. I just hate seeing it, he seemed so alone..It must have been so bad up on his floor. I guess what makes it even sadder to me is that he seemed to, rather than just jump, be trying desperately to inch down using some kind of rope, like he was determined to try and live. When I see this video, I just wonder about him, who he was, if his family got closure. I wonder if he was ever identified. I hope his soul is at peace now.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:50 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I like that we are remembering 9/11 but this thread is really suppose to be about the late 20th century New York and how the Twin Towers were one of the most iconic buildings at that time. I kinda just want to see the buildings standing tall without the planes that ruined life for many people. We can still remember America's recent lowest point in history but I like to think about the good old days.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I like that we are remembering 9/11 but this thread is really suppose to be about the late 20th century New York and how the Twin Towers were one of the most iconic buildings at that time. I kinda just want to see the buildings standing tall without the planes that ruined life for many people. We can still remember America's recent lowest point in history but I like to think about the good old days.
You aren't the only person. I would give almost anything to make 9/11 never happen. I am still pretty sad they are gone.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 12:51 AM

Scanned from a WTC Book by the Port Authority, circa 2000(?)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:56 AM

Notice the antenna under construction on the North Tower, this was most likely taken in 1978/1979.

NYC, NY, Sunrise Between Twin Towers, World Trade Center, designed by Minoru Yamasaki, International Style II by Jake Rajs, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:45 AM
Crane Goddess

I checked out that NY times, WTC as it was feature. It was hella cool. But the comments section made me want to pick up a heavy staff and hit something. One person who was a schoolteacher in 1970's NYC went on a huge rant about how underfunded the schools were (Hello, the whole damn city was!!). He talked about how his students were all poor minorities who would likely never enter the towers (never go far enough in life to work there), and how they were symbols of oppression and evil capitalism, and how he was glad they were gone.

Wow, just freaking wow. So he's happy they're gone? I guess he's not shedding many tears over the loss of those people who went with them, since they were mostly white male capitalists and just suck anyhow. (sarcasm in spades)
I guess he forgot how many people (of all genders and races) were inspired by the towers, whether to visit, or to work and study hard, wanting to be professional successes and work there one day. And not just suits- those towers had a huge staff of blue collar workers who kept them alive- everything from cleaning staff to skilled maintenance workers, technicians, and operations staff. And those workers certainly were not all lily-white men.

I also couldn't believe the twits who cry foul over what's going up now- I don't mean people wishing that the Twin Towers had been rebuilt, I mean the ones crying about how the buildings are too tall and should have been made shorter, because anything tall is a target. About how building on the site should be stopped, the foundation holes for future buildings should be capped off, and the site turned into a mega memorial. Gah, I hate weak people like that!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:55 PM

I learned to stop getting upset about those kinds of things. Ignorant people gonna be ignorant.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 2:16 AM

That teacher was a failure. First of all the World Trade Center before it's fall had workers from all over the world, and second of all it grossed the most money out of almost anything. The World Trade Center was not a failure. It was beautiful and I missed the duo very much. I still have my treasured memories of the Twin Towers. Them at night, them having their heads in the clouds, them shining in the day. I was alive then. My memories of the towers are still sharp and I can still see them sometimes when I recall my memories. I even remember where they exactly stood even from miles away from my memories, and when I think hard enough I still see them no matter what. I wished they were still here. The Twin Towers are the reason I picked architecture as my field of study. I always thought of how cool it was to have them put up, and how cool it would be to put up my own buildings. When they fell a part of me left with them. Please come back to me my old pal the Twins.

PS I found a good video online of them at night.

Video Link

PSS When I was younger I wanted to work in the World Trade Center. I still would want to work in them if they were here today. I might work in the new one someday, but it won't be the same.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 1:05 AM

Photo by Joe Vaccaro, 1971. Found it on a news site years ago.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 1:52 AM
An Optimistic Realist

The Asian guy in the bottom right was the one who designed the Twin Towers, in case nobody knew. His name was Minoru Yamasaki, who died before the 9/11 attacks. Read this blog to get a feeling of what this man was about

http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portla...-yamasaki.html

Last edited by jd3189; Mar 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 8:16 PM
Basket Case

I was wondering, does anyone know what those black squares on the roof of the plaza buildings in the model are? They weren't on the real buildings.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 7:49 AM
Crane Goddess

they might have been skylights of some sort.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
You aren't the only person. I would give almost anything to make 9/11 never happen. I am still pretty sad they are gone.
Agreed!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:34 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Me too, more than ever before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture