HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
To play, sure. Some NHL teams have to practically give away tickets to get people to watch them, though. The Coyotes had some big free-ticket deal for the playoffs.

I grew up in Calgary, I have doubts that soccer is going to have much of a following there for a good long while. Winnipeg and Edmonton have teams in lower leagues but I don't think they're much of a draw - the Vancouver-Edmonton game last week couldn't have had more than 2000 people there. Cases have already been made for Ottawa and Edmonton eventually entering MLS but Canada is already very well-represented in the league and I would think they're going to cap the teams at 20 by introducing the Cosmos (even though having two NY teams is a horrible idea, but whatever).
Nothing personal against you (as this is the widely-held view), but only in Canada would people think that a country of 35 million people over a huge land mass that has a paltry three clubs in the top level of a pro sports is "very well represented"...

BTW, I totally agree with you that MLS is not likely to come to other Canadian cities and that three is the maximum we are ever going to get.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
BTW, I totally agree with you that MLS is not likely to come to other Canadian cities and that three is the maximum we are ever going to get.
In the event of future expansion Edmonton and Ottawa are first in line. It won't happen for at least ten years, though.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
In the event of future expansion Edmonton and Ottawa are first in line. It won't happen for at least ten years, though.
Has anybody credible said this recently?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nothing personal against you (as this is the widely-held view), but only in Canada would people think that a country of 35 million people over a huge land mass that has a paltry three clubs in the top level of a pro sports is "very well represented"...
Considering that there is 1/30 NBA and MLB teams in Canada and 0/32 NFL teams yes it's very well represented, if anything it already exceeds the ratio of population difference between Canada and the US. Canada is very sparsely-populated relative to its land mass and has a fraction the number of large cities as the States - and most of those would probably be considered mid-size down there. There are far, far more credible expansion opportunities in the States than there are in Canada, after a while it starts ringing the same tone of these silly people clamoring for Saskatoon or Halifax to get NHL teams. That said I wish they'd just cap it at 20 for good, too many expansions and you run into the same troubles failed NA soccer leagues have in the past. Not to mention it'd produce some real scheduling problems if it goes any higher.

Quote:
Has anybody credible said this recently?
I don't know about the 10-years part but MLS seem to really like the NASL-graduation approach to expansion. Edmonton already has an NASL team and I believe Ottawa might be getting one soon - I'm not entirely certain of that, though. Ottawa has made an MLS bid before as well, though they were rejected.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir; May 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Considering that there is 1/30 NBA and MLB teams in Canada and 0/32 NFL teams yes it's very well represented, if anything it already exceeds the ratio of population difference between Canada and the US. Canada is very sparsely-populated relative to its land mass and has a fraction the number of large cities as the States - and most of those would probably be considered mid-size down there. There are far, far more credible expansion opportunities in the States than there are in Canada, after a while it starts ringing the same tone of these silly people clamoring for Saskatoon or Halifax to get NHL teams. That said I wish they'd just cap it at 20 for good, too many expansions and you run into the same troubles failed NA soccer leagues have in the past. Not to mention it'd produce some real scheduling problems if it goes any higher.
I see your point but it is only relevant if the "United States" equals "the world". In most countries of the world Halifax would be considered big enough to have pro teams in most of the major sports leagues. The only reason Canadian cities (up and down the population scale) don't have more pro sports teams is because the whole issue is always approached through the (skewed) prism of the U.S. We almost have to beg to the Americans so that they give us teams for our cities in their leagues.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I don't know about the 10-years part but MLS seem to really like the NASL-graduation approach to expansion. Edmonton already has an NASL team and I believe Ottawa might be getting one soon - I'm not entirely certain of that, though. Ottawa has made an MLS bid before as well, though they were rejected.
There are roughly 10 major metro areas in the U.S. that do not have MLS clubs at the moment. Almost all of them would be ahead of Ottawa and Edmonton if they put in serious bids to get clubs.

MLS is already in the three marquee Canadian cities that it was truly interested in. For them to come to other cities in this country there would have to be a real lack of interest from cities in the U.S.

Eventually, MLS is going to start looking for a big TV contract, and too many Canadian clubs in a U.S. league is bad news for domestic TV ratings down there. Plus, with very few exceptions (Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs) Canadian clubs are duds at the gate in almost every single sport when they play in American cities.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:46 PM
video et taceo

i am grudgingly starting to accept that i may have to start caring about soccer.

with any luck, i will be riding to a game in the back of a fiat 500 real soon. with orange seats.

goddamnit, rest of the world.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:47 PM
video et taceo

look, history and geography say we're not gonna be belgium, acajack. i mean, yeah, "go liege!" -- that would be fun -- but we're north americans.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
look, history and geography say we're not gonna be belgium, acajack. i mean, yeah, "go liege!" -- that would be fun -- but we're north americans.
Hey, you and I have to disagree on at least something!

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:16 PM
video et taceo

ha - true

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

And in Liège they would say "Allez le Standard!"

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:21 PM

Ottawa was a candidate in the MLS 6-8 years ago...when the price of a franchise was about 8 million dollars. Today, you need at least 40 million $ to get an MLS franchise.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:33 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I was never a sports fan growing up. To be honest, I was much more occupied with things such as video games and reading. That was, of course, until the 2010 World Cup. I don't know what it was, but I became completely enthralled during those few months. I didn't know players really, and Canada didn't have a team, but I had a blast cheering for Ghana and South Africa. I still haven't forgiven Uruguay for that handball in the Ghana/Uruguay game.

After the World Cup, I really wanted to follow MLS, but I've found it incredibly difficult given the minimal coverage. Instead I ended up hopping on the NHL bandwagon, and while I really do enjoy it, I really wish it was easier to watch MLS. I noticed that the Canadian Championship is currently underway and Toronto and Montreal play tomorrow night at 8:00EST. I'm going to try and tune in I think.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
After the World Cup, I really wanted to follow MLS, but I've found it incredibly difficult given the minimal coverage. Instead I ended up hopping on the NHL bandwagon, and while I really do enjoy it, I really wish it was easier to watch MLS. I noticed that the Canadian Championship is currently underway and Toronto and Montreal play tomorrow night at 8:00EST. I'm going to try and tune in I think.
TSN and especially Sportsnet have relatively frequent soccer broadcasts for MLS, the Premier League, and the Champions League. Both of the Canadian Championship games are on Sportsnet tomorrow, hough I'm not sure what the regional offerings are like way out in St Johns.

MLS relies quite heavily on the internet for a lot of their game coverage. Which is pretty smart since the internet is a huge reason why soccer's popularity is growing in spaces in North America in the first place. MLS' site has a streaming subscription service - or failing that, just catch the games on atdhe.tv

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:41 PM

Btw Nick De Santis confirmed that Di Vaio might come soon and that the ex german captain Michael Ballack was also a potential DP.

I'm not really crazy about Ballack, but I'll never complain to get a player with his CV and talent on my team.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:46 PM

Soccer Specific Stadiums in the MLS. Red Bull Arena is simply stunning:

RSL

Philly

Houston's new stadium

Crew Stadium

Jeld Wen field (Portland)

*Ugly BMO field

Colorado Rapids

FC Dallas:

Red Bulls Arena (favorite)

LA Galaxy HD center:

Toyota Park (CHI fire)

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:50 PM

Houston's new arena looks really cool.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 11:32 PM
Go Chiefs!

Here is the old Saputo Stadium... I can't wait to see the new version.

http://digitaljournal.com/img/2/9/1/...to_stadium.jpg

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
We seriously couldn't have asked for a better coach. He could speak Mandarin for all I care as long as he does a good job, but the fact that he has this self determination to connect with the players and the fans is something to admire.

Video Link
There is definitely a completely different mindset in soccer when compared to hockey.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:09 AM

There is no reason that Canada cannot have a proper pro soccer league of its own. It could be like the AHL of the MLS. You have countries in Europe with a quarter of our population with pro soccer leagues. Australia is very similar to Canada in size and population and they have their own league/leagues. Countries like Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, etc. They all have decent if not very good hockey teams but they still field full soccer and hockey leagues.. Something is seriously wrong with the mindset in this country when it comes to sports. I love hockey as much as the next guy but come the fuck on... there are so many other sports. Its pathetic that we have only ever been in one world cup, a rich nation like Canada with plenty of young people who love the sport but have no where to go except out of the country when they reach that level. Oh, we throw them some scraps, but we have to keep all that money going to hockey... screw any other sports. Hopefully with three MLS teams that will start to change.

/rant

Sorry.

Last edited by ZeDgE; May 9, 2012 at 3:23 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada