HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 6:43 AM

Should Austin have a super-tall observation tower?

With the announcement of Miami's Sky Rise, I've been curious if a transit-oriented/touristy super-tall observation tower would be a big hit in Austin.

thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:07 AM

Yeah, it would be cool to have one, but I would like one rather unique. Like this one.

Just imagine a tall, sleek observation tower built right by the old plant on town lake. Right across from the Seaholm development.

http://www.asianoffbeat.com/post/Chi...2010-news-1384

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:18 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'd like to see very tall skyscraper here with an observation floor at the top. That be pretty cool.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Who typically builds an observation tower? How are they funded? How do they make money to justify the cost? Charge admission?

As you can tell, I've never been in one and know very little about them.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:23 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

And I don't really like heights. I'd go up in a tower, but I'm curious how I'd react near the edge. Probably not very well. haha

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Who typically builds an observation tower? How are they funded? How do they make money to justify the cost? Charge admission?

The Willis tower one in Chicago was like 16 bucks a few years back. I remember the Burj Khalifa being so expensive(and crowded) I didn't even feel bad not going to its observation area. San Antonio's observation tower was also too expensive for me for the views it would afford(Yes, I am cheap).

So yeah, they charge a crap load!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:03 PM

Austin consistently has some of the most Awesome Sunsets I have ever seen! We have clouds with Gulf moisture and a more arid climate to the west which allow the sun to shine as it is setting and color the clouds intense colors. This with the fact that Austin sits on the old Balcones Fault with the Hill Country to the west might make for a great view from 800' - 1,000' up.

Can someone post what one would see from 900' above the Capital?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:22 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:

There are four observation towers in Texas already, (1) San Jacinto Monument, (2) Hemisphere Tower, (3) Reunion Tower, and (4) Circuit of the Americas, one of which is already in the Austin area. There are several buildings with observation decks in Texas, including one in Austin which had been closed for a long time - although I'm not sure if it still is closed to the public.

How many observation decks and towers does Austin need?

What would be cool to have in Austin along the Lake is a tall Ferris wheel. At least do something different for a change.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
There are four observation towers in Texas already, (1) San Jacinto Monument, (2) Hemisphere Tower, (3) Reunion Tower, and (4) Circuit of the Americas, one of which is already in the Austin area. There are several buildings with observation decks in Texas, including one in Austin which had been closed for a long time - although I'm not sure if it still is closed to the public.

How many observation decks and towers does Austin need?

What would be cool to have in Austin along the Lake is a tall Ferris wheel. At least do something different for a change.
A super-large ferris wheel would be pretty incredible for Austin....seems like a better fit too.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 9:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Not sure what I think about a ferris wheel. Seems strange. But, of course, this IS Austin. haha

I wonder where you could put something like that? Out in the Holly Park on the east side? On the south shore of the river so you can get a good view of downtown?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 9:39 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Just goofing around...

Source is obviously John Rogers'.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 9:55 PM
James

I think a Ferris Wheel would definitely suit Austin better.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I think a Ferris Wheel would definitely suit Austin better.
Oh hell yes.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 1:50 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

YES YES YES!!! I love ferris wheels. I've been admiring the one in London since it was built. The great thing about it as opposed to a stationary observation deck is its constantly moving and you'd get a more in depth view as it rises and drops back around plus it wouldn't be crowded since only a certain number of people can fit In each holder or whatever they are called lol.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:05 AM

Ferris wheels belong at carnivals. And carnivals are not places anyone takes seriously. So, no. And ew.

Also, a super-tall observation tower? Also no. Come on. I don't want Austin to be a city for tourists. I want it to be a city for residents.

C'mon guys. WTF.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:52 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I agree with Syndic. If we want an observation tower, I want something classy like maybe a small scale version (definitely nothing taller than 350') of Seattle's Space Needle... and I want it to be slightly offset from the rest of downtown so that it doesn't show up in most skyline shots. West Campus would be nice, but where I'd really like it to be is the Brackenridge Tract once that area has been redeveloped with VMUs like we've been talking about for years.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:38 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Ferris wheels belong at carnivals. And carnivals are not places anyone takes seriously. So, no. And ew.

Also, a super-tall observation tower? Also no. Come on. I don't want Austin to be a city for tourists. I want it to be a city for residents.

C'mon guys. WTF.

Austin is already a rapidly growing tourist city incase you haven't noticed the high hotel occupancy rates, multiple hotels under construction and rising airport passenger counts so I'm confused as to what you mean by that? I think Austin is both, it's not what you would consider a traditional tourist destination yet it is becoming a hot spot and despite that, Austin is still for its residents.

Farris wheels aren't meant to be taken seriously, they are meant for enjoyment, I don't see anything wrong with that. When people go to London and see their giant ferris wheel I doubt the first thing that they say is where's the rest of the carnival? It is now an icon of that city along with Big Ben and the London Bridge and it's absolutely stunning.

I have thought about it for a bit and while a huge Farris wheel would look cool here, I'd like to see something unique that other cities don't already have. Not sure what that could be off the top of my head but with a little thought I'm sure I could think of something neat.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Feb 19, 2014 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:05 AM

Almost everything that makes a city more cosmopolitan - more friendly to tourists - makes a city better for residents.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Just goofing around...

Source is obviously John Rogers'.
OH HELL YESSSSSSSS. I don't know what you're talking about, Syndic....A city built just for residents is like .....pretentious.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:54 PM

Combine the Ferris wheel with the gondola/tram transit idea that was floating around last year.

I envision a tram with stations at the top of 2-3 skyscrapers. As an engineer, I suspect this might be impractical, but how coool would it be to take a tram from the Fairmont up to the Austonian and on over to Seaholm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin