HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:04 AM
heavy user of walkability

from today's walkabout...

the one that stretches from almost the foot of Van Ness to Polk, across from Jerry's place. I wasn't convinced by the renderings, but I'm starting to think the materials are going to make this one look all right.

Polk side

head-on

there's still quite a bit of scaffolding on the other building faces

but with the sun shining through you can kinda see (Van Ness side)

moving on, still nothing to see above the fence at the Flax site on Market at Valencia

in Hayes Valley, Central Freeway parcel O, at 455 Fell (and Laguna) is underway. looking SE

looking north up Laguna

looking NE

a peek over the fence

555 Fulton, up the street at Laguna, just seems to be a joke. such a mess this one, not even sure they are currently working on it?

and, down the street still on Laguna, a look at the affordable housing component of the large 55 Laguna development

from above, on the grand stair

more context

and since we're up there (think that's the Flax crane again)

the flatiron one at Church and Market

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 12:56 AM

timbad - same here. 150 Van Ness (van ness-hayes-polk) is okay, but I would have liked to have had something more cheery than the muddy tones. Every time I leave the building I am confronted with it. At least there is some white panels on Polk St. whereas there is black panels on the Hayes St. side. It will be nice to finally have some light on the corner as it was a parking lot for the 47 years I have lived in the Fox Plaza. (the city did not replace a street light that was taken out on Polk St. a few years ago when a guy committed suicide & took the light out on the way down).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:06 AM
dazzle me

Thanks for the update, Timbad. Agree that the dark glass of the Emerald Group buildings is pretty grim. I just really hope that they have some form of ground floor commercial space there, unlike 101 Polk, which they converted to a lobby.

Also, the Home site at Church and Market is farther along than I thought, looking good.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
555 Fulton, up the street at Laguna, just seems to be a joke. such a mess this one, not even sure they are currently working on it?
Some incredible mismanagement on this project. The latest news is that the New Seasons Market has canceled its lease.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
Thanks for the update, Timbad. Agree that the dark glass of the Emerald Group buildings is pretty grim. I just really hope that they have some form of ground floor commercial space there, unlike 101 Polk, which they converted to a lobby.
It's hard to think of a really successful commercial site in this general area. If they do make it commercial, it may stay vacant for a long time. That's surely why 101 Polk didn't even try.

Gradually, as the residential population ramps up due to these buildings, hopefully that will change, but I don't see evidence of it when I walk through which I do often enough since I don't live far.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:52 AM

150 Van Ness - The Polk Street side

I too was very disappointed that 101 Polk does not have any services for the public on the ground floor. Hopefully 150 Van Ness's property on the ground level at Polk & Hayes will have something to offer.

Look at the 2 blocks from Market to Grove & you can see the problem. The Fox Plaza takes up one block & has nothing to offer. Across the street is a massage parlor & a small beer bar. The next block has the civic auditorium, 101 Polk apartments & the San Francisco health department with nothing on the street level to offer for the public. It appears that the first two blocks of Polk Street is doomed.

When I moved into the Fox Plaza in 1969 there was at various times a small department store, jewelry store, florist, shoe store, candy store, deli, grocery store, restaurant, pharmacy, gift shop, record store, bank, post office & a financial services business. (I may have forgotten something). Now there is a bakery/cafe, Starbucks, credit union & the post office. Starbucks & a credit union is all that fronts Market Street directly for the whole block!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 8:55 AM

the view from Potrero Hill (aka 'why Mission Bay is not taller')

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:21 AM

in Dogpatch, more of 815 Tennessee's shroud has come off

excavation continues on the project just across the street to its north

more of the sidewalk has opened on the west side of Indiana

north slope of Potrero Hill

hotel on Third and Townsend, looking north down Third

the collective Folsom St projects, plus Park Tower

Folsom the other way

Moscone

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
from today's walkabout...

moving on, still nothing to see above the fence at the Flax site on Market at Valencia

My girlfriend actually lives pretty close to the new Flax in Oakland. Nice art shop if you ever get to go. I told them that I'd seen pictures of the construction starting and that I used to walk past their old store quite often. The person checking us out said, "Yeah, I'm glad there's more housing being built, but that building is uuuuuuuuuuuugly."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's hard to think of a really successful commercial site in this general area. If they do make it commercial, it may stay vacant for a long time. That's surely why 101 Polk didn't even try.

Gradually, as the residential population ramps up due to these buildings, hopefully that will change, but I don't see evidence of it when I walk through which I do often enough since I don't live far.
It's a real challenge. I live at NEMA and the retail in the immediate area is usually unsuccessful, if it even gets filled.

Our building has several retail components, including a giant one on Market Street, and only a small space on 10th is leased (to a hair salon that seems to be doing well).

The bars seem to be doing OK (Beer Hall, Mr. Tipple's). The restaurants, other than ALTA which did so well that it...moved locations to a better spot...really struggle and many/most close.

It seems to me, a layperson, that (a) the retail spots are being built WAY too big for most functional uses, (b) the population density is just not there yet, and (c) the rents are being kept too high, potentially even on purpose if a developer does not want their spots filled.

In addition, on Market between 10th and 11th, there are no less than FOUR retail slots that seem to be stuck in development hell. Ma'velous and Little Griddle were undergoing renovations and were supposed to be re-opened by summer 2016! Still cordoned off. Signs for two restaurants (Dough and Mateo's) alongside Kagawa-Ya in Uber/Square's building have been up for over a year but no progress.

The last thing that seems to be sinking so many of the businesses, which is probably at least partially, if not wholly, due to large floor plates and high rents but also might have been a "the techies will pay anything!" misguided mindset, is that the restaurants have all come out WAY too high in price point. The type of millennial yuppies renting in NEMA, 100 Van Ness, The Civic, etc love to eat out and try new places, it's just that they far prefer fast casual dining a la the Back of House/Adriano Paganini projects. Stylish, well priced, great cocktails and beer programs, and designed for quick date nights, girls' nights, not a formal prix fixe. Their new A Mano just blocks away in Hayes Valley is PACKED every night with waits over two hours on peak nights. Cadence, Bon Marche, even Alta CA came out with menus that were extremely expensive, hard to get out the door for under $100 per person and several hours time commitment. Meanwhile the bars seem to be faring much better.

The combination of these big developments stalling for so long, as well as some of the retail slots being boarded up for years for who knows why, makes me feel bad for the early adopters. They took a risk but WAY more housing should be started by now. I honestly don't think we'll see One Oak start this cycle.

Even two more towers (One Oak and Goodwill) and the smaller accessory buildings on Hayes/Market/Franklin completed, and I think you'll see more foot traffic to activate the Market corridor.

Anyway a pet peeve of mine because there's so much prime retail space and yet so little actually activated, so my wife and I go to Hayes Valley much of the time.

EDIT: In terms of the Twitter Building retail, I will add that The Market seems booming 24/7 although I know they were having financial problems even a year ago. But it's always packed and buzzing, and their poke, Malaysian, and wine bar components are always full with big lines. And the Fitness SF on the ground floor of the Twitter Building looks extremely successful, as is Blue Bottle. Bon Marche obviously closed and has been vacant for over a year, and Cadillac is never more than half full but once again, their prime point is insanely high for the type of environment it's seeking to create (crowded, fun happy hour type vibe) and I think if they lowered their price point to a more reasonable (for yuppie millennials anyway) place that they'd see way more traction. Dirty Water seems to be a happy hour spot and is empty-ish most other times, but they've hung in there, at least for now. ALL the coffee spots on our block (Starbucks, Peet's, Market Cafe, Blue Bottle, even the new coffee shop in the ground floor of the Panoramic building) seem to be doing really well.

So the moral of the story is coffee, bars, reasonably priced restaurants, gyms = booming. The slew of high-end $100+ PP restaurants not so much. And actual brick-and-mortar retail stores where you...buy things NOT ONLINE (gasp!)? Total non-starter. Although they seem to be faring a little better on the trendy Hayes Valley strip.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
The surface parking lot at Jones and Golden Gate has been fenced off in preparation for the 1066 Market St project. Been a long time coming.
1066 Market St has now been leveled to make way for this project. As a memory refresher, here’s what the jones/golden gate side will look like (the bulk of the building):

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:11 AM

On way to San Jose, then San Francisco this weekend.

Anything specific you guys would like me to shoot? I'll aim for all the usual suspects (Salesforce, 181, etc) - but appreciate suggestions.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post

Anything specific you guys would like me to shoot? I'll aim for all the usual suspects (Salesforce, 181, etc) - but appreciate suggestions.
Awesome! The whole area around the SF Tower and 181 Fremont is sprouting up a lot of new towers, so that area will be easy to snap. Maybe hit up Chase Center aka the new Warriors arena in Mission Bay as well.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 6:05 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:

Personally I think the Warriors arena / Uber buildings construction site area is the most interesting in the city right now, and we don't have too many street level views of it yet. You might also want to check out 400/500 Folsom sites.

Oakland is sorely lacking in photos as well, if you are able to get out there.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
It's a real challenge. I live at NEMA and the retail in the immediate area is usually unsuccessful, if it even gets filled . . . .
I think you pretty well nailed it.

I too go to Hayes Valley to eat (I live on the other side of it) and I shop at the Market on Market because I love some of the products they carry like artisanal bread. Otherwise can't add much to what you said.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:

- The former Goodwill site at Mission and South Van Ness.

- 100/400/500 Folsom

- Whatever's going on constructing a new ferry terminal on the Embarcadero just south of the Ferry Building.

- Anything to do with the Central Subway (portal on 4th St, stations on Stockton between Market and Post and in Chinatown/North Beach)

- Pacific Medical Center on Van Ness at Geary (and medical office building across Van Ness)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
.... Maybe hit up Chase Center aka the new Warriors arena in Mission Bay as well.
ah, I didn't know people wanted more than what we get from their extensive webcams. I could be updating when I update the rest of Mission Bay, almost on a weekly basis; I just haven't been, cause I didn't think it was needed.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
1066 Market St has now been leveled to make way for this project. As a memory refresher, here’s what the jones/golden gate side will look like (the bulk of the building):

the rubric cube concept is only interesting till everyone else does it. will be the death of a fad of architecture that is perhaps too late... and we will be stuck with. I am a fan of modular design, but not when tiny boxes are contained in a big box, with not a lot of creativity pushing the concept, and especially when bulky..... seems contrary to the original idea.....

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:58 AM
Build Baby Build

Night iphone photos, please forgive the potato quality.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:06 AM

Some cores starting to rise.

Last edited by charliewholivesinSF; Feb 2, 2018 at 8:28 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations