HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Something that drives me up the wall is a new ramen place we have in Ottawa.

It only seats maybe 20 people and there's constantly a line out the door waiting to get in. The entire point of ramen is to get seated, eat as quickly as possible, and then leave ASAP so that you're not taking up space for people waiting.

Despite this it never ceases to amaze me how people can sit at a table for 20+ minutes with a bill as people are getting rained-on outside the door within sight of their table. Serve staff need to be quicker in cycling people in and out.
That's a bit different as it's sort of a fast food place but with table service.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Something that drives me up the wall is a new ramen place we have in Ottawa.

It only seats maybe 20 people and there's constantly a line out the door waiting to get in. The entire point of ramen is to get seated, eat as quickly as possible, and then leave ASAP so that you're not taking up space for people waiting.

Despite this it never ceases to amaze me how people can sit at a table for 20+ minutes with a bill as people are getting rained-on outside the door within sight of their table. Serve staff need to be quicker in cycling people in and out.
I find people in Ottawa to be infuriating for this sort of thing. People here are horribly slow and never seem to be able to appreciate when people are waiting for them. Whether it's standing on both sides of the escalator, walking at the speed of a snail three abreast on a sidewalk thus blocking everyone behind them, using an ATM so slowly it looks like a slow motion movie while a lineup forms behind you, small talking with the checkout cashier when there's 10 people behind, taking forever to get on a bus (ever try riding a bus across town in Ottawa? It takes longer for 5 people to get on the bus here than it does for 30 people to get on the bus in Toronto!), etc.

I never have these kinds of frustrations in Toronto or Montreal. I dunno what makes Ottawans so damn slow at everything they do.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I never have these kinds of frustrations in Toronto or Montreal. I dunno what makes Ottawans so damn slow at everything they do.
Ottawa still has some residual small-town mindset that's largely evaporated in Toronto and Montreal. In the latter, a big-city mindset rules - move quickly and efficiently - otherwise, those cities would grind to a halt.

You can tell the out-of-towners/tourists in big cities. They're the herd standing in the middle of the stairs on the TTC. Stand right, walk left on an escalator is a foreign concept to them. The idea of walking/driving/using transit with a destination in mind and how to most efficiently get around isn't top of their mind.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Ottawa still has some residual small-town mindset that's largely evaporated in Toronto and Montreal. In the latter, a big-city mindset rules - move quickly and efficiently - otherwise, those cities would grind to a halt.

You can tell the out-of-towners/tourists in big cities. They're the herd standing in the middle of the stairs on the TTC. Stand right, walk left on an escalator is a foreign concept to them. The idea of walking/driving/using transit with a destination in mind and how to most efficiently get around isn't top of their mind.
I thought the TTC abandoned "stand right, walk left" a few years back because of the damage it was causing to their escalators.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Biggest small town in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Stand right, walk left on an escalator is a foreign concept to them.
People who stand in the middle of the escalator drive me insane.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:02 PM

Small townism seems the kindly view of what's been described (don't get me started on parking lot behavior in Ottawa). I've long thought of it as a passive-aggressive expression of entitlement.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
...small talking with the checkout cashier when there's 10 people behind...
Hahaha, you should see this effect in Atlantic Canada.

"You've still got that cough, eh?"
"Yeah, goin' on my 3rd week now."
"Your kids bring it home?"
"I don't think so, but 2 out of 3 of them have it now, too."
"Not the baby?"
"No, she's fine, but I had to keep the second one home from school yesterday and the day before."
"When I feel a tickle coming on I hit it with the Echinacea."
"Does that work?"
"It does for me. I swear by it."
"Maybe I'll get some."
"We sell it here. Aisle 4."
"I'll get some next time."
"It costs a bit, but if you buy Brand x it's a lot cheaper."
"Yeah, I always by Brand x..."

on and on and on... with me next in line with my eyes popping out of my head.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Here it's the fucking pull tabs, break opens, whatever they're called. I'm used to conversation slowing a line but waiting for someone toopen, check, or buy those damn things makes me squirm.

And they're of course obscenely popular here. I think something like 70% of all sales of them by Atlantic Lotto are here. I've learned over the years which superettes and gas stations proudly advertise they don't sell them, or that have a special cashier just for them, and will go slightly out of my way to go there.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Here it's the fucking pull tabs, break opens, whatever they're called. I'm used to conversation slowing a line but waiting for someone toopen, check, or buy those damn things makes me squirm.
Ugh, yeah, that too.
Customer: "I'll take six tear-opens-of-the-week and a pack of Players and this Pepsi."
*clerk hands over the tear-opens and announces the total*
*customer quickly tears open the tickets and finds they've won $10*
*customer hands winners back*
Customer: "I'll take two more tear-opens-of-the-week..."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I thought the TTC abandoned "stand right, walk left" a few years back because of the damage it was causing to their escalators.
I actually just searched this and the official reason is that it reduces accidents, as per the TTC.

TTC discontinues stand right, walk left

I stand corrected, pardon the pun.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

And they're of course obscenely popular here. I think something like 70% of all sales of them by Atlantic Lotto are here. I've learned over the years which superettes and gas stations proudly advertise they don't sell them, or that have a special cashier just for them, and will go slightly out of my way to go there.
Here they are called Nevada Tickets. It's probably a brand name and the name caught on for all break open/tear-off tickets here. They are sold only at certain stores that have a license to sell them. Wherever they are sold here, people buying them will really slow down those waiting behind.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The three main malls in Ottawa: St Laurent, Rideau and Bayshore, are all open on Saturday night until 9. But close at 5 or 6 on Sundays.

I've been to St Laurent exactly once on a Saturday night. Because I had no choice. Long story.

Anyway it was noticeable that the vast majority of shoppers were what you might call "new Canadians". Tons of families in particular. This part of Ottawa has a lot of "new Canadians" to begin with, but on a Saturday afternoon one doesn't necessarily get the impression that they make up most of the clientele. On Saturday night (or at least that Saturday night), you certainly did.
Quebec's regulated shopping hours mean that non-grocery stores have to close at 5pm on Saturday and Sunday. When we go to Rouyn-Noranda, we always remind ourselves to go to the grocery store last and get beer as it will be open until 9 or 10pm.

Here in Timmins most stores close at 6pm on Saturday with the exception of Walmart which closes at 11pm every day of the week. Canadian Tire once stayed open until 10pm Mon-Sat but no longer does due to trouble finding people to work there. Home Depot is open until 7pm on Saturday.

In Southwestern Ontario, especially London, Sarnia and Windsor, many stores and malls stay open until 9 or 10pm on Saturdays. And they have been doing it since at least the early 1990s. I think it was originally done to try to stop people from going to Michigan to shop.

People like me would actually shop Saturday evening if we could. And our Walmart here is very busy Saturday evenings. Our grocery stores are also open and that's usually when I go shopping at Your Independent Grocer. Many retailers here cannot find enough people to work at their stores so they have to cut back hours as the employees they have don't want to work later.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:54 AM

I had to be at work at 3:30 this morning so driving thru town did a quick check to see what ‘conveniences’ were open.

Antigonish NS: Pop 4,300 + another 5,000 at St FX (St Francis Xavier University)

3 Gas (2 Irvings + 1 Shell) all with C-Stores
1 Tims + the drive-thru only at McDonalds and A&W (2 more Tims will open at 5 & 6am)
1 Sobeys Express
1 Needs Convenience

So Gas and snacks only plus limited groceries at Sobeys & Needs.

Beer (& Cannabis now) at the NSLC from 10 to 10 (12 to 5 Sun)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:29 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Quebec's regulated shopping hours mean that non-grocery stores have to close at 5pm on Saturday and Sunday. When we go to Rouyn-Noranda, we always remind ourselves to go to the grocery store last and get beer as it will be open until 9 or 10pm.
In Gatineau and I believe in most major cities in Quebec, grocery stores like IGA, Métro, Super C, Maxi are generally open until 10 pm 7 days a week. But places like Walmart and Costco which sell groceries but are not grocery stores per se close early on Saturday and Sunday.

Perhaps smaller cities like Rouyn are an exception.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 12:10 AM

I would think wild boars roaming the street would be inconvenient.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-46003670

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada