HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:35 AM

The new shape and top, specifically in the image looking up, evokes a grand obelesk to me. Obviously the top is different, but that specific angled as rendered feels like New York's version of the Washington Monument. I find myself warming up to it more and more.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:53 AM
Everywhere all at once

I dig the two-tone crown, it's got a great chicness to it. Between this and 56 Leonard, I think it's safe to say that my misgivings with the recession have been finally buried in a deep grave. Happy Halloween everyone

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:59 AM
THAT Guy

The design isn't quite as great as before, but this is still one of the greatest supertalls in recent memory. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all said and done.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

imma go to singapore and shake this guy's hand.

but not chew gum.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 12:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

not as stunning as the original, but I will take it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 2:23 PM

This is great to hear, very excited to see it being built.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 2:56 PM
BANNED

Very disappointed. The original was so much better.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 2:57 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://hines.com/press/releases/10-30-13.aspx

Hines and Goldman Sachs Partner with Pontiac Land on High-Profile Residential Project Including MoMA Expansion

Jean Nouvel-Designed 53 W. 53rd Street to Break Ground in Mid 2014

10/30/13

Quote:
New York) – Hines, the international real estate firm, announced today that Pontiac Land Group of Singapore has joined Hines and the Goldman Sachs Real Estate Principal Investment Area in the ownership of 53 W. 53rd Street, the iconic residential condominium development to be constructed adjacent to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). In addition to their equity investment, Pontiac Land secured $860 million of construction financing to be funded by a consortium of Asian banks.

The sweeping 72-story, 750,000-square-foot tower, designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Jean Nouvel, will house 145 highest-end condominium residences, designed by world-renowned architect Thierry Despont. In addition, the building’s lower floors will include 36,000 square feet of new exhibition spaces distributed over three floors, designed for MoMA by architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro.

Hines and Goldman Sachs acquired the 18,000-square-foot site, located between 53rd and 54th streets just west of MoMA, for $125 million from the museum in 2007. Following an international architectural competition, Nouvel was selected as the design architect. The tower was originally proposed to be 1,250 feet tall; and, as part of the Special Permit process in 2009, the height was reduced to 1,050 feet. All discretionary approvals necessary to build the project are in place and construction is expected to begin in mid 2014 with initial occupancy in late 2018. Lend Lease has been designated as the general contractor and Corcoran Sunshine Marketing Group will handle the project’s marketing and sales, which are expected to begin in 2014.

The tower will include an extensive package of amenities including breathtaking New York City and Central Park views, spectacular common areas, a high-performance fitness facility including a 75-foot lap pool and full-time concierge service.

"We are delighted to partner with Hines and Goldman Sachs on this landmark project. We have long admired MoMA's contribution to the city and the world, and we are pleased that this project will expand their galleries and enhance the visitor experience," commented Kwee Liong Tek, director of Pontiac Land Group and international art collector.

Hines Chairman Gerald D. Hines commented, “Jean Nouvel’s exciting tower will surely become an international design icon, as well as a favorite of New Yorkers. The location deserved a significant piece of skyline sculpture, and this project will deliver. Also, we think it will be a great investment for Hines and our partners, as well as for future homeowners. Pontiac Land is known for superior developments, and we are so happy to partner with them on their inaugural U.S. investment.”

"Pontiac Land's longstanding partnerships with our local banks have enabled us to participate in this important deal. We are confident in the recovery of the U.S. economy, the largest in the world, and believe in the resilience and potential of the New York property market. The U.S. will continue to be an investment destination of choice for us, so it was important for our first investment to be stellar," said Michael Su, CEO of Pontiac Land Group.

“The building’s one-of-a-kind architecture and its privileged proximity to MoMA will make this development an extremely desirable address,” said Tommy Craig, Hines senior managing director and head of the firm’s New York office.

Glenn D. Lowry, MoMA’s director, commented “The Museum of Modern Art is pleased to see the tower project moving ahead, and we look forward to working with the Hines team and the museum’s own architects to create new and engaging public spaces in which our visitors will explore modern and contemporary art.”
[...]
Bring it on!!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:33 PM

This tower reminds me of John Hancock Center.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:38 PM

^yes, with a modern gothic edge.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:48 PM

I really like how this tower has turned out, and that it's FINALLY going up. It is going to look interesting when it's decidedly not soaring above the surrounding neighborhoods like the renders show, but rather mixed in with the other supertalls going up in this area. 432 Park will look down on even this slender crown.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 4:13 PM
ARTchitecture

This has been one of my favorite projects in the world for years. Is it underway yet? The redesign doesn't detract too much from the aesthetic, and it makes the building itself a lot more functional from the look of it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 4:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
This tower reminds me of John Hancock Center.
This is a 21st century Chrysler in the making. Close to the same height, yet with a modern appeal. This is probably best tower next to WTC2 that will go up soon enough IMO.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 7:38 PM

This needs to swap height with Nordstrom.

Its borderline criminal that of all the designs being proposed/built with heights over 1000 feet, this has to be the shortest. Its the best design NYC has had in decades.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 10:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The cross bracing has changed too. You can say it underwent some value engineering. Still better than all other towers but just not as stunning as the original design.

Thank you NIMBY's and Amanda Burden, you dumb biotches!
It still remains to be seen if that latest rendering is the one Amanda Burden approved. The final design had to be approved before moving forward, and a rendering from another article shows the other version...if only they would release more renderings.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...asian-funding/

Quote:
Hines Chairman Gerald D. Hines commented, “Jean Nouvel’s exciting tower will surely become an international design icon, as well as a favorite of New Yorkers. The location deserved a significant piece of skyline sculpture, and this project will deliver.
Amen to that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 11:50 PM

I prefer the original design, especially original height, but this is still quite good.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 12:24 AM
testify

with an incoming de blasio administration, is there any way that hines could return to ask for a variance to restore the original height? it's be worth the wait, considering the site is build-ready, and i think it'd be sometihng that the could get a signal on pretty easily before proceeding, no?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
with an incoming de blasio administration, is there any way that hines could return to ask for a variance to restore the original height?
Variances in NYC are only for economic hardship, so almost certainly no.

They could restore the original height under the new mayor if they chose to re-enter the NYC land use approvals process (called ULURP) though sounds unlikely. The building is designed, financed, marketed, and ready to go.

And it's the same size (though not same height) as the original proposal, so it isn't like the developer is foregoing development rights, just height.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 2:23 AM

Well, seems like one more to go for New York....

As from Central Park, the view from 30Rock will change quite a bit too.
I made these, choose whichever you want 107W57 (or 111W57 whatever it is named) on Verre rendering and Verre on 107W57 rendering, with and without 225W57.

But I have to point out, that, actually, I think that Verre will mostly obscure 107W57 from 30 Rock, maybe it will be seen if you go to the western part of the deck as you can see on GE image). I cheated a little on the 107W57 on Verre, and I put it more to the left, although in the rendering of 107W57 it seems that they also put it much to the left.

Obviously we don't have a final design of 225W57 yet, and I have to "adapt" the rendereing we have to this perspective, so, don't take it much seriously, that's why I made one with it and another without it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 11:52 AM

Unreal. Absolutely unreal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive