HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 2:36 PM

Very fast (plus) but not really connected to much? (minus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
I should've uploaded these sooner. Here's some photos of a trip I took along the Gold Line to Rosedale in Azusa. I'm down to talk opinions if anyone wants to.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyXqnAQ
Edit - or did you mean the Rosedale development, specifically? What a waste of land.

Last edited by cargocultpants; Jun 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM. Reason: Rosedale

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:27 PM

Delete

Last edited by blackcat23; Jun 27, 2016 at 4:27 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargocultpants View Post
Very fast (plus) but not really connected to much? (minus)

Edit - or did you mean the Rosedale development, specifically? What a waste of land.
I like the townhomes there. Those are pretty dense and reasonably priced. Farther up are the expensive and unnecessarily large homes with 5-7 bedrooms. The parks there are really nice though. What is a real waste of land is in Glendora where there's a development of single family homes on one acre lots, right next to Rosedale. The two communities don't connect. You can see these being built here.

DSC_0162 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0163 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

Here is one of the last plots of land in Rosedale, right next to the gold line station. I'd like to see something denser with retail mixed in but that probably won't happen.

DSC_0166 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 3:34 AM

Non-downtown pics from the skyspace. Look closely at some pics to see some infill apartment construction and some dense neat looking apartment buildings too.

DSC_0250 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0277 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0281 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0279 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0284 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0257 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0282 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0286 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0285 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0296 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0305 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0314 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0317 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0333 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0318 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0362 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0366 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0364 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0367 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 3:48 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/one-more-hotel-hollywood

134-key hotel with 2,500 square feet of retail space planned near Hollywood and Wilcox

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Lucas apparently had a couple of stipulations: that his museum be in a high profile location, and that it be near other museums. So that probably leaves only Expo Park and Museum Row, but I wouldn't be against booting Related from Grand Ave in favor of this.
I actually think (if he actually taps LA) that he will avoid expo park. Yeah its nice and the area has cleaned up a lot and the coliseum and museums are being upgraded now and in the future. But at the end of the day, the surrounding area is still far from prime/prestige, space shuttle or not.

He's going to either push the city to help him get a museum at museum row, which I wouldn't mind at all, or he's going to push it downtown. As long as he avoids Hollywood. I mean I love that Hollywood is going through a DRAMATIC transformation, to say the least, but with all of the other gimmicky touristy garbage, hes better off at museum row or the grand ave project.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
He's going to either push the city to help him get a museum at museum row, which I wouldn't mind at all, or he's going to push it downtown. As long as he avoids Hollywood. I mean I love that Hollywood is going through a DRAMATIC transformation, to say the least, but with all of the other gimmicky touristy garbage, hes better off at museum row or the grand ave project.
Not to mention the possibility of NIMBYs being a problem for the museum again there.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:08 PM

121-year-old house moves for affordable housing

The old home is moving across the street, and will be replaced with an affordable housing complex.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 6:27 PM

Well done! I'm glad that they've found a way to increase housing density by the Gold Line station while keeping the Peabody Werden House, at least in a nearby location.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I actually think (if he actually taps LA) that he will avoid expo park. Yeah its nice and the area has cleaned up a lot and the coliseum and museums are being upgraded now and in the future. But at the end of the day, the surrounding area is still far from prime/prestige, space shuttle or not.

From the latest news it sounds like Lucas is fed up with the whole thing and just wants to get the damn thing built before he dies. So in that respect Expo Park might be the preferred spot. Or possibly the second Grand Ave Project plot bounded by Olive, Hill, 1st, and 2nd. If left to their own devices it's unlikely Related will break ground on that parcel before 2050.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 8:22 PM
Ascension

Here in Chicago, the Lucas museum has been nonsense. The whole reason why it's not being built here is because of a NIMBY group called 'Friend's of the Park' wanted to essentially keep the site where the Lucas museum was set to rise a parking lot that Bears fans use to tailgate.

https://landscapearchitecturemag.fil...museumsite.jpg

LA, give this museum a home.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Lucas apparently had a couple of stipulations: that his museum be in a high profile location, and that it be near other museums. So that probably leaves only Expo Park and Museum Row, but I wouldn't be against booting Related from Grand Ave in favor of this.
His demands are too high. This is not exactly landing David Geffen's collection. This talk of what city is going to have the privilege to land the George Lucas Museum is just weird. That it would be across legit places like MOCA and Broad is a huge mistake if the city were to allow that. We're talking Normal Rockwell paintings and sci-fi fantasy art. How much appeal is that really going to have? It's a nerd collection of memorabilia.

Last edited by ocman; Jun 29, 2016 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
His demands are too high. This is not exactly landing David Geffen's collection. This talk of what city is going to have the privilege to land the George Lucas Museum is just weird. That it would be across legit places like MOCA and Broad is a huge mistake if the city were to allow that. We're talking Normal Rockwell paintings and sci-fi fantasy art. How much appeal is that really going to have? It's a nerd collection.
You're right, the collection is underwhelming. However, it could still be a worthwhile museum if the temporary exhibitions are good and it comes housed in an architecturally distinctive building.

ETA: Also, it's important to remember that the collection can grow and improve over time provided it is given a large enough endowment. Aside from the initial endowment who knows how much more Lucas will leave the museum after his passing?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:05 PM

^ although I don't like getting too involved in what ifs or why nots....since it's exasperating enough when even a proj that seems like a sure thing ends up being cancelled at the last minute.....the lucas museum does interest me due to its potential.

however, as you've described his art collection, that aspect of the museum does make me uneasy. Some of that is cuz I don't know exactly what it consists of or how it will be presented. It's also what they call middle brow type of stuff, or hollywood type of stuff. But I don't want to be a snob about that & say such things won't appeal to a lot of the public & therefore won't greatly enhance LA.

It will be better to have a niche museum like the Lucas than to not have it, just as it's better....& long overdue....to have the Oscar ppl finally building their museum at Wilshire & fairfax devoted to motion pictures.

Quote:
About the Museum

This is the first museum of its kind, with an unprecedented collection that features fine art and popular art from illustration to comics, an insider’s perspective on the cinematic creative process and the boundless potential of the digital medium. We are a museum unlike any other.

The Lucas Museum will be a barrier free museum where artificial divisions between “high” art and “popular” art are absent, allowing you to explore a wide array of compelling visual storytelling. Visitors who might be less inclined to visit a traditional fine art museum will be invited to engage with and relate to art forms they recognize and love.

The Lucas Museum will celebrate the power of visual storytelling in a setting focused on narrative painting, illustration, photography, film, animation and digital art.

One visit may change not only the way you think about museums but what you think art is. You’re already familiar with narrative art, because it’s the art that tells the stories you love. Our collection features the original, artist-made creations, from sketches to storyboards to sets and costumes from movies. And we showcase narrative art in paintings, illustrations, comic art, photography and many other media. We’re asking you to take another look at that art with us, and appreciate it for the artistry in the storytelling.

Cinema is the most visible narrative art form of the 20th and 21st centuries. The Lucas Museum will present daily screenings of films ranging from legendary historic features to the latest and most innovative projects today. We will also present a lecture series featuring the most inventive and intriguing filmmakers of our time.

The Lucas Museum will provide multiple opportunities for hands-on engaging educational experiences for all ages and curriculum-based learning for students. You will be able to experiment in many artistic processes, from painting to pre-professional cinema techniques.

Collection and Education Programming will include:

Collection presentations
Temporary exhibitions
Daily film screenings
Film premieres
Public lectures
Hands-on workshops
School tours and programs
Classes for all ages
Campus-wide festivals

After looking at their website, I'm surprised Lucas thought his museum would be a good fit in the midwest. The museum's mission statement makes it sound like it would lend itself better in the context of LA or hollywood. I can imagine more ppl....inc tourists.....feeling a visit to that type of museum is more relevant when it's in close proximity to show business instead of something like wrigley field & Lake michigan or even the golden gate bridge & silicon valley.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 6:44 AM

It would be more revelevant to the Hollywood Strip as something that appeals directly to that tourist crowd that come to LA and wants something to complement their visit to the Walk of fame and Universal Hollywood tours. Anywhere else, it doesn’t make sense. It's one of those things that work as an exhibit that runs for 2 weeks at LACMA in those summer days they decide to loosen up and embrace the kitsch, but not as a full functioning museum.

Does anyone even know what a museum of “narrative art” is? Well, I guess it’s got a wiki entry, so that legitimizes it, I guess? A lot of art is narrative. Basically Lucas contrived the theme so he can put the whole hodgepodge of his movie poster, Americana, pre-Raphaelite, all this shit on display with no tangible theme and no actual relation to each other. The Academy actually has a tangible theme: movies. But even they are having difficulty figuring out what their museum is going to be.

The fact that he wanted it in the Presidio! And then in the middle of the park in lakefront Chicago! That is hubris.

Last edited by ocman; Jun 30, 2016 at 7:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:28 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Playa Vista "The Brickyard"

Playa Vista "The Brickyard"
As you can see, full force cladding has started.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
It would be more revelevant to the Hollywood Strip as something that appeals directly to that tourist crowd that come to LA and wants something to complement their visit to the Walk of fame and Universal Hollywood tours. Anywhere else, it doesn’t make sense. It's one of those things that work as an exhibit that runs for 2 weeks at LACMA in those summer days they decide to loosen up and embrace the kitsch, but not as a full functioning museum.

Does anyone even know what a museum of “narrative art” is? Well, I guess it’s got a wiki entry, so that legitimizes it, I guess? A lot of art is narrative. Basically Lucas contrived the theme so he can put the whole hodgepodge of his movie poster, Americana, pre-Raphaelite, all this shit on display with no tangible theme and no actual relation to each other. The Academy actually has a tangible theme: movies. But even they are having difficulty figuring out what their museum is going to be.

The fact that he wanted it in the Presidio! And then in the middle of the park in lakefront Chicago! That is hubris.
When you put it that way, you're right. Throw it on Hollywood Blvd and call it a day.

Quote:
His demands are too high. This is not exactly landing David Geffen's collection. This talk of what city is going to have the privilege to land the George Lucas Museum is just weird. That it would be across legit places like MOCA and Broad is a huge mistake if the city were to allow that. We're talking Normal Rockwell paintings and sci-fi fantasy art. How much appeal is that really going to have? It's a nerd collection of memorabilia.
I wouldn't discount the "nerds" just yet. Comic con alone attracts millions and its crazy how many of them are star wars fanatics. Having a solid Star Wars/Lucas foothold in any city will attract a lot of people from around the world. I know grown men that are salivating at Disneyland getting a star wars land. I'm either way on the topic. If it comes, awesome. If it doesn't, oh well.

But keep in mind that last year LA saw 45.5 million tourists from around the world ( near 5% increase year over year). Those numbers aren't including the spill over from the OC and San Diego. With our tourist attractions already being filled to the max, maybe we shouldn't turn our noses up at potential new ones....No matter how "nerdy", childish or gimmicky they may be.

And also don't forget. Wherever its placed, the surrounding museums, if it were to be happen and be placed near other museums, will without a doubt will receive extra attention which is always good.

Last edited by caligrad; Jun 30, 2016 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 6:19 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/multifamily-...west-koreatown

3640 Wilshire, rising in Koreatown. 209 apartments and 3,100 square feet of retail space.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 11:13 PM

I heard from an employee that the Piano bar in Hollywood will be shuttered at the end of the week for a hotel. The Dream Hotel is under construction next door and already has a hole in the ground in the space between Piano Bar and the 10 story portion of the hotel. My question is; is this a new hotel project on the space of Piano Bar and if so, what is it, or is this the Dream Hotel taking over more space?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:58 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/unique-mixed...-beverly-hills

18 condos + ground-floor retail space, now rising in Beverly Hills.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations