HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
I think there are plans to expand the number of lanes on Willingdon from Lougheed to Hastings.
In my experience, four lanes are adequate between Brentwood Mall and Hastings. Left turns bays at Parker would be nice.

Burnaby has been assembling land on the east side of Willingdon. Another old house was demolished recently.

As for plans? Well, 5 years ago, this over-the-top plan to build a 6 lane divided expressway (RIROs at every street except Parker) was... sent back to the proverbial drawing board.

http://goo.gl/maps/mYMFO

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...+parker&page=4

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Mall change

By Janaya Fuller-evans, Burnaby Now
January 30, 2013

Looking ahead: An artist's rendering of possible future plans for Brentwood Town Centre.
Photograph by: Contributed , BURNABY NOW

The first phase of the Brentwood Town Centre development is one step closer to coming to public hearing.

City of Burnaby staff received approval from council to work on preparing a development plan with Shape Properties for Phase I.

The architects are currently working on the development plan, but there is nothing new to report at this point, according to Darren Kwiatkowski, executive vice-president of Shape Properties, which owns Brentwood Town Centre.

The Brentwood Town Centre master conceptual plan divided the 11.5-hectare site at 4515 and 4567 Lougheed Hwy. into four quadrants for development, with the first phase including two residential towers that could range in height from 45 to 70 storeys at the corner of Willingdon Avenue and Lougheed Highway.

Applying for the rezoning is a two-part process, Kwiatkowski told the NOW last fall. The next step is a site-specific rezoning application for phase one, he said.

This part of the process has very specific requirements, Kwiatkowski said, and it will likely be months before it is up for first reading.

"I expect that the site specific zoning will likely take about six months," he said. "There's a lot of detail required."

The site-specific rezoning application will also go to public hearing after it comes before council.

The four phases of the proposed development include 10 residential towers - with a structure capable of accommodating one more in the future - possibly ranging in height from 20 to 70 storeys, depending on the location, and two office towers ranging in height from 30 to 40 storeys. The design also includes a redeveloped commercial centre, a 50,000-square-foot food store, and a variety of public outdoor spaces.

For more information on Brentwood Town Centre, go to www.shapeproper ties.com/our-places/brent wood-town-centre.

© Copyright (c) Burnaby Now

Read more: http://www.burnabynow.com/business/M...#ixzz2JVdA9a2Z

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 6:37 AM

their link is broken, so here it is

http://www.shapeproperties.com/our-p...od-town-centre

wow 70 storeys in the first phase thats pretty cool and will really look impressive there

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:13 PM

For me, this project is more exciting and nicer in "feeling" (though that's yet to be proven) than Metrotown. Yes, yes, Metrotown is economically more important, but Brentwood Town Centre, will, I am sure, be more exciting to look at, pleasanter to live in, and will have a more urbane, textured feeling to it than Metrotown, which still has a "raw", "golden ghetto" quality to it. ... IMO

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:00 PM

This will be amazing, especially with Solo District and the inevitable further densification of adjacent properties. This area will be completely different in 20 years.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 4:52 AM

Brentwood Redevelopment Phase - 1 Initiated

Taken from Brentwoodstation blogspot, a great resource for developments happening in the Brentwood area.

http://brentwoodstation.blogspot.ca/...t-phase-1.html
Quote:
Shape Properties has initiated its rezoning applications with the City of Burnaby for Phase 1 of the Brentwood Mall Redevelopment. Last night, Burnaby City Council accepted the applications for review and has given the Planning Department authorization to work with Shape Properties to develop a "suitable plan of development for presentation to a Public Hearing on the understanding that a more detailed report will be submitted at a later date."

Phase 1 of the project will include the following:

a public plaza
2 residential high-rise towers
a single story commercial building
underground parking for the towers and plaza
Phase 1 of the project will be situated at the northeast corner of Lougheed Hwy and Willingdon Ave next to Brentwood Station.

On the City of Burnaby website under Council Agendas > 2013 Agendas > 2013 January 28 under "General Information", a brief synopsis is provided describing Phase 1:

The specific intent of the subject rezoning proposal is to permit the development of the commercial component of Phase 1, the provision of the required public plaza at the corner of Willingdon Avenue and Lougheed Highway, the provision of the "High Street" connection between Halifax Street and Alpha Avenue complete with pedestrian connections to the plaza, and the development of the underground parking and loading facilities necessary for Phase 1 commercial and residential development.
The subject application includes a signature building cantilevered over the Plaza area to punctuate the plaza's importance as the focal point of the development site.

The servicing requirements of the City include:
  • The construction of Lougheed Hwy across the development frontage to its final standard with a a separated urban trail, street trees, enhanced boulevards, street lighting and pedestrian lighting;
  • The construction of Willingdon Ave across the development frontage to its final standard with a a separated urban trail, street trees, enhanced boulevards, street lighting and pedestrian lighting;
  • The construction of an internal road through the site connecting Halifax Street to Alpha Ave with separated sidewalks, street trees, enhanced boulevards, street lighting and pedestrian lighting;
  • Construction of a Public Plaza over two levels complete with landscaping, pedestrian lighting, public art, seating, weather protection and vertical circulation;
  • Construction of Public Pedestrian pathways connecting the Public Plaza to the "High Street" complete with weather protection canopies, landscaping and pedestrian lighting;
  • Storm, sanitary sewer and water main upgrades as required.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 8:24 PM

Having grown up in the Brentwood area (and knowing I will be moving back there in a few years) I am really excited about this development-it's exactly what the area needs. I always hated having to go to Metrotown or downtown for shopping. Having a movie theatre in the area would be fantastic-the Metrotown one is always packed so I definitely think there is demand to support two large theatres in the area.

My boyfriend has concerns that the draw of a huge urban center and so much "affordable" (compared to the cost of single family homes in the area) condo housing will have an effect on the crime level in the neighbourhood (like how the Metrotown area has a higher crime rate than some other parts of Burnaby). I don't see this as being much of an issue-I remember this being a concern when the skytrain went in and I don't remember there being much of a change in the crime rate in the Brentwood area (correct me if I'm wrong).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Similarly, Ivanhoe Cambridge is pursuing redevelopment of the Oakridge Shopping Centre, adding value to it through expanded retail space, high-density residential units and other uses, while Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is partnering with Shape Properties Corp. in the transformation of Brentwood Town Centre, which they acquired in 2010.

HOOPP is also creating new assets, partnering with Shape on Highstreet, a 565,000-square-foot shopping complex at Mt. Lehman Road in Abbotsford, while Triovest Realty Advisors Inc. and PCI Group are developing Marine Gateway in Vancouver and King George Station in Surrey.
http://www.biv.com/article/20130212/...aise-portfolio

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 8:28 PM

Any news on this development, when will phase one commence?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 7:16 PM

Public Information Session re: phase 1

http://www.brentwoodtowncentre.com/n...lendar.asp#517

There is going to be a public information session about phase 1 on Wednesday June 26th 4-7pm in the food court of Brentwood Mall. I hope they are maintaining the height of the first building.

I have also heard rumor that the bus loop is going to be removed in the first phase.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 10:14 PM

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 10:47 PM

Sooo, today is the day, is anyone going to be there to snap some pics?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Sooo, today is the day, is anyone going to be there to snap some pics?

I just got back, took some pictures of the display cards.

album here: http://imgur.com/a/4js5u

There's not much new info, some diagrams discussing future road changes, bus stops, and a couple of new renderings of the public plaza that's part of phase 1.

There is no info regarding the residential towers that are part of phase 1. One of the guys from shape properties said they were still working out much of the details for the towers. No official word on heights but images still suggest between 60-70 stories for the masterplan.

They have some pretty interesting concepts for making the development quite pretty along the different internal streets including: a dry creek, water rapids, a fountain, waterfall, suspended art, and "distinctive" retail architecture and landscaping.

If all goes to plan, this will be a really nice place to hangout. They show images of theater seating in one of the posters but they said nothing was confirmed as of yet.

I asked one of the presenters when we might expect to see some marketing material for the residential towers and he said "[they're] hoping for this fall". It was kinda funny because at this point Jim Bosa from Appia Developments (Solo District) popped up and started chatting with the guy and I overheard a comment about how it would probably take much longer than that but wouldn't tell me that.

Overall it was pretty dull, but I had some free coffee and a cinnamon bun

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:38 AM

I hope it was a good cinnamon bun! Thats a let down, was hoping to see a new tallest tower in Metro-Van, haha! Oh well, at least the retail / commercial element of this project is looking great!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:33 AM

The render looks great, I just question the usefulness of a big public plaza in a city that rains 8 months a year. Would have been awesome to see some sort of canopy over it similar to the Sony Center in Berlin so that it could be used year round with cafes and maybe even bars.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:18 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Is it just me? The render of the plaza looks really disjointed and a hodgepodge of shapes that have no business together. I am pretty dissappointed in the plaza at this point and was hoping for something that flowed much better.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:09 PM

I thought disjointed shapes were in right now? Breaks up the facade and gives the illusion that the thing wasn't just all built in one go.

I don't mind the plans, I applaud Shape for doing something more than throwing up a half assed "lifestyle centre" but they have a long way to go. I hope they can keep striving for a truly urban area while working with the city and community groups to address their concerns.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:16 PM

Hope this doesn't degenerate immensely from the original vision a la Plaza 88 or Marine Gateway...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:30 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Would have been awesome to see some sort of canopy over it
Let's revive the giant clam!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 8:32 PM

Thanks for the pics!

Agreed that disjointed designs are "in" - UBC's SUB plaza comes to mind.
Looks like a logical corridor leading to the existing mall.

I hope the opening under that escalator doesn't read "underground parkade" like at the Canadian Tire on SW Marine Drive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley