HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:30 PM

From the Chicago DPD twitter page

“The Commission approves a minor technical amendment to the Planned Development at 158 N. Green St. from Bridgford Foods, first approved last year. The change removes a small parcel from the PD, no changes are being made to the development itself. ”

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:32 PM

801 W. Lake (approved)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:32 PM

“The Commission approves an amendment to the planned development at 801 W. Lake St. to allow for a 17-story office building from @ShapackPartners. The new plan requires a Neighborhood Opportunity Bonus payment of $5.96 million.”

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:33 PM

edit: everyone posted 801 w lake at the same time

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnies23 View Post
Oooh henney I don't know about y'all but i got me some cantilevuh fevuh!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:18 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
You now get to decide what people can and can't collect and store on their own private property?
Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
You now get to decide what people can and can't collect and store on their own private property?
Zoning rules should decide how many parking spaces are built. And those should be geared toward addressing traffic congestion and encouraging alternative methods of transportation.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Zoning rules should decide how many parking spaces are built. And those should be geared toward addressing traffic congestion and encouraging alternative methods of transportation.
Zoning is a very blunt tool to be used for an issue where the “appropriate” amount can vary wildly between developments and even over short distances between similar development. Perhaps a general tax on parking (and not just new parking) is best.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
From the chicago DPD twitter page “Plan Commission approves a two-building project from @SterlingBay in the #WestLoop. The plan includes a 20-story office building with first-floor retail at 330 N. Green St. and a 19-story office building with first-floor retail at 333 N. Green St. ”
“The developer will pay $11.4 million into the Neighborhood Opportunity Bonus system, 10 percent of which will be earmarked for the new #WestLoop library. The $260 million project will create 780 construction jobs and support up to 5,800 permanent jobs.”
“Additionally, to make the required changes in zoning, the developer will pay $1.33 million to the Industrial Corridor System Fund”
Did they also approve the 21-story tower on the north side of the tracks? I thought it was on the agenda.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:21 PM

that much parking is just horribly short-sighted given how limited the future of privately-owned cars is

might as well put 100 hitching posts for horses out front

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 12:09 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
“The Commission approves an amendment to the planned development at 801 W. Lake St. to allow for a 17-story office building from @ShapackPartners. The new plan requires a Neighborhood Opportunity Bonus payment of $5.96 million.”

Wow, gorgeous building. I love the cantilevered floors on what appears to be the southwest corner of the building.

It looks like 160 N Halsted will be preserved (handsome 3 story brick walk up) as well as all the buildings along Randolph, but looks like 170-172 N Halsted is going to have a date with the wrecking ball unfortunately.

This building has a huge footprint; I fear that the nice variety of human scaled buildings is going away in that part of town at a rapid pace. I hope enough are preserved to keep the street level interesting.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 12:50 AM

16 story Shoreline Condo building at 2231 E 67th Street right across from Jackson Park and not far from the lake got a permit yesterday to convert 49 condo to 106 apartment units.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...!4d-87.5705588

Curbed article from almost 2 years ago:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/4/28...ent-conversion

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Aren't most of the parking garages/podiums underused? I remember hearing that a lot of garages aren't hitting capacity because there are fewer tenants with cars. Chicago hasn't quite reached the point where developers are confident units will be attractive to buyers if parking is not included. If true, the fact that many garages are nowhere near capacity may change that. It is a waste to build massive podiums if fewer and fewer tenants are using them. They're also not typically the most attractive things to look at, although some podiums have been well designed.
This is probably true of rental buildings, but most condo buildings are 1:1 ratio. It'd be plain stupid to purchase a condo without dedicated off-street parking.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:36 AM

Arent parking spaces in availability to buy by how many square feet you own. Or is there a set number a certain person is allowed to buy per building. For instance,
If you bought the 89 full floor penthouse of Trump there is an avaialability to purchase 7 spaces at $100k a piece. So what if I bought the top five floors wouldnt I be able to buy 35 spaces aka an entire private parking floor? Or do they stop you at the seven spaces so there is more avaiable for others to purchase?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:01 AM
TL;DR

It would probably be on a case-by-case basis... if the developer only has a 1:1 parking ratio, he probably won't allow condo buyers to purchase more than one space, because he'd be making some other condos impossible to sell.

However, if there are additional spaces in excess of the 1:1 ratio, then those spaces would be up for grabs to whoever wants to buy.

I think you're seriously overestimating the number of people who have multiple cars, though. Even very wealthy people who live in the city generally understand that they can't keep more than 2 (or at most 3) vehicles on the premises. Any additional vehicles will have to be stored somewhere else, maybe at a second home or in an off-site garage.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Arent parking spaces in availability to buy by how many square feet you own. Or is there a set number a certain person is allowed to buy per building. For instance,
If you bought the 89 full floor penthouse of Trump there is an avaialability to purchase 7 spaces at $100k a piece. So what if I bought the top five floors wouldnt I be able to buy 35 spaces aka an entire private parking floor? Or do they stop you at the seven spaces so there is more available for others to purchase?
There are minimums. Typically 1 per dwelling unit and some number based on sqft or occupancy for commercial. In the Downtown districts, there also maximums. You can build more than the minimum, if you with, but if you exceed the maximum, the extra spaces count towards your floor area.
Except for what part is residential/commercial, how the spaces are divyed is up to the developer. Some people want to buy two, some people don't want any. But if they are all sold before you get there, there is no requirement to provide you one.
If you wish, and have the money, you can run a car elevator to the 83rd floor and put a dozen cars in your living room. Technically it would be coming out of existing floor area.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
Zoning is a very blunt tool to be used for an issue where the “appropriate” amount can vary wildly between developments and even over short distances between similar development. Perhaps a general tax on parking (and not just new parking) is best.
The first and most obvious thing to do is get rid of parking minimums, everywhere.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Wow, gorgeous building. I love the cantilevered floors on what appears to be the southwest corner of the building.
There's actually pass-through under the building the connects Green and Halsted like a pedestrian-only alleyway.

I wish more of the wider, block dominating projects in the neighborhood would do something similar.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:30 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The first and most obvious thing to do is get rid of parking minimums, everywhere.
Then neighborhoods will adamantly oppose any new buildings. There's a reason parking requirements got added to zoning codes in the first place.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Then neighborhoods will adamantly oppose any new buildings. There's a reason parking requirements got added to zoning codes in the first place.
But what about TODs? Even without the mandatory minimum, these developments are still subject to a community approval process via the Alderman that can [and, unfortunately, do] reinstate parking when the “community” really wants it. Removing the minimum parking requirement doesn’t eliminate the approval process, but does lower the regulatory burden so that parking can be reduced in instances where the community doesn’t mind.

As much as we like to hate on the re-zoning process in Chicago, I think it really does work pretty well as a negotiation. Untying both the community’s and developers’ hands so that more items are up for debate should improve the process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations